“My Amazing Costa Rica Adventure!”
Review of Hotel Cacts

Hotel Cacts
Ranked #47 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed May 2, 2012

What an incredible first trip to Costa Rica!

I was there to see Dr Marcos for dental work and it was very convenient due to being right next door literally foot steps away!

The staff at Hotel Cacts made me feel safe and were always there for me when I needed anything.

The free breakfast in the morning was something I always looked forward to before going to bed at night.

The only complaint I had was the internet as I had to move around to certain spots in my room to pick a good signal at times. Oh yeah and its not the hotels fault but the birds in Costa Rica start chirping VERY LOUDLY every morning at 4am.... BRING EAR PLUGS!! ha!!

Thank you Hotel Cacts! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 17 for 5 days.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ROBERTLBEUKEMA

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Rooms are modest, functional, and clean. Breakfast ever morning up stairs, very nice, eggs, gallo pinto, buffet of fruit and juice, toast and 24 hour coffee and tea available also Included. No matter where we travel, ( I worked for an airline all my life ) I always got spray Lysol and did the hotel rooms and beds and bath - then enjoyed the freshness for the rest of my stay and felt secure about the added personal sanitary efforts of the spray Lysol.

Next door is one of the best and best priced dentists in the country, we had everything done - implants, bone grafts, bridge work, an instant implant what was like a miracle on our grand daughter also, and saved a $ 5 to $ 10 dollar cab ride each and every day.

It is also close to down town, and we walked it often to do some little shopping and looking about. The Cacts Hotel desk owner arraned for some tour companies to come to the hotel to pick us up for river rapids tour, also a boat to a Pacific Island and feast there, and to a dinner in the mountains surrounding the city with a show of old Costa Rica dancing. They were all great.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are cheap - give away prices - but the markets are not neither is much of anything else either. We have fantastic Chinese buffets here that are not matched there, not even close, so be careful about that.

Room Tip: The best room is a matter of your own preference.
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Fl0ridaG0ldenGirl
Reviewed June 20, 2011

i killed two cockroaches in the bathroom! the hole room smeel very very bad, nobady carried my suitcase, the shower and the sink were dropping, the blankets were too DIRTY , the toilet papper was the cheaper i ever used i paid 60$ it was a terrible experience y leave next day and for 40$ more (112$) y found the hotel of my dreams...! Rincon del valle close to the stadium! i recomend it!...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gigi2831
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Very secure hotel with clean sheets and towels. Bedding is old. Breakfast is included which is nice. All in all, good value. I wouldn't go walking around outside of the hotel though.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MtnSailor
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I've been in Cacts from March 20th to 28th and It was an amazing experience. The first day the recepcionist received us very good, she was worried for us and give us a little paper for each one with the hotel address and telephone, she explain us how to visit the downtown and give us a map.
The hotel is little but is so homely that most of the guests I met there return again. Some of them each year. In the hotel you will find all type of turist with different nationalities specially from USA, Canada and France. Some of them are groups of students or old people. The Cacts has a little pool and a Jacuzzy. Is in the downtown and you can walk to visit the National Theater, some restaurants and a little mall with fastfood.

The breakfast in the hotel is simple but delicious, you will find tea, coffe, fruit (pineapple, watermelon & papaya), fruits juice, "gallo pinto", eggs & bread.
The hotel is a really calm place, if you visit costa rica with a prepaid tour is great.

Also the lobby has 3 computers with internet with a cost, few books, magazines and WiFi service free if you bring your laptop.
Important: If you travel with a book you can exchange it for another one in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sof4EVER
Reviewed March 16, 2011

After Gaudys Backpacker gave our room away to someone else after I reserved 1 month in advance and reconfirmed our reservation twice, we ended up staying at Hotel Cacts and it is a very nice place with very friendly staff. San Jose itself is not the best or safest place to stay, but if you are staying in San Jose this is one of the best and safest places with ample, secure parking.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The place is older, but not run down; real character architecture. I loved sitting in the restaurant area, feeding the birds and admiring the view of the mountains; pretty serene place. They serve you a nice breakfast every morning, and you're close by everything in San Jose. Owner is super nice, friendly and above all helpful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple