“Great Place if you stay in San Jose”
Review of Hotel Cacts

Hotel Cacts
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed March 16, 2011

After Gaudys Backpacker gave our room away to someone else after I reserved 1 month in advance and reconfirmed our reservation twice, we ended up staying at Hotel Cacts and it is a very nice place with very friendly staff. San Jose itself is not the best or safest place to stay, but if you are staying in San Jose this is one of the best and safest places with ample, secure parking.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 23, 2011

The place is older, but not run down; real character architecture. I loved sitting in the restaurant area, feeding the birds and admiring the view of the mountains; pretty serene place. They serve you a nice breakfast every morning, and you're close by everything in San Jose. Owner is super nice, friendly and above all helpful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Stayed a total of 32 days on 2 occasions. Unbeatable. Close to Dr. Cavallini's Dental Clinic (the purpose for the trip to Costa Rica) - Clean rooms. Best value around - Safe, secure area (across from Police Station). Nice swimming pool. sauna. No AC but this is Costa Rica, not Las Vegas, NV (where egotistical types got with more money than they deserve). You cannot beat the Cacts! And, fo dental issues, Dr. Cavallini and his staff are the best!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank michaelbinca
Reviewed July 21, 2009

The cleaning staff leave the ceiling fans on for a reason-to help deal with the musty smell and poorly ventilated sewer system. The sheets and towels are about a year past their usable life in most other hotels. The pool is barely deep enough to swim laps in and there is no "hot" in the hot tub. The wifi is only accessible in one spot. On the plus side the breakfast area and rooftop have an excellent view. The staff are friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank BeantownTourist
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the first and last leg of our trip in early May. Our room was clean and it had 3 beds. I felt very comfortable in the hotel as we had to be buzzed in. The hotel staff could not have been any more helpful. It was close enough to walk to downtown (for us) and there were a few restaurants nearby. There were also several car rental places nearby. We ate at a place called Maria Bonita twice. It was very good. This is not a 5 star hotel, but it worked well for us. The location was good and we had no problem finding it when we drove back into San Jose. The sound does carry though. That was the only downfall to Hotel Cacts. We plan to return to Costa Rica and will stay here again. It was close the airport and was easy to leave San Jose from here and easy to get back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mic1013
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Cacts the first night of my trip to Costa Rica, and I must say it was gross. I got in around 10 pm so really couldn't roam around the city looking for somewhere else to stay. They put me in a cavernous room with four beds (solo traveler), that smelled like mold and was very dirty. The man who let me in couldn't do anything about moving me to another room, and the front desk was closed. I couldn't bring myself to take a shower and was relieved be out of there the next day. The people who work there were friendly and helpful in the morning, and told me the way to the bus station. For two days after that my head was very itchy and I was thinking I got lice from the bedding. I know there is a newer section of the hotel that is pricier, but I still wouldn't stay there again. Wish I would have stayed in a clean hostel instead.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank beatgrrl
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I enjoyed Hotel Cacts while staying in San Jose. I don't normally like staying in town too long as the rest of the country just has so much beauty to offer, but I just recently stayed here for one night and thought it was one of the better places I have stayed in San Jose. The staff was very friendly and called me on time for my wake-up call (which has not happened at a few other hotels in town). All in all Hotel Cacts is a good value and located in a good area for walking and has easy access to the international airport.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo