It was hard to find, you drive around a really bad neighborhood in San Jose seeing fences and barred windows everywhere, and eventually it opens to a grand arch gateway with a guard shack. It feels like entering a military installation with 10ft high walls topped with metal spikes. I assume these are for good reason, but felt like it was unsafe to leave the hotel perimeter. The layout was odd and looked like something from a WWII film. The suites are arranged oddly with strangely fitted kitchens, weird room layouts and disproportional spaces. At first my thought was hmm, maybe this was some sort of old embassy compound that was refitted to be a hotel? The room they put us in edificio #1 room 105 was moldy and made my allergies act up awful in the first 10 minutes. We asked to be moved and they essentially said no, they were full (July is the off/rainy season in costa rica, at this time there were maybe 3 cars and 1 tour bus in the place.) We complained further and they said the only other rooms were larger "master Suites" and they would be a large upcharge. I asked to speak with the Gate1 rep and they somehow immediately found a room. This room was the same size, just one bedroom instead of 2 and had a Jacuzzi tub. My girlfriend and I never needed or asked for a kitchen or a 2 bedroom unit for a one night stay for 2 people. The Jacuzzi took 2 hours to fill and then was not leveled properly so the last inch of water didn't drain. I kept noticing little details and oddities in the construction, and it led me to believe that it was a old building, but then I googled it and found that it was a developer that built it in 2005. This place was built in 2005 and its already falling apart, it was actually designed so poorly that the spaces were supposed to be that way, not just retrofitted. Maybe the 2 bedrooms are nice for large groups, but the location is dangerous and the building is poorly constructed, I hope tour groups start using a better hotel to launch from, I would never return here. Add on the fact that this place is over 45 minutes from the airport and its just a poor choice. They had free wifi, but it hardly worked, kept having to walk around to find a signal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Conde Hotel & Suites is a Four Acre Colonial Village style hotel of 110 guest rooms located within a residential neighborhood where you will be able to share a cup of Costa Rican coffee with our Good Neighbor Package. Casa Conde Hotel & Suites is located 30 minutes from the Juan Santamaria International Airport and just 5 minutes from downtown San Jose where you will be able to enjoy spectacular plays in the National Theatre with our Cultural Package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Casa Conde Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Conde Apartotel & Suites San Jose Hotel San Jose
- Casa Conde Apartotel And Suites San Jose
- Casa Conde Apartotel San Jose
- Casa Conde Hotel & Suites Costa Rica/San Jose