“Old World Charm Mixed with the New” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Rosa del Paseo

Hotel Rosa del Paseo
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
London, United Kingdom
“Old World Charm Mixed with the New”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Background: This was to be the jumping-off point for a 3-week group tour of Central America. I managed to arrive very early on a red-eye flight before the roosters even started crowing, so to speak. This remodeled hotel used to be the home of the Montealegre’s family, one of the main coffee exporters to Europe in the early 1900's, when Costa Rica was the "Coffee Capital of the World." The mansion was designed in a charming mixture of Caribbean Victorian with Art Nouveau styles by the famous Spanish architect Luis Llac, of the renowned Barcelona School of Architecture.

PROS: Location is one of its best assets. Situated close to the city centre of San Jose, the place is a leisurely 20-minute walk to Mercado Central and several museums. It is along the main highway (#2 Paseo Colon) and close enough to McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and other fastfood joints. Room rates are reasonable and of good value compared to its peers for its 3-star rating. The room decor had an Old World Colonial charm to its motif, hearkening back to its coffee plantation roots. There are the usual perks: cable TV, ceiling fan and in-suite bathroom. There is also free WiFi and private parking. Providing a 24-hour receptions desk, service is very good to excellent. The staff may be soft-spoken, but they are very helpful and accommodating.

CONS: I agree when other reviewers say that this establishment is big on security but only because an old iron grill takes the place of keyless door entry and CCTV cameras. True, they prioritize safety over convenience. The entry doorway was always locked and Reception needs to be buzzed every time -- every time -- a guest enters or exits. There were some delays at times when the receptionist wasn't at the desk and I had to wait a few minutes to go out the door. Although there's free WiFi, the signal was spotty and does not reach all of the bedrooms. Furthermore, there were no toiletries, in-suite safe or coffee. Alas, the meals were also not included with the room rates.

Liked: Good value, Excellent service

Disliked: Needing to call Reception every time to enter or exit the front door

Verdict: There you have it -- the positives balance out the negatives. While there are some negatives, they are almost non-issues for me. You see, I'm not such a fussy traveller and I could put up with a lot. By Costa Rican standards, it is good value for your money. Adequate for a few nights as a base to explore the Costa Rican capital. Your call. Grade B+.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eternal_Nomad_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

We loved this beautiful hotel. Each room is furnished with antiques from the Plantation days when Costa Rica was the Coffee Capital of the world. The hotel represents a wonderful past yet is well appointed with modern amenities. The hotel Manager Fernando provided us with its history and made a great evening restaurant recommendation. Would definately recommend staying there again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the interior courtyard.and are good.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I earlier wrote a review on the Casa Colon hostel and it was because of my crummy stay there I knew I had to find another place to spend the night....hopefully one that was quiet, decently appointed and still near the Pulmitan bus station. I needed rest, quiet and calm.

I was walking back up Paseo Colon after a long day of dealing with business matters when I saw an older gentleman emerging from this gorgeous old home.....our eyes met and we both smiled. I looked up and saw the sign and thought, why not check it out?

After being buzzed in, yes this place is big on being secure, I asked the usual questions and was given a tour of this classic Caribbean Colonial hotel that was once home to a former Costa Rican president. To say that this place gave me an immediate sense of calm (old polished tile and hardwood floors throughout and tastefully decorated with art and antiques) would be an understatement.

The courtyard garden was inviting and the first room shown to me with a king sized bed and bathroom replete with a deep bathtub had me instantly hooked. AFter living months in a tiny beach village and only having cold water showers I knew I could not turn this opportunity down especially given that the room was marked down in price to $60 and still included a petit dejeuner. The bath was, needless to say, wonderful.

There are two levels, and plenty of salon space to chill out in.....in fact i felt so relaxed there that the Friday evening rush hour traffic outside ceased to exist for me. I was taken back to other experiences in Merida, Oaxaca, Mexico City and Falmouth.

My bed was quite comfy and the staff was incredibly attentive and helpful. I know that the next time I have business in San Jose, this is where I will be staying. It is so worth it.

There were some issues with the internet but that is to be expected in this country.

Room Tip: Tell them what you need right up front.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RoZeeGee
CAlifornia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

I lived in CR for a little of 2 years and barely found out about this place in my last 6 months or so in CR. After staying in countless hotels, I found Rosa del Paseo to be very accommodating, rooms are clean, staff is soft spoken but very polite. We had Thanksgiving at this hotel in November 2008 and they allowed us to use their kitchen to cook. They go out of their way to make you feel as much at home as possible. When I left for the states in June of 2009, I had an early morning flight and the shuttle I book did not arrive. The owner/manager of the hotel woke me up (I did not hear my alarm), checked on the shuttle (although it was nowhere in sight) and then took me to the airport himself. I paid and tipped him but I still think you can't beat their service for that price. Happy Traveling!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Adelaide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

This is a nice(ish) B&B but it has the following problems:

1. The owners seem to have different ideas about what needs to be done to accomplish things. They stuffed up our reservation, stuffed up tours and could not work out how to book various things or whether we needed to pay them in cash or card. At one point they paid themselves for a tour and then asked for extra money. It made Fawlty Towers look sophiticated at times.

2. The place is very much a B&B. You have to ring a bell to get into the property and sometimes it is not answered for several minutes.

Apart from this the property is nice. It is a bit overpriced to be honest but then so is Costa Rica overall.

The free breakfast is good.

• Liked — It is a lovely building
  • Disliked — The front desk does not work. For the price paid they should have some staff.
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nljtravelling

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Zürich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

We booked this hotel via internet and our reservation was confirmed, but when we arrived, the hotel was full and we had to move to another hotel. The next day we came back and stayed for two more nights. The Master Suite has a Jaccuzi and when we wanted to use it, it did not work. Also the TV did not work properly due to a missing cable. The "Tropical Breakfast" was a joke: one banana, some slices of pineapple and some slices of papaya plus two slices of toast. My daughter who lives in San José joined us for the second night and we did not use an additional bed, we shared my bed - the hotel charged us additional USD 30.00, which I think, was not right. The rooms are nice, but the hotel is not worth its price.

• Disliked — The fan
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travel_Guide_7
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2007

Rosa del Paseo is a warm and welcoming place to stay in the bustling financial district of Downtown San Jose. My boyfriend and I stayed there our first night in Costa Rica before heading off to Manuel Antonio Beach for the main part of our trip. The historical house and it's lush courtyard was very warm, beautiful, and inviting; being able to relax in such an environment after our long flight was just what we needed.

It's fair to say that this hotel (and it's **wonderful** manager Fernando!!) made a great first impression on our inaugural visit to the beautiful country of Costa Rica.

• Liked — Historical Building, Friendly Staff, Convenient Downtown Location
  • Disliked — Expensive Airport Transfer
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple