All reviews costa rica los yoses san pedro mall the hotel staff minute walk to downtown charming hotel rice and beans breakfast included neighborhood tropical supermarket cab tours
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Hotel Bergerac is in a good location to walk to the few sights in San Jose. They offer an airport pick up and drop off. The hotel is a bit tired and could do with a refurbishment of the rooms. However everything worked, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Free wi-fi. All staff were very friendly and helpful.
Prices in Costa Rica are high so probably Hotel Bergerac was reasonable value.

I was in room 16. This is opposite the dining area so you need to keep the curtains closed while getting dressed as someone could walk by and people having breakfast can see in to the room.

I also stayed in room 24 at the end of an Intrepid trip. I can’t comment on the value for this as it was part of the trip. This is a large twin with 2 double beds, slightly further away from Reception. At the time I stayed the shower head was missing and the water came out in a very concentrated stream, like a laser. As as I left at 3am for my flight, I didn’t get a chance to point out to hotel staff that this needed fixing. (However, some others on the Intrepid trip had stayed in room 24 two weeks earlier and had the same issue with the shower).

Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Rosie C
Reviewed February 17, 2018

This is a comfort level hotel. We have been hoteling in remote and perhaps level 2 hotels that have either broken knobs, tepid or cold water.
We arrived here mid-morning and check in is not until 2 pm. We left our luggage under the stairs and hit the town for city tour.
When we checked in, I took a shower and yes, they have hot water. The rooms are very spacious and bright with natural light in the bathroom (sunlight) and rooms open up in a tiny but quaint courtyard complete with two chairs and a table.
My problem was with the misunderstanding of not having breakfast included which was settled in the end. The staff reached out and worked with us to meet our needs and comfortable stay.
It is walking distance to the city. Just follow the railroad tracks. For comfort level, this is a decent hotel.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Indiana_Jonesse
Reviewed February 1, 2018 via mobile

Hotel bergerac is a great place to stay if your in the city of San Jose. It has a nice garden vibe, very friendly staff and is located within walking distance of the city centre. The room was big and clean and wel maintained by housekeeping. The only drawback was the noise of (I think) the trainhorn which was pretty loud but I think the whole extended neighbourhood will have the same issues with it. Nonetheless a great stay so 4 stars from us.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maartendg85
Reviewed January 31, 2018

Charming reasonably priced hotel. Stayed in 2 diferent rooms and both were well presented with access to small tropical gardens. Good bathrooms, large TV's, clean and pleasant, but no bar fridge in either room.
Front desk staff spoke English and arranged day tours for me. They are friendly and helpful. Restaurant okay, decent though unremarkable meals, small bar with jovial staff speaking passable English. Starbucks is right next door and the main shopping plaza very close.
I quite enjoyed my stay here and recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Sally W
Reviewed January 16, 2018

I guess you get what you pay for. Basic room. Only one English speaking TV channel I could find.
Pluses: Quiet. Nice area. Walking distance to city centre if fit...3km or so. Breakfast ok.Free wifi.
Minuses: Taxi booked from airport not there (although we had 3.5 hrs hold up at immigration so wouldn't blame them if they left!) Reception got my name wrong twice. They tried to charge us for breakfast when it was included in our package.The room needed a spruce up.
Booked with Intrepid and if this is their standard of hotel, i'm not sure it's for me.
Personally I'd pay a bit more for a better hotel but fine if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo