All reviewscosta ricalos yosessan pedro mallthe hotel staffminute walk to downtowncharming hotelrice and beansbreakfast includedneighborhoodtropicalsupermarketcabtours
Reviewed July 15, 2012

this small hotel is located in los yoses which is a great part of san jose. close to the center but without the hustlers. the facility is nice but what sets this place apart is the excellent service from the well trained staff at the front desk and restaurant. this place is great for couples but also nice for families or business travelers such as myself. the only downside was that my room did not have ac but the fan was enough in june.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
lebergerac, General Manager at Hotel Le Bergerac Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

It makes us happy to know that our staff gave an excellent service to you. As you have mentioned, we are located close to dowtown, historical places, restaurants, museums ans theaters.
We want to thank you for writing a review of us.
We hope to see you on your next trip to Costa Rica,

Pura vida! Cordially,

Alejandra García
Assistant Manager

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Overall, a very nice stay and excellent service from the hotel.

I stayed at the Hotel Le Bergerac at the beginning and conclusion of a trip to Costa Rica in July 2012. We stayed in San Jose for a few days at the beginning of our trip and one day at the end, both in this hotel. I think if I traveled again I would pick a different hotel for the conclusion of our trip, because there are definitely options that might have been more convenient to the airport for our last night. However, the hotel was very nice.

It's located in Los Yoses, and we walked to many places from the hotel, including down the Central Avenue to the national theater and gold museum (probably a 20 minute walk), and the other direction to visit the San Pedro mall (maybe a 10 minute walk). For safety we only went out walking during the day; not at night, and note that it gets dark between 5-6 pm.

Transportation: I used the hotel's service of arranging an airport pickup when I arrived. The driver met me as described and it was very convenient.

Service: Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. I don't speak Spanish but fortunately the hotel employees were good at English. The only time I had language trouble was prior to my arrival. I arranged my reservation conveniently in English over email, but experienced flight delays the day of my arrival and called the hotel to try to let them know that I was going to be delayed and needed to change my airport pickup time and that other members of my party might now arrive before me. Had a bit of trouble being understood in English on the phone with the person I connected with, but I also sent an email and received a prompt response about my flight changes via email in English.

Hotel employees were courteous about arriving and checking in and departing, and tried to help us with questions about transportation and how to get places.

Food: The included breakfast (tipoco breakfast) was very tasty and included a small plate of fruit, coffee, juice, croissants or bread, and a generous portion of eggs and gallo pinto. We ate dinner at the hotel also and that was also good. Plan for more of a lingering slow meal.

Room: Both the rooms we stayed in were spacious. There was no AC but it was not missed. The rooms had nice windows with breezes and an effective fan. Note that with the windows open for air there was a bit of noise from outside the windows when cars drove by or other guests walked past the room, though some of the rooms might have been more private than ours in the layout. The bathroom in particular was good sized in our first room (23) and reasonable in the second room (21).

Beds were fine. When I first arrived I felt that the sheets were scratchy but it didn't bother me past noting it when I first got there. Some of the pillows were a bit lumpy.

I had read (in other reviews) that most hotels in Costa Rica have some amount of bugs (ants, etc) in the rooms, so I wasn't surprised by a few ants in our rooms here and they were not annoying. When eating breakfast out on the lovely outdoor terrace, there was the occasional fly buzzing around, but it was not annoying and I didn't have any problems with mosquitoes, which was nice.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel, all your comments are very much appreciated.
We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
We hope you can consider our property next time you visit our beautiful Costa Rica.

Alejandra García

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Not only is the hotel a lovely oasis, but the service is excellent. The staff helped with excursions, travel arrangements, directions, and restaurant recommendations. They even brought breakfast to our room when my sister was ill. They helped me practice my Spanish and served as translators on phone calls. I have never relied on staff at a hotel as much as I did as Hotel Le Bergerac, and they were unfailingly helpful and cheerful.

Room Tip: We stayed for a week and used the patio quite a bit. Paying extra for a patio was worth it for us.
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are more than happy to read that you have enjoyed our oasis of tranquility in the heart of San José.
Thank you for letting us know that we helped you having an enjoyable stay in the hotel and that the recommendations given were a success!!

Esperamos nos visite en su próximo viaje a Costa Rica.

Alejandra García / Assistant Manager

Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel was lovely! Each room has a little patio surrounded by greenery. The rooms were cleaned perfectly every day. Breakfast was delicious, as was dinner. Most importantly, the staff was absolutely wonderful! I stayed for several days and one morning I felt ill so I stayed in my room. Without being asked, someone brought breakfast to my room. This kind of thoughtfulness was on display throughout my visit. The concierge spent a great deal of time with us and with other visitors to help them coordinate trips and find restaurants, historical sites, tour groups, etc. I really can't say enough about how friendly and kind the staff was.

Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are happy to know that the service given filled your expectations. Our goal is to make guests feel as they were at home and that they have an memorable stay while visiting San José, a city full of historical sites, restaurants, beautiful architecture, theaters, etc.
Please consider our property next time you visit San José.

Alejandra García // Assistant Manager

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed for one night at the end of our CR vacation, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We had booked a larger room and it was plenty big enough, classic white walls and hardwood floors with an enormous bathroom. The bedroom had a small patio planted as a dense garden, full of butterflies and birds.

The lobby is small but elegant, and the restaurant overlooks a courtyard garden. Hotel is on a very pleasant and quiet residential sidestreet, but a short walk from stores, bars etc.

Breakfast was excellent, dinner was OK, staff were all very pleasant, but Erick the waiter/barman is a total star.

Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your large room and the beautiful garden full of butterflies and birds, which made the view even prettier!
We are happy to read that breakfast and restaurant service were excellent.

Next time you visit San José, please consider to come back to our oasis of tranquility, it will be a pleasure to see you again!

Kind regards.