New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Phoenix, Arizona
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

There wasn't much we liked about this hotel. We arrived early evening on a Sunday looking for dinner locations. The man at the desk was less than interested in helping us. The sheets in the room felt like those cheap, overwashed linens that you find in a lesser hotel than we thought this one to be. Breakfast was pretty good and in a nice setting. Location is okay....but there are better. Not horrible but probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank adlernews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a rather late review, but stayed here for a few nights in March when I went on a spring break trip with a few of my school mates. Wasn't expecting much but this hotel definitely exceeded expectations. Rooms were clean and big, courtyard was beautiful, surroundings were decorated nicely. It had a very homey feel. We stayed in different rooms on different days, and would definitely recommend the ground floor rooms as they are a lot bigger and you are right by a beautiful courtyard! Service was great, people were really friendly. They also offer really good rates compared to what we were able to get in the US or hotel, only thing is that if there are too many people, the amount that they are able to exchange is limited (we had 10 people) so do that early on in the trip!

Location was good, streets are quiet at night but if you are traveling with a few people there is really nothing to worry about.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room for the courtyard!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank j0yce90
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights either side of my trip around Costa Rica. The hotel is in a good location, close to the main square in a quite side street.

The staff seemed to be particularly cautious about guests leaving the hotel after dark, and reccommend that you take a taxi even if travelling only a few blocks. I did this on their reccomendation, but walked back and did not feel unsafe.

Room Tip: The wifi worked well in the ground floor room that I stayed in at the start of my trip, but was very...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
PORTLAND,OREGON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Let me start by saying I've stayed here many times over the last 15 yrs. the staff is wonderful and they have been there as long as I have. The person before me didn't eat at there restaurant. They don't know what they missed. I ate lunch there almost everyday! On my last day there was a line for lunch. They have daily specials that are great. I only had to wait 10 min. But it was was well worth the wait. I love the fact they have wifi. I could sit just outside my room on a comfy couch and keep in contact with my family.The staff would come by and ask if I needed anything!! The rooms are nice and clean. I enjoyed the short walk to downtown and still felt safe!! I love this town
They recommend new places for me to see, the Waterfall gardens,San Miguel a beach just past Jaco. I was there for two weeks. I would highly recommend this hotel.Oh they have a great gift shop I compared prices when I went downtown to the other gift shops and there prices were better on most items. When I left the airport had started a new security process they go thru EVERY item in your carry ons. It took me alone 15 mins! And I waited in line for 30 to 45 min. Next time I will check all my bags!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here before and after the C2C trip with Coast to Coast Adventures. Small, traditional hotel in a quiet part of town. We didn't eat in, apart from breakfast, choosing to eat at the recommended Cafe Mundo up the road (we recommend it too). Hotel staff were happy to show us the way & didn't seem offended.
Short walk to shops and the artisan's market, as well as the National Museum.
The only gripe was (like in many small traditional hotels)....the lack of a lift, so bit of a pain carrying 4 heavy kit bags.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have stayed at several places in San Jose but always end up going back to Don Carlos. Rooms are spacious , clean and comfortable, staff are very helpful , interior is well decorated with Costa Rican art and the location is good for going to restaurants in the area without going too far in the dark. Don' t recommend walking around San Jose at night in any case.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from a trip to the rain forest, just for one night while we waited for our flight. It was a very unique layout, with little courtyards and fountains to walk through to get to each room. We were greeted with welcome beverages and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room itself was very nice - a good size, clean and a nice bathroom. The hotel is within walking distance to a nice little town center with parks and places to sit, and there was a lovely shopping center nearby as well. We wished we had more time to stay here a few more nights!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple