“One of my favorite hotels in CR!”
Review of Hotel Aranjuez

Hotel Aranjuez
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I'll be 100% honest. For the price and service, I don't think you'll find a better hotel in this area. I stumbled upon Aranjuez when planning my sister's visit to Costa Rica. We needed something safe, clean, comfortable and quiet. We actually used Aranjuez as our base of sorts while traveling. The first night was our favorite. When we arrived, we were upgraded to a room with private bathroom rather than a shared bath. We stayed in room 7 which had a good sized room with 2 full beds, a TV, closet and lovely bathroom. The next time we stayed with a friend in room 24. This room was quite large with a twin bed and full sized bed, view of the garden area, TV and small bathroom. These beds were not as comfortable and the tiny bathroom was a bit frustrating. Our last night we stayed in a room with shared bath. Room 25 was small and airy with a large, comfortable bed. A TV and view were included. It can be a bit noiser on this side in the AM because you're so close to the breakfast room. You'll be up early for the rico desayuno which is not to be missed! The staff was welcoming and friendly on the whole. Rodolpho is great!! We will definitely be back. Thanks, Aranjuez!

• Stayed: July 2013
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear MaryClark: We appreciate your comments and especially that you have considered Hotel Aranjuez as "one of your favorite hotels in Costa Rica". For the team of Hotel Aranjuez, is very valuable to know that we have offered you a pleasant stay and we could meet your expectations of cleanliness, safety and comfort. We're glad you enjoyed our "splendid breakfast buffet". For the Hotel Aranjuez, our breakfast is one of the most important added values with which we thank our customers for their preference. Therefore, we are always introducing innovative recipes and presentations from our menu. Undoubtedly, your recommendation to future customers of “not missing the breakfast" is very important. About the mattress in room N.7 and N.24, the difference between those is that the ones of N.7 are100% orthopedic and the ones of room 24 are normal ones. Once again we thank you for your review and we hope you come back to Hotel Aranjuez in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Prices are very low, and the breakfast is excellent, rooms not so good. My most recent experience was referring two people there through my Medical Tourism Travel Agency, and they complained of bedbug bites. Management tried to deal with it, but my understanding is that other guests were also getting bitten under the covers, not like with mosquito bites. On another occasion when I was there, a child screamed all night in the room next to us and management did not address the issue. Still another occasion, I reserved a superior room with a credit card in advance, but when I arrived I got a small room on the street side.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear customer: I much regret we were not able to fulfill your lodging expectations. In the message I sent you about the mosquito problem, I let you know that I personally took care of the situation right away your customers talk to me about it. In my message I mentioned also that even if we fumigate the entire Hotel every month, a situation out of our control can be presented at the beginning of the rainy season. In any case, I let you know that I called the company in charge of the fumigation immediately. They came over and used a stronger product against mosquitoes. I should mention that this was a problem with mosquitos and not one with bedbugs. Besides that, I made a carefully inspection with my maintenance staff in the rooms. Also, that day we move your customers from a room with share bath into one with private bath without extra charges. On the situation with the room, I recommend that our customers request to the Receptionist to give you the possibility of looking different rooms. Our goal is to give you the room of your preference if that is possible acording to availability. Every time we have other options at the time of your arrival, our staff will offer you the possibility of choosing your room. On the problem with the child, you must understand that is one out of our control. In any case, I regret you have not contact me at that moment. I’m always at the Hotel in the morning and our customers can reach me any time they need it.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

i´ve been to san jose many times than i just cant remember, and tried so many hotels that can recall, until i found Aranjuez...oh my goodness, i just stopped looking around, there is no other for me, anything i am in town this is my place. great rates, amazing breakfast, comfy beds, nice neighborhood, maybe not in the middle of city but not far from a walking or taxy trip

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank quime
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Quime: We are very proud that you have considered Hotel Aranjuez as your “best lodging choice in San José”. We ensure you that we will keep working out for meriting your loyalty and specially, your good qualifications. Next time you visit us, we will share with you many of the improvements in the rooms and gardens and in the “area of sustainability”. In this last subject, during all this year 2013, we had been redoubling our efforts in reducing our impact over critical resources as the water and the energy. Once again thank you for your stimulating commentary and we hope to see you soom.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've stayed in Aranjuez Hotel 6 months or so ago, and I can confirm all that the recent reviewers have written about the main part of the hotel. In my most recent visit, the main hotel was fully booked, and I requested one of the small apartments in the nearby "Apartments Aranjuez". For my visit, in any event, I found out that breakfast in the main hotel was included in the room charge, which, as those who have stayed at Aranjuez Hotel will know, was a huge bonus.
For anyone who may be interested, I can point out that there are quite a few "sodas" (small cafes) close by, but perhaps because they cater, I guess, primarily to those working or visiting the nearby big hospital, they are mostly closed in the evening. Personally, I found the El Gourmet Vegetariano (corner of Avenida 9 and Calle 19) the best: very friendly with super fresh food, and I'm not even a vegetarian. Another wonderful find was a lovely little cafe, Cafe Te Dia, a few blocks west (towards downtown) on Avenida 7, between Calle 11 and Calle 15, very close to "The Yellow House"- the Foreign Ministry Building. There are only half a dozen tables, you have to rattle the door or ring the buzzer, to have them let you in, and you'll find many cheaper places to have coffee or lunch in San Jose, but for a restful break, it's worth a good deal more than you'll be asked to pay: I loved it.
If you like to run, I couldn't find anywhere close to Aranjuez Hotel, (unless you want to go round and round a nearby soccer field) but I found it worked well to run west along Avenida 3, with a jog down Calle 16 and then back on Avenida 3, and come out on Sabana Park, which is where I used to run when I stayed in my first visit at that end of town. Yes, you do most certainly have to watch out for very big potholes and deep ditches at the kerbs, and raffle tickets sellers, and people selling veggies and so on, but the car and truck drivers are pretty courteous and I never was hassled at all.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank James G
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear James: We are very happy of having you as our regular customer. We have found your review very interesting and helpful. In this moment, we are making a little map of "Barrio Aranjuez". It'll be ready by July. In this map, we are including all the sodas, coffee places, restaurants and bars nearby. Just two blocks ahead of the Hotel, you can find Restaurant Costello’s and Bar Buenos Aires, they're both open until late at night. Café Barista, located half a block away, is open until 7 p.m.. For running, you can also go to the campus of the “University of Costa Rica”. We hope you come back soon and share your discoveries and experiences of the neighborhood and the city with us.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

A very good value, in a quiet residential neighborhood in San José. This hotel has clean, comfortable rooms with firm beds and fluffy pillows. The shared bathrooms are clean, and an effort has been made to be environmentally friendly.

The rooms can be small-ish, but the common areas are vast and beautiful-- a gorgeous garden courtyard and amazing local art all over the walls.

The breakfast (included!) is a great value, with a variety of masterfully prepared fruits, vegetables, breads, pastries and other items all on buffet. There is also an egg station to get your eggs made to order, fresh delicious coffee and juice, and the ubiquitous Gallo Pinto.

The building is old and the walls are thin, so expect some noise from others walking around in the mornings.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lobby area will be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear customer: We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Aranjuez and specially, our breakfast. Thank you for appreciating our environmentally friendly efforts. At the Hotel Aranjuez, we are always working in reinforcing our "sustainable policies". During the last month, we have been working in the connections of room’s bathrooms to the Plant Treatment. Also, in the next days, we are installing a special tank in order to capture the rained water. With this two projects and the collaboration of our staff and customers, we will reduce our impact over this critical resource. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to receive a new visit from you very soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Rooms vary somewhat in size and shape, but we enjoyed our stay (room 8) at the beginning and end of our trip to Costa Rica. Neighborhood is a mix of residential and hospitals with a few sodas nearby. Breakfast, as noted by others, is amazing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear guest: Thank you for your review. We hope you come back to Costa Rica and Hotel Aranjuez in the near future. Be sure that we will keep working out for innovating our services, especially our breakfast.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I recently stayed with a group of 18 people at Hotel Aranjuez. I had to make the arrangements at the last minute because our previous plans fell through due to poor business practices of our previous hostel. The staff at Aranjuez was very accommodating and helped me to easily make plans to stay there. They also extended a discount to me for booking such a large group. The hotel was wonderful and flexible to meet our needs. The location is wonderful, as it is easy to walk downtown from there. Overall, I have no complaints! I will be returning to stay there in the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
AranjuezHotelCR, Propietario at Hotel Aranjuez, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Paul: Thank you so much for your review. We are very proud of meeting all your needs in an efficient and warmth way. We will continue working hard.