“always helpful...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
San Diego, California
“always helpful...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2014

I've been to Colours several times now. I always make it my jumping-off point for my trips to Costa Rica. The staff is excellent - very friendly and very responsive...their knowledge of the area is extensive.

Their knowledge of gay nightlife in the capital is also extensive. They can direct you to the right place on the right night. San Jose has a vibrant nightlife if you know where to go.

Whether gay or not, everyone seems to fit right in at Colours. This time I had the best time chatting over breakfast with four really nice British girls who were over on holiday. I went exploring downtown with another guest who was from Chicago. Somehow we ended up in a Karaoke Bar that night, don't ask me how. I've met many people I now consider friends - at Colours.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different and unique. This isn't a cookie-cutter hotel layout. Each room has...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Cory D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

It was great to get into San Jose and be able to go to a gay friendly hotel and sleep by the pool for the afternoon. Everyone at Colours is really friendly--staff and guests both--but I had the most interactions with Jimmy. First of all, he spoke Spanish with me even though I'm sure his English is better than my Spanish. I love to speak Spanish and he taught me new words and helped me recover some of my early fluency. Then, I have food allergies and he made sure I had a great breakfast with typical Costa Rican foods and special fresh juice. The room was small, but clean, but for me, all other things being equal, it's the people who make a trip. Jimmy started off a great trip perfectly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JandLh0use
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I loved staying here. They didn't give me the room I ordered or paid for, but it worked out anyways. The bar shuts down early and there is nothing near by, but if you want gay friendly and need to relax after traveling, this is a great spot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
3 Thank Adam R
Littleton, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a very nice hotel, with an extremely helpful staff. Our room was a bit small but we weren't in Costa Rica to hang out in our room all day. The pool area is lovely and inviting.

The hotel is close enough to downtown that a taxi can get you there quickly for about $10 USD (with tip).

The only real negative was the noise. The shower roof is exposed enough to outside noise and light. The bathroom was adjacent to the neighboring bathroom so you could hear the toilet flush. We had earplugs so it was not a big deal.

I have read some negatives about the parking but we didn't have a problem with it and the staff even made sure our car was in a spot where we could easily leave as we had a very early flight.

Please note, this hotel does cater to the Gay and Lesbian Community. However, my daughter and I stayed there for 2 nights and loved it! It shouldn't make a difference but if you are bothered by that, don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank medako
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

What a wonderful little hotel. I stayed a week and took side day trips. The staff was excellent. I was a little concerned about taxis at first due to experiences in Mexico City but I contacted the front desk before my trip and was helped by Liz. She arranged a hotel taxi and later described what taxi issues I should be concerned with in town (trivial compared to Mexico City). Later she helped me plan side trips to rain forests and such.

Also - David was repeatedly helpful, with drinks, food, taxis, explanations of where to go in the city etc... I wanted to put David and other staff members Yadir and Jose in my luggage and take them home with me they were so sweet but alas customs would not have allowed it and the owner James might have been displeased at the loss of excellent staff. All the staff is wonderful and I highly recommend the hotel. Finally - I have never met so many other travelers at a hotel. Socializing is very easy and comfortable. I highly recommend Colours.

Room Tip: Easy to upgrade when you get there if you want to pay a little more for a larger room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Conrad K
Norco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was my second trip to Costa Rica, and I was going to need a room for 11 nights. I decided on Colours once I saw the photos and read the other reviews. It is a beautiful boutique, with lush landscaping and perfect for those times you just want to relax. The room had everything I would need and the restaurant serves great food. I was fortunate to meet some great people - both guests and Ticos. Recommend any solo travelers to check this hotel out - reasonable, location makes a nice base, and the staff and owner are very accommodating even if your Spanish is "muy paquito'
gypsy

Room Tip: they have rooms upstairs and down stairs. If you have any problems navigating spiral staircases, I...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
3 Thank gypsypuravida63
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

This property is an excellent choice if you plan to stay in the San Jose area. A boutique hotel with full service restaurant and bar it offers a range of rooms to fit any budget from suites to economy. With a pool, Jacuzzis, and casual seating areas spread throughout, it offers travelers an oasis where the atmosphere prompts conversation and relaxation.
Located in an upscale residential neighborhood close to central San Jose, almost every need can be found but a short walk away, from dining, shopping, or a visit to San Jose is a modest cost bus or cab ride away.
The staff all long term members, are like one big family who will do all they can to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. They offer a full range of day trips and activities for tourists and transportation options throughout Costa Rica as well as airport pick-up and drop-off.
During my recent stays there, I met people from the world over, from the well-heeled to backpackers traveling on a tighter budget.
For full disclosure, I have stayed here and reviewed it many times. There is a very good reason for that---the people here. From the owner to the night guard and all in between, each are good, honest, caring people who will do their utmost to make your stay a pleasant one.
While this property is predominately an LGBT hotel, all are welcome. Every time I visit I observe more and more couples and single straight people staying here. All are welcome!
Do yourself a favor and stay here.

Room Tip: Each room is unique, from budget to lux suite with so many choices there is something to fit almost...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends