All reviews excellent location balcony downtown ac luxury sjo
Selected filters
Reviewed March 24, 2016

After reading the reviews for this hotel i was like im going to try it. I was not disappointed at all. The guy at the front desk( I forgot his name because i was having too much fun) was amazing!!! In the middle of all the action. I had room# 704 and it was a nice size room with a balcony. I had a blast!!!!!

Date of stay: March 2016
1  Thank Mister R
Reviewed March 12, 2016

Stayed here last year. Stayed for seven days this time in late February, early March. New carpet has been installed. The rooms are large with night stand, queen size bed, large desk, and table with tv. The in-room safe has to be programmed. Storage is confined to the closet area. Housekeeping is very efficient and HONEST. Toiletries are provided. Martin cooks the breakfast with eggs, toast, and the special day with a scrumptious pancake! Warren and Luis are the day-time first and second shift front desk personnel. Each speaks very good English and are exceptionally helpful. They can book tours for you at very reasonable prices. Luis has managed this property for 19 years. You are right on a pedestrian walk convenient to shopping, the national theatre, and museums. Should I return to San Jose, El Maragato will be my choice for lodging.

Room tip: book a room in the quieter back of the property
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2016

I stayed here for one night before going to the airport. The front desk staff are extremely helpful and have excellent English. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the AC is good and you can access the WiFi from your room. The shower was powerful and hot, a lovely addition and rare find in Costa Rica!
The breakfast I found very overpriced- each option costs the same ($6) and you pay downstairs at reception then bring your ticket upstairs. Once I got upstairs to the canteen I was told they had no pancakes, so I had ended up paying $6 for toast and jam, with coffee and juice.
Other than that, the hotel itself was good. There are plenty of places to eat nearby so maybe just don't pay for breakfast there!

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2016 via mobile

Kind of run down but safe and clean enough. Luis at the front desk was super friendly and helpful with excellent English. If it weren't for him, we would have rated this place lower and complained about the broken elevator.
It is close to the Gold Museum and a reasonable walk to the Jade Museum. Lots of restaurants are nearby.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2015 via mobile

The room is old and outdated I know the price is cheap but it doesn't justify it. They don't warn you about the noise that never stops due to being downtown.

They tell you it has a/c, it doesn't! It has a mini split that doesn't work at all. God knows how the safe works. The room smelled dirty.

They provide you with beers and cokes but the ice bags are located in a broken in half super old freezer. On the third day I called main desk as there was no ice and was told to go buy my own at the store. I had a friend over and they charged me $10 to have a visitor. I had never been charged to have guests anywhere else.

I don't recommend it and I wouldn't stay there again.

Date of stay: August 2015