“Great Staff and Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Staff and Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed at La Amistad hotel for 3 nights, the location can be a little scary for certain people but for us it was okay. The shops and National Museum was walking distance. The food was awesome and free breakfast was a good deal too. Our bartender Cesar was so cool, he knew the city very well and recommended some great places for us to hang out at. The owner Matt was very down to earth. We had the penthouse suite and it was worth the money. The free long distance calls to the US and Wifi was the topping on the cake since both of our cell phones didn't get service (even after we payed for international calls). We didn't have one rude service person during our stay. The only regret was not staying longer, Thanks Amistad
Alicia and Bakeer Crumble

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

I spent three weeks at the Amistad and avoided two big problems that the hotels on Avenida Central have---pollution from vehicle exhaust and harassment from street beggars and vendors. If you have bad sinuses the large bus collection point in front of the Mas X Menos food store off Avenida Central is one place you definitely want to avoid and several of the popular tourist hotels are in the path of this pollution as the wind blows the clouds down Avenida Central. Not too surprisingly you won't see this ugly little reality being discussed in travel reviews. I have stayed at several of the hotels on Avenida Central and the street beggars, as well as confrontational street "vendors" (sometimes it's hard to tell the difference) are literally on you as soon as you step out the front door. No thank you!! A big complaint about the Amistad is the train noise but management is now installing triple pane windows to alleviate this problem. The best show in town is the "Amistad Hotel train duel" where you can watch taxis and suicidal drivers tempt fate by racing over the nearby train tracks as the train approaches. There are no crossing lights, metal bars or safety mechanisms whatsoever and the train vs car race is almost worth the stay by itself. The hotel owner has a courtesy guard on the track during the day but after he goes home the train and cars are free to spar in accordance with the best tenets of Darwinism. It is a show worth seeing. The train blows it's horn as it approaches the crossing but it doesn't slow down and sometimes speeds up when the engineer sees the lunatics trying to race him to the crossing. When the train hits a car and pushes it down the tracks sideways and there is a twenty foot shower of sparks-------somehow the volcano tour just doesn't compare!! Occasional fistfights add a thrill that bogus so called "reality TV" can never hope to duplicate. Real Latins are right in front of you showing the natural machismo the region is famous for. On one occasion the train hit a car, pushed it down the tracks, bowled a large 40 foot tropical tree over and the sparks set a few piles of nearby trash on fire----who needs a three hour bumpy ride volcano tour? On another occasion the train pushed a daring taxi driver's car into 7 or 8 cars parked nearby and a couple of unrehearsed champion lightweight bouts ensued. Two of the guys should go pro. All of this while I was drinking a scotch on the bench in the hotel entrance. This place gets a thumbs up. Jim Harrison--Charlottesville, Virginia

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank stford4
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I'm embarrassed it took me so long to write this review. My husband and I stayed here August 2009. It was the last leg of our honeymoon and we stayed 2 nights. I wanted this to be a nice relaxing way to wrap up our 3 week honeymoon. Hoping to be able to hide away in our room and do nothing.

After checking in I was upset to find out we did not have a penthouse, which is what I booked. This was going to be my surprise to my husband. Not wanting to say anything in front of him, we took the room they gave us. Once we got settled in I snuck downstairs to talk to the manager. The manager was not in, so I spoke to the front desk employee who informed me that it was their error putting us in the wrong room, and since they had no vacancy I needed to talk to the manager in the morning.

That night we ate dinner at the bar. We started talking to a man who sat next to us. Low and behold, he was the staff lead for the hotel. He asked how we were enjoying our stay and I told him about the room mishap. He instantly started appologizing, then excused himself. He came right back a few minutes later to inform us our dinner/drinks we on the house for the rest of our stay and they would move us to the penthouse in the morning. When we checked out, we were told our intire stay was comped. WOW! Way to make up for a bad start. i would definately return.

Likes: Great staff, very accomodating, spacioiuse rooms, close walking distance to everything, full bar, and good restaurant.

You should also know there was no elivator.

My suggestions.... ditch your rental car, you don't need it in the city and you will have to pay to park it in a safe place. Not to mention driving is challenging since there are almost no street signs. Save yourself the headache, return it and take a taxi to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
key west
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed a couple nights in April 2010 before heading to playa jaco to surf. I have been to costa rica 5 times and have stayed in many downtown and beach side hotels. Honestly, La Amistad was near the bottom. Sorry to say, but just being honest. The service was fine, rooms were ok, weak towels, no soap or shampoo,bring your own. Neighborhood is fairly safe for san jose, but there is a commuter rail line right behind the hotel. If you are a late sleeper, forget it. The train whistle starts at 6am. and you will hear it,trust me,the whole area does. Free breakfast was a little on the skimpy side. You get an egg or 2, a couple pieces of toast and some coffee. Ok,i know it's free, but not really what I expected. At night the restaurant downstairs was busy, any someone ordered fried fish, so the entire 2nd and 3rd floor reaked like fried fish. Just overall,unpleasant stay. I left a day early to head to the beach, but he owner made me pay for the nights i reserved, i know it's their policy but plans change. Matt did offer to credit me for the next stay, but i doubt i would use it. For the same price, you can stay at the sleep inn, which has a much better breakfast,is more modern and much cleaner. sportsmans logde at the other end of the street is also around the same price and has a cool sports bar. Heed my warning, the train will get you, so bring some strong earplugs if you want to sleep late!Wanted it to be good, it just wasn't great,compared to other costa rican places i have used before.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank islandhopper1639
Kathmandu, Nepal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

The hotel is of bad taste. Their most expensive room, the penthouse, feels like a prison with the iron bars direct from your window. It has a big bar with a kitchen and unless you are having a party for 10 people, it is totally not worth it. The penthouse bathroom is unpleasant. The furniture is awkward and the sheets and pillowcases are awful and uncomfortable. It is right beside the railroad, so when the train passes, it is, of course, disturbing. The passageway to the office is lined up with green christmas lights. The place is also plagued with stone statues that is totally out of the context.

There is not much service in this hotel, although the food is ok. The staff does not realy attend to your needs even though it is obvious that you might need help carrying your luggage because you are struggling to carry your baby too. They do not provide you with baby cots, although it was nice of them to offer an upgrade, the upgrade did not help much because all they have are sofabeds, which does not work for a crawler. The aircon is noisy. The worst part is that you have to pay for your own parking, which is about ten to twelve dollars the whole day, because the hotel does not have a parking space and only offers to foot half the bill. My husband got angry because there was a miscommunication for the part of the receptionist and the parking attendant and he ended up paying a lot, so in the end the front desk offered to reimburse the parking payment in whole, which is a plus point for them.

Because of the noise and lack of baby facilities, neither my husband nor I were able to sleep a wink. The truth is, nobody in the hotel really cares if your stay was pleasant or not, as long as your credit card works, all is good. We were not able to avail of our free breakfast either, because they told us that breakfast was six and it was already seven am and nothing was ready.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed here for the first and last nights of our honeymoon. Great value in San Jose, easy walking distance to the downtown area. The staff was so helpful, arranging for our rental car throughout the trip. There's a great bar/restaurant at La Amistad, so you really never have to venture far for a good time.

Upon our return for the last night before heading back home, we checked in to find out that the staff had upgraded us to a deluxe suite on the top floor. Hope to get back soon!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

Wow ! From the staff to the hotel. The owner Matt is a true gentleman. The front desk staff, Carlos and Rudy treated you like family. The room was spacious, very clean, the bed was firm and the AC worked great. They have free long distance and local calling ! They have wifi and free breakfast included. The are central located to all the hot spots. The area is safe to walk out at night and close to many parks , museums and the airport and neighboring suburbs. The hotel is great for businessmen and family travelers. The hotel has been recently remodeled and looks great from outside on in. For me being to Costa Rica and in San Jose over 10 times this will be my new home away from home when in CR. Thanks again Darren

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business