“Exceptional Hotel & Service”
Review of Hotel La Amistad

Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #40 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I was recently on a business trip in San Jose Costa Rica. I travel frequently and I am always looking for great value and to save money, especially in these tough economic times. I have found another such place in San Jose Cost Rica. My first business trip to San Jose, CR was in January '09, my most recent trip was in March/April '09. During my business travels In the US & Canada I usually pay $100 to $130 a night, however at Hotel La Amistad rates are from $70 a night. A 30% savings for me is significant.

The hotel is situated within walking distance from downtown but far enough away that it is in a very safe area. It is one block from Hospital Calderon Guardia and one block in the other direction is a middle to upscale restaurant, Cafe Mundo. I have enjoyed several lunches and dinners there.

The hotel staff are exceptional. The hotel managers, Carlos & Rudy our fluent in english and go above and beyond to provide exceptional friendly service. I required some business assistance several times during my visits and in every instance Rudy & Carlos exceeded my expecations. I have never received better service. I also required some special business assistance and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to speak with the owner of the hotel, the information & services he provided was invaluable. Once again, exceptional service.

The house keeping staff are superb, they exceeded my expecations every time. They are friendly and accomodating in every respect. They always try to exceed your expectations. This was my fourth stay at the hotel and the experience was the same with every stay, absolutely wonderful.

There are sevel types of rooms. Queen, King & Suites. The rooms have nice hard wood floors which I prefer over carpet. There are several suites including a few new ones. They are exceptional and have ceramic tile. Amistad has rooms to suite every travelers needs. I have stayed in every type of room at the hotel, all are exceptionally clean. If you require more space I suggest requesting a suite, you will certainly be pleased. All the rooms have large tv's and the suites have large flat lcd tv's. 70 channels including two free movie channels.

The lobby is inviting with a comfortable lounge and large lcd flat tv screen. In the morning you will enjoy their free breakfest. Eggs, omelettes, sausage, western. Assortment of freshly cut fruits, watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple etc. Cereal, orange juice, coffee are also included free of charge.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank treasurehunterjason

Reviewed April 13, 2009

To start, I have been to Costa Rica a few times. Stay in many different hotels (large chain hotels and small B&B types. unless your staying at the large chain hotels most room in San Jose are kinda small) I think, this is a old mansion that has been refurbished and updated to a hotel. I came across this site and found this hotel price and location to be what I was looking for. after reading the reviews i was hoping most was true. so I called the hotel to find out if there was room available. i booked the cheapest room available for two nights and plan on extending my stay if i find the hotel to my liking. arrived about 1 PM and was welcome by a very friendly staff. The rooms are new and done with great taste. The beds are memory foam mattresss extremely comfortable. i met the owner Matt on my way out. after a short chat he show me the other room in the hotel. the price range was from $69 to $139. the suites are very nicely done. after taking to Matt he offer me a free upgrade to one of the suite to see how i like it. well i extended my stay and was very glad i came a cross this site and found this hotel. To me La Amistad has a feel of large B&B, great customer services and price is very reasonable

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank kelamor
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I have stayed here a handful of times & I've had very pleasant experiences. First, the property is clean - from what I have seen it appears the entire hotel has hardwood &/or tile floors & they are kept very clean - I personally do not care for hotel carpet. Second, the price is very reasonable ~ $65 night. Also, for hotel beds they are quite comfortable. Additionally, it is very quiet in the evenings, however, in the morning one can hear people walking about on the hardwood/tile floors but I always awake early so that is a non issue for me. Again, I have enjoyed staying at this property.
Keith Beam

Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My family and I found ourselves in need of a place to stay due to a family emergency. We have been rotating shifts to be near the hospital, and La Amistad is an easy walk. I was pleased to find that the staff is very helpful, courteous, and friendly. They went out of their way to be helpful during a difficult time. Breakfast was always very good, and I even took advantage of the free laundry service, which was great. Beautiful tile work in the bathroom, sparkling clean floors, great overall place. (Internet issues I read about in another review were an issue in all of San Jose and not just this hotel. I experienced spotty phone and internet on two of my 11 days.)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank knewspring
Mkink, owner at Hotel La Amistad, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2009

We are 100 meters west of Hospital Caldron Guardia, one of the leading Hospitals in Costa Rica and about 1 mile to Hospital Clinica Biblica. We offer discounts to family members and patients who are visiting or receiving treatments at the Clinics near the Hotel. The staff knows the area well and assists in all that they can to make the stay as comfortable as possible. When booking the room mention to the staff which Hospital or Clinic to receive the discount.

Reviewed April 5, 2009

I just left San Jose and we booked our room based off the reviews on this website and were very dissappointed. My boyfriend and I have traveled all over the world, third world countried mainly (and we dont stay in large chain hotels) and honestly think there is some in house boosting on this website. I will start with the pros of this place: great made to order breakfast, if you are a single male (which im not) there are a lot of prostitutes/brothels in this area, they have safes in the rooms, the hotel is in the middle of san jose, there is a hospital close by in case something happens, the owner is american and can explain stuff in non broken english (which I think gives people a sense of comfort, to me I could care less) Cons: the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, the rooms are tiny (and we got a deluxe standard), for what you can get in san jose the rooms are over priced, the internet wasnt working for the two days we stayed there, the comforter was gross, rude staff besides the owner who are not helpful at all.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mariswil

To start we would like to say that we are sorry that we did meet this customers expectations. Obviously she had talken to me during her stay and if she would have brought her concerns to my attention I would have tried to address them as we pride ourselves on service. As for the in house boosting, I can assure you that is NOT the case and in fact you can email the reviewer through tripadvisor. We tried to contact this reviewer but did not get a response. While the reviewer did have nice things to say and for that we are grateful, I would like to address the ¨"cons". The walls are made of concrete and therefore some of the rooms are smaller and can not be changed. One problem we have with people booking on tripadvisor is they book the cheapest and smallest room. We always try to provide free upgrades when the space is available. Weekends are always a risk as many times we are full. We recommend that you call the Hotel direct (the phone number is listed on the website) and discuss your room options available with the staff when booking. As to our room price after reviewing tripadvisor for competive pricing and knowing the Hotels close to us (as in any major City, the neighborhood changes rapidly within 5-10 blocks and therefore makes comparisons difficult unless you know the area) we are extremely priced below the market. Internet and cable tv is provide by one provider, Amnet, and we are at their mercy as to the quality of service. They do go out from time to time but not for long periods of time. The internet was out for a couple of hours each day as they are taking the overhead lines and putting them underground. Comforter´s are washed and bleached after each guest stay, again had she brought this to our attention we would have addressed it. We checked every room and found all to be in order.

Now the one that bothers me most - rude staff. The staff in the Hotel has been here for an average of 5+ years. We have 4 maids with average stay 7 years, 4 desk help with average stay 6 years and an administrator that has been here 18 years (since inception). Personally knowing all of them, as I am active in the day to day operations, I can not believe any of them would be rude intentionaly. All the staff speaks english and many lived in America as children and speak perfect english. Judging by the testimonials in other reviews most of the clients know the staff on a first name basis for a reason. We have many business travelers that come every month and stay with us because we have a staff that will go the extra mile. That being said, It is possible someone had a bad day - as they are human - It is possible that the client was rude to the staff - as it does happen. There is always two sides to the story. Again, had the reviewer brought this to my attention I would have addressed it. In reading the review it appears that she had many opportunities to discuss it with me and chose not to. As for being close to brothels, San Jose has some very famous brothels that are within 5 blocks from the Hotel on Avenida Central. As prostitution is a legal business in Costa Rica (or at best is not deemed illegal) it is part of the culture and the locations have been in business for years. If you are unsure of a bar, restaurant, area of the City... it is always best to ask the staff as to an areas safety and business climate. As i said earlier, As in any big City, 5-10 blocks makes a big difference

Reviewed April 1, 2009

We had a great time. The rooms were very nice and the whole hotel was very clean. Beautiful accomodations and friendly/helpful staff. The breakfast is great too!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I have traveled to Costa Rica for the last 12 yrs. and this is the best place that I have found. The rooms are spacious, everything is new with great taste. The beds are extremely comfortable and the staff is excellent. Also you get a real cozy feeling because the owner is there virtually everyday to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business