“La Amistad is a great place to stay in San Jose” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Amistad

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Hotel La Amistad
You added Hotel La Amistad to your Saves list
Ranked #33 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
Denver, CO
“La Amistad is a great place to stay in San Jose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at La Amistad back in December 2011 and March 2012, and am getting ready to stay again February 2013.

The Owner and Staff are excellent - Matt, Rudy, Carlos, Jorge, and staff are all extremely helpful and willing to assist whenever needed. Don and Mike are also awesome as part owners of the newly renovated restaurant!

I arrived at 6am (red-eye flight) before my room was ready and they allowed me to stay in another room until check later that morning/afternoon.

There is a train that operates during the week that could affect light sleepers, but ear plugs do the trick. The water pressure is awesome. La Amistad has the most comfortable beds too! Free calls to the US, and laundry add to the amenities.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Latin1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Great place. Excellent service. Not a bad location, short walk to town. Safe area right near the hospital. I have stayed here several times. The owner is grate and very helpful. Staff is great also. Rooms are very clean. Also has a good breakfast and a nice bar area. Very modern place. I will stay here again when I have to come to San Jose.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Haze70
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the hotel in mid-october. I tried out several rooms but the penthouse suites were the nicest. Extremely roomy with nice modern amenities, including a jacuzzi. Of them all, I think room 202 had the best layout and was the most comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the girls working the bar were fun to chat with. Alex Palma, the taxi driver/tour operator who works out of the hotel is a great source to use if you have questions about San Jose or tours. Overall, I would have given this hotel an excellent rating except for one big drawback...the train noise! There is a commuter train line that runs right next to the hotel and every morning (and evenings) the trains come through. Depending on the location of the room, the train noise can be absolutely annoying. Definitely recommend having earplugs available if you stay here.

Room Tip: Penthouse suites are like apartments. Also, bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Michael M
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at various points throughout our 2 week Costa Rican honeymoon in February 2010. The major shuttle services (Grayline and Interbus) pick up from this hotel, and cabs come here often as well, so we stayed for a day or two when we first arrived in Costa Rica, got picked up and went to La Fortuna/Monteverde, and on the way to Puerto Viejo we stopped here again for a night to break up transit time.

First of all, the service is very friendly. Front desk is helpful with recommendations and such. The free breakfast is great and definitely hits the spot after a long flight (or before a long drive across the country). But best of all, we didn't really have to stray too far from our hotel at night (which was good, because we were trying to save money on cabs and weren't entirely comfortable walking around at night) because the room service menu is excellent. We had ordered a salad, the four cheese risotto, and numerous other things, and everything was delicious! We still talk about the food at this hotel, to this day. Best hotel food we've had, probably because it doesn't taste like hotel food, but rather a legit restaurant.

We were given fairly large rooms (maybe most/all of them are relatively large) and found them to be clean.

The only heads up - since prostitution is legal in CR, we found that when we came to the hotel in the middle of the week, there was a lobby full of male tourists with some not-so-fashionably dressed women, if you catch my drift. If this kind of thing bothers you then consider yourself warned. If it doesn't (it didn't bother us - we didn't hear anything and they leave you alone) then this is a great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Claire F
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently and couldn't be more happier. Nice, neat and clean hotel with decent sized rooms/ Free breakfast. Has few english channels. One of the most friendly management team I have ever come across anywhere, very helpful folks. Feels like staying at home. Train noise is minimal towards back of the hotel although light sleeps may have a bit of problem in rooms facing the tracks. The overall great experience at this hotel more than makes up for train noise issue which runs like 3/4 times an hour between 6 AM and 10 PM on weekdays only. Will love to stay back here

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank 189SuperNova
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was traveling with 2 other friends in San Jose, CR and after many mediocre hotels we stumbled upon La Amistad. It was nothing short of a great experience. The hotel has a boutique feel and is very clean. The rooms have a.c. which is somewhat difficult to find in San Jose. The staff was welcoming and after 2 days of staying there we felt that we were friends with the staff. The location is perfect, a quiet and quaint neighborhood just a few minutes walk from the action. I highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chris E
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

When ever I come to San Jose this is the place to stay. I love the room, location, the bar, the breakfast, the lounge. Matt the owner at breakfast makes the place. He moves from table to table talking with his guests. He is the star attraction here. I know what I am talking about because I own apartments throughout Medellin. But sometimes I need to get away from it all and I come here. Even if he is sold out I make it for breakfast just so I can have small talk with Mat.

all the best

Barry Brachfeld

Room Tip: anything far from the train.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo