“Great place.”

and 1 more site!
Hotel La Amistad
Ranked #39 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Great place. Excellent service. Not a bad location, short walk to town. Safe area right near the hospital. I have stayed here several times. The owner is grate and very helpful. Staff is great also. Rooms are very clean. Also has a good breakfast and a nice bar area. Very modern place. I will stay here again when I have to come to San Jose.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Haze70

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the hotel in mid-october. I tried out several rooms but the penthouse suites were the nicest. Extremely roomy with nice modern amenities, including a jacuzzi. Of them all, I think room 202 had the best layout and was the most comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the girls working the bar were fun to chat with. Alex Palma, the taxi driver/tour operator who works out of the hotel is a great source to use if you have questions about San Jose or tours. Overall, I would have given this hotel an excellent rating except for one big drawback...the train noise! There is a commuter train line that runs right next to the hotel and every morning (and evenings) the trains come through. Depending on the location of the room, the train noise can be absolutely annoying. Definitely recommend having earplugs available if you stay here.

Room Tip: Penthouse suites are like apartments. Also, bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at various points throughout our 2 week Costa Rican honeymoon in February 2010. The major shuttle services (Grayline and Interbus) pick up from this hotel, and cabs come here often as well, so we stayed for a day or two when we first arrived in Costa Rica, got picked up and went to La Fortuna/Monteverde, and on the way to Puerto Viejo we stopped here again for a night to break up transit time.

First of all, the service is very friendly. Front desk is helpful with recommendations and such. The free breakfast is great and definitely hits the spot after a long flight (or before a long drive across the country). But best of all, we didn't really have to stray too far from our hotel at night (which was good, because we were trying to save money on cabs and weren't entirely comfortable walking around at night) because the room service menu is excellent. We had ordered a salad, the four cheese risotto, and numerous other things, and everything was delicious! We still talk about the food at this hotel, to this day. Best hotel food we've had, probably because it doesn't taste like hotel food, but rather a legit restaurant.

We were given fairly large rooms (maybe most/all of them are relatively large) and found them to be clean.

The only heads up - since prostitution is legal in CR, we found that when we came to the hotel in the middle of the week, there was a lobby full of male tourists with some not-so-fashionably dressed women, if you catch my drift. If this kind of thing bothers you then consider yourself warned. If it doesn't (it didn't bother us - we didn't hear anything and they leave you alone) then this is a great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Claire F
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently and couldn't be more happier. Nice, neat and clean hotel with decent sized rooms/ Free breakfast. Has few english channels. One of the most friendly management team I have ever come across anywhere, very helpful folks. Feels like staying at home. Train noise is minimal towards back of the hotel although light sleeps may have a bit of problem in rooms facing the tracks. The overall great experience at this hotel more than makes up for train noise issue which runs like 3/4 times an hour between 6 AM and 10 PM on weekdays only. Will love to stay back here

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 189SuperNova
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was traveling with 2 other friends in San Jose, CR and after many mediocre hotels we stumbled upon La Amistad. It was nothing short of a great experience. The hotel has a boutique feel and is very clean. The rooms have a.c. which is somewhat difficult to find in San Jose. The staff was welcoming and after 2 days of staying there we felt that we were friends with the staff. The location is perfect, a quiet and quaint neighborhood just a few minutes walk from the action. I highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chris E
Reviewed August 16, 2012

When ever I come to San Jose this is the place to stay. I love the room, location, the bar, the breakfast, the lounge. Matt the owner at breakfast makes the place. He moves from table to table talking with his guests. He is the star attraction here. I know what I am talking about because I own apartments throughout Medellin. But sometimes I need to get away from it all and I come here. Even if he is sold out I make it for breakfast just so I can have small talk with Mat.

all the best

Barry Brachfeld

Room Tip: anything far from the train.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Listent0me
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hotel LaAmistad has everything to make everything perfect like good comfortable beds, an excellent bar, restaurant with outstanding food, situated in an idea location, and even most of all the owner and staff will just about break their necks to help you in any way. Of course there is the commuter train the goes by the hotel during the weekday mornings but you won't notice it much at all. However, what is keeping me from giving LaAmistad 5 stars is that late in the night you can hear loud noice coming from the lobby that can wake you up. Other then that my overall experience at this hotel truly exceeded all expectations and I do recommend anyone else to stay.

KC

Stayed for 4 nights (8/9/12- 8/13/12)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo