Hotel La Amistad
$129
$89
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$87
Official Hotel
$62
$60
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose(San Jose)
$190
$184
All reviewsall inclusive packagefree laundry servicequeen roomper dayno elevatorfree callsnight lifehotel in san josefew blocksrudysjo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hotel LaAmistad has everything to make everything perfect like good comfortable beds, an excellent bar, restaurant with outstanding food, situated in an idea location, and even most of all the owner and staff will just about break their necks to help you in any way. Of course there is the commuter train the goes by the hotel during the weekday mornings but you won't notice it much at all. However, what is keeping me from giving LaAmistad 5 stars is that late in the night you can hear loud noice coming from the lobby that can wake you up. Other then that my overall experience at this hotel truly exceeded all expectations and I do recommend anyone else to stay.

KC

Stayed for 4 nights (8/9/12- 8/13/12)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TheLastOfFinest80
Reviewed July 30, 2012

La Amistad provides a great boutique Hotel experience in a nice residential neighboorhood just mijnutes from Downtown San Jose. The Staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and well maintained along with the common areas.

Room Tip: Room 311 is a large suite that looks like a large apartment with full kitchen
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve A
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I do a lot of traveling. I have stayed in many hotels. This is not a pool and doorman type of place. Yet, it gives you all the things you would need or want. Thats why I gave it a five. The front desk people are top notch. Literally whatever you need they make every effort to help, with a smile and pleasant demenor. The rooms are clean and fairly large. The food is some of the best you can get for the price. I acutually would rate the food way above average. The chef, is very nice an engaging. The bar has all you would want. They mix drinks and the beers are as cold as anything i have ever had. The train? Well, I go to bed late and get up late. So, I only barelly remember hearing it. I have stayed here 5 times. Last time was for 2 weeks. So, dont let the train keep you away. I did see the crazy dog that chases cars! lol...They allow company. Without weird looks or questions. I will be qoing back in August and cant wait!!! Maybe will see ya at the bar before heading out into the night....

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside portion of hotel, away from the side railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank IceManUSA
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Having visited Central America often I found the Amistad to now be on top of my list of places to stay. I stayed there for the first time from June 19-27th. The reasons are numerous but the most important thing to me is the staff. They all were very ingratiating while at the\ same time very sincere. The first person I spoke to-calling there toll free number from the US- was Carlos at the front desk. He was patient explaining answers to all of my questions and followed up immediately with a detailed e-mail explaining all details, including price, dates, room details, ect. I had originally booked a queen room but decided a few days later to opt for a King rook which cost slightly more. I again called this time speaking to Rodolfo who also was very informative and clearly explained in detail the differences. He as well immediately sent me an e-mail which clearly stated the change and specifications. Upon arriving I met both of them and there were terrific. The night front desk person, Ricardo was also extremely helpful with everything from waking me at 4:30am to catch my flight to spending a good bit of time helping me to print out a boarding pass. This was not a kissing butt type of good service it was sincere "we are happy to help you in any way we can because you are our guest type of service." The bar which was reasonable, fully stocked and offered a slew of specialty martinis as well as the "Coldest Beers" I've ever had - The bottles were frosty with a crust of ice outside and so cold but not at all frozen. The bartenders were absolute gems as well. Most nights Jenifer was there- she was sweet friendly and a pleasure to be around. A new bartender started while I was there - her name is Karol, great personality, and I am sure she will be a great addition to the staff. This is starting to get a bit long winded so I will be succinct in finishing this off. Met owner Matt and he really makes you feel like you are visiting Friends. All rooms have 30" flat screen TV's with English, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese, and German stations-Like 100 or so channels. Memory Foam mattresses in all rooms which were great- I am looking to buy one now that I got spoiled at La Amistad. Free Breakfast which was excellent each day. Daily Maid Service was terrific. Free laundry service for which I tipped the maids because I felt that they more than deserved it. Free calls to the USA-which was great as my niece had cancer surgery during my stay so getting updates was easy and free!! She is doing pretty well, just sayin'....Oh and regarding the train that some folks complained about, I did not find it loud or annoying. It only runs a couple hours in the am and a couple hours in the pm. .I thought it was kinda cool and an interesting part of the charm of the area. It never woke me but If you are a really light sleeper you may be woken but it did not disturb me at all. I loved it and will be back. Soon I hope!!

Room Tip: King Rooms well worth The extra few bucks per night. More spacious and more of that great Memory Foam Bed.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I met the Amercian owner and he is a very friendly and helpfull guy.
So I am sympathetic, but you want my honest opinion.....

This hotel was my last stop before flying back home.
It's rather close to the Coca Cola busstation - the taxi fare was 1.800 colones,
so about 4 dollar.

My room was quite small, dark and painted dark red, which is a bit weird.
Only one small window, which has a view on the.... inside staircase.
The room contains a large bed with a great matrass and a TV.
It has a small bathroom with - it must be said - an excellent shower.

The bar and restaurant area look very nice and modern.
And the food is very good. Breakfast is pretty good also, with all the coffee and toast you need.

It seems a base camp for single americans who have mainly beer and girls on their itinerary.
And the owner and his friends that run the hotel are living their dream. So good for them.
If you are looking for a good time, l'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

In San Jose is nothing cultural to see. So if you don't need to be there, try to avoid it and go straight to or from the airport to your destination.

If you need a place to stay after a long flight or before you leave, you can stay here for a night.
Nothing wrong with it basicly. And if you want to be entertained in the evening, go to the bar around the corner. Have a beer and just look around and have a bite to eat.

And oh!..... there is train track across the street where a train honks it's horn every 10 minutes.
Minor detail :)