“Basic but fantastic!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Casa Ridgway Hostel
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Basic but fantastic!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Casa Ridgway is wonderful! Lots of sleeping options to select from and inexpensive. PLUS! They do valuable service for their community including taking in refugees! I gladly would give them my business again! One of the managers Saidor was fantastic and cared for me like family. Willing to share information about local places. I did not even mention yet that they serve a free breakfast with fuit, coffee, bread and eggs!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marilee239

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Madison, South Dakota
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have stayed at Casa Ridgway many times over the past 7 years. I always find the hostel to be warm and welcoming. this is a great place to recuperate from flights and or long bus rides.

They always provide a good breakfast which includes fruit. a great way to start your day.

Be prepared for an older building. Good beds. And typical Tico hot water showers. New visitors to hostels or Central America may find some customs different. Great and helpful people with.years of experience.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank simplylesa
Esteli, Nicaragua
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have stayed at Casa Ridgeway over the years, every time I had to stay the night in San Jose. Although I still think it is a nice place, my most recent stay will be my last, however, as the new owner has made "policy" changes that made me feel less like a Friend and more like a client.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank s m
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Reviewed June 27, 2012

It is clean, quiet and safe, which seemed to position it quite high against other San Jose competition. Shared bathrooms are very clean and nice.

Other than that it was a bit more expensive that average hostels in Costa Rica & we did not get the free breakfast despite arranging that it will be available earlier than normally.

The area seems quite abandoned at night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Last November I needed two overnights in San Jose and searched long and hard to find a place that would provide what I needed: a clean, quiet place to sleep. Casa Ridgway did just that. The people were very friendly and helpful, made me feel right at home. One of the reasons I chose Casa Ridgway aside from the above is because I saw a cat's photo on their website and, being a cat lover myself, I figured if they had a cat roaming around, they are good people. My assumption served to be correct and George (the cat) and I had a good time together.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Global
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stay at Casa Ridgeway when we are in SJ because it supports the Peace Center which does important work in promoting a more peaceful world. If you are interested you can get involved in their activities while you stay there - we do. People who are in Costa Rica for more than just a holiday often stay at C.Ridgway and you can share stories of voluntary work in conservation and social projects over breakfast, and really find out more about how Costa Rica ticks. It also has connections with the original Monteverde community, founded on the pursuit of peace, and members often stay there when they are in town. If you are after more than a place to crash and hang out with backpackers then I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank terra-ist
Alex
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Things seem to take a while here, maybe because everyone's so at peace... Took a little while to figure out if we could have a room (they'd not received our email apparently) and then to figure out which one was available.

Once that was sorted, the room itself was OK, but the bathroom was dirty (urine & poo stains on the toilet seat). We mentioned this to the staff that evening, but nothing was done about it before we moved rooms the next day (the first room was reserved for the second night we stayed, so we switched). Could hear dance music Saturday evening and Sunday morning (maybe someone with a big sound system or a bar nearby), but not late or early enough to disturb our sleep.

Breakfast (included, served 7.45-8.30) was good - coffee, tea, fruit, scrambled egg & bread. Shared kitchen was well-equipped and clean. Laundry was $6 for a large load.

Lots of books around the place, including lots of travel guides for reference which was helpful for us after we lost our Lonely Planet!

Room Tip: Check it's clean before accepting it