“National Theater”

$110.00*
Private San Jose City Tour with Lunch
Ranked #1 of 121 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1897, this elegant theater has been a source of pride.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The guide Jeffrey brought the theater history to life during our English tour. About one hour, 7100 colones, well worth it.

There are newer reviews for Teatro Nacional Costa Rica

Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you are staying in San Jose, walk to the National Theater. You can buy $ 2 ticket to see the inside 6 days a week from 8 am - 6 pm. A tour guide will make the visit even more enjoyable as you'll hear the history of the chandelier, the seating, the kings seat ... if you luck out and can partake in the audio tour / be sure to tip well! If you want to see the theater in the evening / see a show ... just stop on by early in the day and ask ticket clerk what show is available.

I've been able to walk up / view this theater both day and evening without reservations.

It really is a must see.

1  Thank Terri S
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I enjoyed this attraction, the building was very beautiful. We went on a tour and our guide was very knowledgeable and had some interesting facts about the theater and the history. The entire building has beautiful artwork and details. I would recommend going, it was a great experience.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The first time I went looking for the National Theatre I was making my way down the pedestrian way, and I completely missed it! Now everytime I pass by I always look over and wonder how I didn't notice the huge building with the red roof. The outside is fairly non-descript from a distance, but once you get close you can see how beautiful it is. Once you enter the lobby you are just in awe. Please buy a ticket, go inside, and join a free guided tour (available in English) to really appreciate all the details. Tickets are about 7,000 colones or 14 dollars. Take a few hours and make a stop here, you won't regret it!

1  Thank pjaniram
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Have toured theatres and opera houses all over the world and this one is smaller than most but still very entertaining and educational and of course a delight to see.
We took and English tour with Jeffrey who was very helpful and full of history and interesting info.
Questions were no problem.Seating in the 100 year old seats which are still comfy was a treat.
Do ask about the concerts. I think Sundays they hold free concerts
Thursday evenings also cheap recitals
Don't forget to have a coffee in the 'tea room' also very yummy cakes and chocolate.
the wonderful painted ceilings!!!

1  Thank westwoodGlebeSydney