“Lovely peaceful hotel, in beautifully rennovated Victorian mansion.”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
UK
“Lovely peaceful hotel, in beautifully rennovated Victorian mansion.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is great, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are lovely. The hotel has been rennovated from a Victorian mansion and is very nicely done. The hotel is a little out of the city centre, about 20 minutes walk, but this does mean that it is a very peaceful escape from the hussle and bussle of the city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DexUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We regret that we only stayed one night here and didn't even get to enjoy the rooftop jacuzzis. The room was lovely, and so comfortable. The staff was very accommodating. For our honeymoon they left us a plate of the most delicious fruit we have ever eaten and upgraded our room to the garden suite. The restaurant on site was phenomenal. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheyb29
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We again spent the first and last nights of our holiday at this wonderful hotel. We really would not agree to stay anywhere else in San Jose. We arrived at about 10pm on our first night to find that we had been upgraded to beautiful room 6 which has its own patio area with a water feature. On our last night our meal in the lovely restaurant was superb! This is really a first-class hotel that would not be out of place if you were to pick it up and transport it to Paris! The rooms are beautifully appointed - the beds are sooooooooo comfortable, the staff are welcoming, friendly and super-efficient, and the food (whether in the restaurant or room service) is first rate - try the blackcurrant juice for breakfast! We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 6 is so beautiful, and sitting on the patio at night looking up through the skylight, with the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CazCR1
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Since our last stay 6 years ago, they have completed the new restaurant space. A fabulous job, and the food was outstanding. As always, staff very attentive and helpful. Each hotel room different. We stayed in 17 this trip. It looks out into jungle garden, and at night, total silence. Loved it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Herman M
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Grano de Oro for 8 nights. The hotel is beautiful. I arrived in the evening and the foyer was illuminated with soft lights. It really creates a wonderful ambiance. When I arrived I was served fresh mango juice. The check in was smooth and fast.

My room was located near the garden towards the back of the hotel. I was led to my room by the doorman and my first impression of the hotel and garden was that this is a luxurious hotel. My room had a king size bed, an armoire with plenty of space for my clothes, and a table with two chairs. The bathroom was fantastic. It had marble counter tops and a nice deep tub. I had no trouble falling asleep here each night. It was extremely comfortable.

Many of the staff at the hotel speak English. I was able to communicate no problem. The front desk arranged for a morning taxi each day of my stay. They also arranged two excursions for me while I was there.

I made an appointment for a spa treatment and was not disappointed. The masseuse knows what she is doing! She wants you to feel comfortable and relaxed. The spa is a single room on the 2nd floor. Traffic from the street was distracting a bit though.

This hotel would have received 5 stars but I experienced an incident that left me uncomfortable. The doorman that helped me get a taxi one morning asked me out on a date! I was completely taken off guard and immediately felt sick to my stomach. The gentleman knew I was traveling alone and what room I was in. I wanted to report this to the owner but did not come in contact with him/her. San Jose is not a city that you should let your guard down in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Indy4181
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here recently for two separate nights on a trip to Costa Rica. It is a spectacular oasis in San Jose. It is a grand old residence that has been converted into a lovely and inviting hotel. The decor is charming, the rooms are spacious and have every modern convenience while maintaining Costa Rican charm. The beds were some of the most comfortable I have ever slept on! There is a beautiful courtyard in which you can eat, or a lovely dining room. The service and the food was nothing short of spectacular. The entire staff were very helpful and warm which certainly made the stay that much nicer. If you are staying in San Jose, even for one night, don't miss the opportunity to stay in this incredibly charming oasis in the city.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are marvelous and well appointed. I was in Room 27 which was spacious and had two...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorshipDad
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with lots of character and only a 15min walk from down town San Jose. Our room was clean and well maintained. All staff were very helpful and breakfast was delicious. We had dinner in the hotel, with great service, although we found the menu a little "experimental" with some strange food combinations....I guess you have to try it for yourself.
Room serive was great and the hotel facilities (wifi / laptop use / roof jacuzzis) were first rate. I would definitely reccommend Grano de Oro.
The only thing negating a 5* rating was the dinner, which was not to mine and my wifes preference but that should not stop you from staying at this hotel, which was by far the "best looking" hotel we saw in San Jose.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room which had a balcony to a small patio.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple