“My Top Choice in San Jose”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My Top Choice in San Jose”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

For me, the magic of Costa Rica happens when you leave the capital and explore this amazing country. There are times when I have little other choice and need to stay in San Jose, when I do, Grano de Oro is my favorite. I have stayed in a couple of Marriott Hotels in San Jose and found them a bit too commercial and boring. Grano de Oro has great character do to it's history of being a Victorian mansion in the early 1900s. The amazing gardens and fountains quickly make you forget you're in a city. But one of the most important factors to consider is the quality of the rooms.

I stayed in a deluxe room that contained two queen size beds. They had very good quality pillow topped mattresses and very comfortable sheets. The pitched roof and trimming in the room was a nice change from the typically boxy commercial rooms found in chain hotels. Overall the size was fine for the three of us staying there. For about $200/night it wasn't too bad of a deal for th quality.

I also ate at the restaurant a couple of times and found it to be quite good. Nothing blew my mind away but my meals there were some of my favorite I had in Costa RIca. The wait staff were also very quick with their service. It's not bargain prices, $100+ for two people, but the average person will leave full and satisfied.

Hotel Grano de Oro is certainly my top choice when staying in San Jose. One criticism I have for the hotel is the poor WIFI. It's nice to have free internet, but only if it works. Three of us were constantly struggling to get a good signal. A few times we had to go to the lobby for service. Additionally, the staff could be a bit more friendly, energetic and engaged with the staff. You have the comfort to make you feel like you're in a home, you should have staff that make you feel like you're family. But overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Book ahead as early as possible if you want a particular room because they can go fast. I contacted...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Newyorker2LA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
Bondi, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here initially as a one-night 'unavoidable' due to a late arrival from a long flight. The service and experience was so good I booked two further stays. One was an emergency stay after a flight cancellation where I just turned up; the reception staff immediately recognized me even though I had no booking and had only stayed with them for a few hours more than a week earlier. They pourede a drink, found me a room, upgraded it for free due to my flight disappointment and generally behaved like long-lost friends. Impressive. I have booked three more nights here at the end of my Costa Rica trip. Even though San Jose isn't much to write home about, this hotel makes it worthwhile.
Others have written well about the incredible restaurant, perfect service, great rooms and beautiful decor. Put simply, this hotel 'gets' service and style like few others I have stayed in. A true gem.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Paul C
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you're flying in or out of San Jose for your Costa Rica experience, this hotel ca be a great start or finale to your visit. Converted from a turn-of-the-centry mansion, this high-service, high-value property has 40 rooms, great guest amenities, a staff that never stops trying to please you, and a restaurant that will please everyone (even kids). Try the pancakes for breakfast--they're like having cake for breakfast ;-) Grano de Oro is one of several luxury and eco-friendly hotels in the country. They have their own water purification system, so there's no need to ask for bottled water. Their welcome experience is, well, I don't want to spoil the surprise, one of the best I've ever experienced--even at hotels costing 2-3 times as much. That's saying something as my professional work is all about the customer experience!

Room Tip: Every room is unique and has its own advantages. Most rooms face a glass-covered tropical courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mike W
Edwards, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel is great...truly a gem in this city. We left for an afternoon to walk to the pedestrian market and quickly returned. San Jose is not favorite city of ours but if you are here the Grano de Oro is the place to stay. Wonderful staff and the restaurant is world class. Our favorite waiter was Carlos Castro...Not to be confused with Fidel Castro. No relation we were assured. lol! Carlos was amazing, knowledgeable and personable. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all fantastic!
Comfortable rooms and beds...Free wi-fi but it does not always work that well in the rooms. They do provide laptops in the lobby. Or you can sit in the lounge area of the restaurant as we did with ours. The staff is always friendly and ready to take care of anything you need. Highly recommended during your visit to this city.

Room Tip: #17 is beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer E
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed only one night at this hotel while on route to another city. It truly deserves the high ratings. From the minute you step up to the entrance the staff is amazingly helpful. The rooms were beautiful and very well maintained, and the common areas are bright and clean. Also an easy place to get a good night sleep. Not much to see in the immediate area, but close to city center and airport. If you are in San Jose this is the place stay!

While the food and the hotel restaurant was one of the best meals we had in Costa Rica the waiters did not extend the same friendliness as the hotel staff (verging on rude), and put a damper on the meal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Wow - what an amazing hotel, loved everything from the beautiful heritage setting to the friendly service...and room upgrade! I highly recommend eating at the restaurant, the food was amazing and the courtyard setting is stunning. Our waiter Carlos was very attentive, charming and knowledgeable. We had the scollop and pate for entrée (delicious) and duck and fish for main (also very delicious).. The duck was the best I've had in my life, tender, juicy and flavoursome. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Robert H
London, UK
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked the Grano de Oro through Imagine Latin America as a start and finish point for a two week honeymoon. The building is very attractive from the outside and stands out from its surroundings in San Jose. It's walking distance from the city centre, but I got the impression there wasn't much to see in the immediate vicinity. We were greeted on arrival and kindly given an upgraded room (to deluxe patio) on both occasions we stayed as we'd only booked a standard room because we weren't staying long.

The hotel has real character as it is a warren of corridors but it's all very well decorated and maintained. The room was nicely presented and very clean on both occasions, however a little on the small side. There is a private walled patio which was nice to sit out on and had a small fountain, but this does mean you don't have a view out at all; not that I think there's a huge amount to see around the hotel! There was no bath in the bathroom but the shower was fine.

Although we didn't get time to use them, we went up for a look at the small jacuzzi area on the roof which seemed really nice although could have done with a bit of shade for the sun loungers. The hotel shop was, as you'd expect, fairly expensive ($1.50 for a postcard of the hotel - aren't they usually free?!).

One of the highlights of the hotel is its restaurant which served great breakfasts and absolutely fantastic dinners. The courtyard is really well designed and great to sit out in. The restaurant is definitely a place to dress up in the evenings although being the only place to eat in the hotel, they're quite relaxed about it. We ate dinner twice and weren't disappointed; the food was beautifully prepared and presented and tasted excellent. Wine and cocktails were also very good. The menu certainly isn't cheap, but then the restaurant would quite happily stand up against anything you'd find in major European or US cities so for a splash-out meal, it's worth it.

It would be good if the hotel had another bar area (maybe it did and we missed it?) which was a bit less formal but you can sit in some non-dining sections of the restaurant or at the bar itself.

I'd recommend the hotel as an excellent quality base to stay for a night as a San Jose base, although as even the most dedicated guidebooks tend to admit, there's not a vast amount to keep you entertained in the city as a tourist.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to be completely individual so without having looked around in detail, it's...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple