“Beautiful start and finish to our honeymoon”

Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This place is lovely. The roof terrace was empty every time we went up. The rooms are well equipped but the real gem is the food. Though a little pricey it's very very good. The passion fruit margaritas should also be tried. We started and finished a 4 week trip her as a bit of bling. And it was everything we wanted.

Room Tip: Passion fruit Margarita!!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had an early morning flight so wanted to be close to the airport. The pictures do not do justice- what a gorgeous hotel and a beautiful dining room. We asked for a wake up call and it was received at the correct time. Dinner was delicious and the dining room is very romantic. Our room was in a court yard garden with windows open. bathroom was wonderful. Highly recommend and I never thought I would say it but I am looking forward to our next vist to San Jose and the Hotel Grano de Oro! I would be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank flycatcher06
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I selected this hotel to have dinner for Christmas Eve as it was my last night in Costa Rica and we needed to be closer to the airport. This hotel is nice enough, I would even say beautiful but it is not in a nice area of town. That being said, I do not think there is a nice part of San Jose, CR. However, I think that the person who trains this staff needs to teach a lesson in humility, as these are some of the most snobby staff I've ever had to deal with and I have traveled quite a bit. Yes, it's a nice restaurant, but not the nicest. Yes, the food is good, but it is not great and yes, it's a pretty hotel, but it's in the middle of San Jose, which is a very very depressed neighborhood. There is no need for the uppity attitude given because if it's one facet that makes a place stand out, it's great service and they do not have it here. The waiters are snobs, the bartender is a snob and they take forever in putting your bill together after dinner. I can't understand why there are so many friendly people in Costa Rica, but this place managed to hire all of the creeps.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent one night in San Jose so that we could catch an early return flight. After a lot of research on Trip Advisor I selected Hotel Grano de Oro because it was rated highly. I'm not sure if other rooms are more spacious or our expectations were too hi after the other fantastic hotels during our trip but I was not overwhelmed. The room worked for one night and for it being our last one of the trip but I would have been disappointed if it were the start of our vacation. The room was small and the bathroom was too small to accommodate more than one person at a time -- which made the logistics of getting up early for a flight that much more challenging. Our room started hot but the A/C eventually kicked in and we slept well. Walking around the terraces was nice at night. I would like to see them during the day to see if they live up to other's reviews.

Room Tip: Room 13 was at the top of the stairs nearest the lobby. We didn't hear any lobby or street noise...
Reviewed March 25, 2013

After driving through heavy, heavy traffic from the San Jose Airport, our cab stopped in front of an oasis in all the chaos! As other reviews mention, the Hotel Grano de Oro was converted from 3 Victorian-era houses. Our room was "smallish" but very comfortable and a few steps away from a roof terrace. All amenities were perfect--beds, lighting, bathroom etc. And the food for dinner and breakfast was outstanding. Both of us had sea bass prepared differently for dinner--delicious, as were the accompaniments. We would stay again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Second time in San Jose, first time at the Gran de Orno.
This hotel is in the middle of San Jose, not the best area, not a bad area. but very convenient.
The structure was formerly the home of a wealthy businessman, It's beautiful and the rooms are large.
The staff is attentive and the food here is delicious. If you want to stay at a top notch hotel and have some of the best food in Costa Rica. Stay here..
Coffee served at 6am and remains in lobby until restaurant opens.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grano de Oro for our last night in Costa Rica -- our guide recommended it because it is close to San Jose's airport. While convenient, it is also a very nice little hotel that helped us end our vacation on a high note.

Grano de Oro is a small hotel, actually converted from a Victorian-era mansion in San Jose. Our rooms were, you might say, "cozy." Still, they were very nice, each with a small outside patio area. We found the staff to be quite friendly and polite.

The restaurant in this hotel is its biggest selling point, I believe. It is outstanding. We had dinner and breakfast, and both meals were simply top notch.

Drawbacks? Its wireless internet was quirky -- on again, off again. That was no big deal for us, but it might be for business travelers. Also, its small size prevents it from offering much beyond comfortable rooms and a winning restaurant. There is a small jacuzzi upstairs, but it was occupied by a couple who obviously wanted some private time. Anyway, my young kids were a little bored.

I rated the hotel's location as poor simply because it is located in San Jose. Sadly, the capital city of beautiful Costa Rica is itself pretty wretched. I would not recommend walking in the area around the hotel.

I was quite pleased with Grano de Oro. I think it would work best for couples, but many business travelers and families will also enjoy it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family