Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Cacts(San Jose)
Autentico Hotel(San Jose)
1,887 results
All reviewsbeautiful hotelgarden suitevictorian mansionone nightcosta ricaboutique hotelopen courtyardlast nightlovely rooman oasisnext morningstandard roomwould highly recommend this hotelsmall hotellong flightcentral marketclose to the airport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent one night in San Jose so that we could catch an early return flight. After a lot of research on Trip Advisor I selected Hotel Grano de Oro because it was rated highly. I'm not sure if other rooms are more spacious or our expectations were too hi after the other fantastic hotels during our trip but I was not overwhelmed. The room worked for one night and for it being our last one of the trip but I would have been disappointed if it were the start of our vacation. The room was small and the bathroom was too small to accommodate more than one person at a time -- which made the logistics of getting up early for a flight that much more challenging. Our room started hot but the A/C eventually kicked in and we slept well. Walking around the terraces was nice at night. I would like to see them during the day to see if they live up to other's reviews.

Room Tip: Room 13 was at the top of the stairs nearest the lobby. We didn't hear any lobby or street noise but it felt a little like staying in servants' quarters tucked away from the main rooms.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

After driving through heavy, heavy traffic from the San Jose Airport, our cab stopped in front of an oasis in all the chaos! As other reviews mention, the Hotel Grano de Oro was converted from 3 Victorian-era houses. Our room was "smallish" but very comfortable and a few steps away from a roof terrace. All amenities were perfect--beds, lighting, bathroom etc. And the food for dinner and breakfast was outstanding. Both of us had sea bass prepared differently for dinner--delicious, as were the accompaniments. We would stay again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Second time in San Jose, first time at the Gran de Orno.
This hotel is in the middle of San Jose, not the best area, not a bad area. but very convenient.
The structure was formerly the home of a wealthy businessman, It's beautiful and the rooms are large.
The staff is attentive and the food here is delicious. If you want to stay at a top notch hotel and have some of the best food in Costa Rica. Stay here..
Coffee served at 6am and remains in lobby until restaurant opens.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grano de Oro for our last night in Costa Rica -- our guide recommended it because it is close to San Jose's airport. While convenient, it is also a very nice little hotel that helped us end our vacation on a high note.

Grano de Oro is a small hotel, actually converted from a Victorian-era mansion in San Jose. Our rooms were, you might say, "cozy." Still, they were very nice, each with a small outside patio area. We found the staff to be quite friendly and polite.

The restaurant in this hotel is its biggest selling point, I believe. It is outstanding. We had dinner and breakfast, and both meals were simply top notch.

Drawbacks? Its wireless internet was quirky -- on again, off again. That was no big deal for us, but it might be for business travelers. Also, its small size prevents it from offering much beyond comfortable rooms and a winning restaurant. There is a small jacuzzi upstairs, but it was occupied by a couple who obviously wanted some private time. Anyway, my young kids were a little bored.

I rated the hotel's location as poor simply because it is located in San Jose. Sadly, the capital city of beautiful Costa Rica is itself pretty wretched. I would not recommend walking in the area around the hotel.

I was quite pleased with Grano de Oro. I think it would work best for couples, but many business travelers and families will also enjoy it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rorytory
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Traveling through San Jose we stayed at the hotel for 1 night. The indoor/outdoor garden space combined with the physical layout makes this hotel perfect. Resteraunt serves great food and the staff is good, though we were seemingly forgotten about for about 20 minutes while dining.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple