$85
$64
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $71/night.

$81
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
$120
$83
Hotel Santo Tomas(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$51
$46
  • Breakfast included
$148
$128
Casa Conde Hotel & Suites(San Jose)
$111
$106
Bookit.com
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$108
Hotels.com
$160
$155
1,741 results
All reviewscosta ricacentral locationpedestrian mallrooftop barheart of san josenice hotelnational theatregold museumstreet noiseking bedyogurtlobby areastandard roomrental carfelt very safebreakfast was includedfew blocks
Reviewed May 22, 2007

This was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at in Costa Rica. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The
inclusive breakfast was OK, nothing special but not terrible. Our favorite part of the hotel was the excellent location, many of the major attrations are within a very short walk away. I would definately stay here again if I returned to San Jose.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2006

This Hotel could be a Gem if the owners cared more...
Employees try to be helpful but they could use more training
Coffee Shop serves Buffet Breakfast but you better be ready to get every thing for yourself & not be a minute late, it all starts being taken away 5 minutes before stated in Menu.
The Bar {Coffee Shop] plays loud outdated American Music
that makes you feel like you're sitting at Friday's or Applebees 's.It's hard to remember that you're in Central America while sitting in there.
We had a junior suite with a silly Jacuzzi that you needed to climb up to & take a shower, bath etc.
It's a real hazard!
The Hotel has a lot of promise & it's really too bad management
does not know it.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aidapf
danielmh, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2007

After reading this review, we remodeled all of our suites adding a separate shower in addition to the whirlpool, and improved the access to the tub to make it comfortable and safe.

The music in the News Café has been changed to better reflect the local culture.

A Maitre'D and extra staff were added to the morning crew in order to achieve better service and a more pleasant atmosphere for our guests.

We appreciate the comments and valuable suggestions this member gave us, and her willingness to offer us her time and help us improve our facilities and service.

Daniel Mikowski H.

Reviewed November 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for a week in early June. We were interested in sightseeing and the culture of a different country and the climate. We saw many different areas.

The Hotel Presidente is a very nice hotel. It is clean, the restaurant food is good and reasonably priced and the location in downtown is great. The proximity of the Del Rey is outstanding. However, don't have any dealings with the beggars on the streets. They are professional liars.

Also, I think the casino sucks. A large number of the machines are broken, and they malfunction while you are playing them.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting Costa Rica (San Jose).

The location is pretty good, it is near where most of the walking shops are, and close to the markets. The hotel itself is very well kept, and there is security 24hrs at the front entrance (basically the only way to get into the hotel).

The rooms itself were nice, maybe abit small but overall, not too bad. There were TVs and a safe to lock up all valuables. The rooms were well kept and clean. As my luck seems to go, I happened to get the room facing the front street (on the second floor), so it got a little noisey around 10am, and the maids when rolling their carts were abit noisey as well. So if you can get a room not facing the front, that would be a bonus.

There are two computers available for guests on the main floor, with a pretty fast internet connection, so that was a bonus. I also booked all my tours through the tour agent at the hotel and they seemed to be pretty accomodating and helpful. All the people at the hotel were very friendly as well.

Breakfast was included with the room and I thought it was pretty basic, but good.

I noticed on the last day that they had a room (secured) downstairs to store luggage, I had stayed the first night in San Jose then went on a few tours for 3 days and then came back to the hotel, I didn't ask, but I think they allow people to store their belongings there, as long as they are coming back to the hotel... I could be wrong but that's the impression i got.

The cost from the airport to this hotel is roughly $13-$15USD. so don't let anyone try to tell you it is significantly more than that!

Overall, i enjoyed my stay at the hotel, reasonably priced and a good location. Other than the noise during the mid mornings, everything else was fine.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
7  Thank tg49ers
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I stayed across the street last year and was not very happy, so I checked out El Presidente as a possibility for this year's trip. The room I was shown last year was very nice, so I booked a stay for Sept 3 - 5, 2006. The room I got this year was actually NICER than the room I was shown last year! This was a very pleasant surprise.

I was in a Junior Suite, which is a huge room with a sitting/dining area and a separate bedroom. The furniture is nothing luxurious, and not very comfortable, but it was nice to have the spacious feel offered by the mere size of the room.

All of the wood trim on the doors, bedroom furniture and bathroom gave it an elegant feel. The tile is also high quality. The bathrooms are nicely trimmed and equipped with the amenities one would expect from a nice hotel (shampoo, blow drier, etc.). A small refrigerator made it easy to keep my favorite beverages around.

The bed was the only real negative about the room. It was simply hard and uncomfortable. I think this may be a problem resulting from local availability more than anything, as I have never had a really good mattress anywhere in Costa Rica.

The in-room wireless high speed Internet access was a nice plus, helping me stay in touch with those at home and coordinate with my friends in other parts of Costa Rica.

The location is fantastic for checking out downtown San Jose during daylight hours, but I strongly suggest using a cab to go ANYWHERE after dark. The difference between the day crowds and night crowds is... well... night and day. There are some very shady characters on the street when the sun goes down.

The News Cafe serves great food with typical Tico lousey service. Everyone who works there is very friendly, but they (like almost all Costa Rica restaurants) don't have enough help. I also think that the automatic tip acts as a disincentive to perform. This is the rule throughout the country, not the exception.

Sitting by a window in the cafe may subject you to an occasional pitch from a street vendor. I am very good at ignoring annoying vendors, so they don't bother me at all. If you don't share my skill, just don't sit by the window.

Finally, I agree with others' comments about the guard's discretion about the attire of "guests" that you may want to bring in. The lack of an "extra guest" fee more than makes up for the inconvenience. Just make sure that she is modestly attired if you are going to bring a girl in.

My next trip to San Jose will be in January 2007. El Presidente will be where I stay when downtown. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo