“EL Prez is a nice refuge in downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Presidente

Hotel Presidente
Ranked #6 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Fla
“EL Prez is a nice refuge in downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

Stayed 08/08 - upper end room $131/night (ie. large, jacuzzi, direct TV)

PROs:
1. Hotel is clean, and gaurded
2. rooms are spacious and elegantly furnished
3. Breakfast included - EXCELLENT !! local chow
4. Staff is very respectful and accomodating
5. Concierge service is around the clock (ie. helped arrange rafting trip - REALLY EXCELLENT !!)
6. Casino anyone ?
7. Gym on the 7th floor is ok

CONS:
1. downtown San Jose doesn't have much to offer, the neighborhood around Presidente is modest, working girls and street urchins abound.. but they are not overly aggressive

For those needing to stay in San Jose - the experience is 4-Star

• Liked — Large and clean rooms with a tourist friendly staff - strong concierge service.. a good avlue
  • Disliked — the hotel is decent, the neighborhood is typical 3rd world latin america.. the street urchins speak english
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Son-of-Poochmas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

I am just updating my stay at Hotel Presidente. I stayed here in February 2008 for one night. We flew into San Jose and were off to see the rest of the country the next morning. During my stay, our bed was in poor shape and we had an issue with a taxi reservation we made with the hotel directly. We booked the taxi and arranged a price the day before we left, and upon arriving at the front desk the next morning, there was no taxi and no one knew what we were talking about. When they tracked down a taxi that could drive us to Volcan Arenal, we were over an hour late leaving and had to pay an extr $100 USD. However, after we returned to the US, I contacted the property and explained my dissatisfaction with my stay. The manager contacted me directly by phone that same day and apologized profusely. He asked how he could rectify the problem and offered to send me a check for the $100 difference their mistake cost me. The chekc arrived within the week. While I was upset after staying here, the hotel is VERY nice. I loved the room, the lobby, the bar, and the restaurant we were directed to by the front desk. No one is perfect. People and businesses make mistakes. What sets Hotel Presidente apart is that they take care of their guests and fix the problems once they happen. The manager also assured me that he had personally checked out the bed in my room and replaced the mattress after inspecting my concerns. I have no complaints at this point. After that type of customer service, I will not stay anywhere else the next time I'm in San Jose.

• Liked — Customer Service, Location
  • Disliked — initial issues, which were later resolved.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andyflippen
danielmh, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, November 25, 2008
Upon receiving this traveler’s comments and suggestions, we immediately purchased new Premium mattresses for the entire property, which are in place as of Nov 2008. Our linens were also upgraded with new duvets and covers, different type of pillows, and we added 32” LCD screens to our guest rooms.
We greatly appreciate and value constructive criticism and suggestions from our guests, and constantly try to include them in our plans and improvements.
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel from five to six days a month and even sometimes for two weeks for the past six years. I felt it was time to give a detailed reveiw.

From the front desk to reservations to the crew that works in the News Cafe Restaurant. Everything is
top notch.

This hotel has a reputation as having the best customer service, along with exceptional dedication to detail. As a traveler for business I spend about two hundred days a year in different hotels and have seen my share of good and bad hotels. This one stands above the rest for the San Jose Costa Rica area.

They have a Concerige/Travelers desk that can help you plan a day trip to a three day trip to see parts of the country from the volcano to beaches.

They also have a laundry service. You have to have your dry cleaning/laundry to the front desk by 8 AM and they will have it returned to you by 6 PM the same day.

Their rooms are kept in excellent clean condition. The Junior to Grand Spa Suites have “down” comforters on the beds and the linens to towels are always fresh. Sometimes I like to have a seista (nap) in the afternoons. So I want my room cleaned early as not to be interrupted in the afternoon. You just contact the coustomer service desk and they will have it cleaned before noon. Requests here from the customer services desk are
always welcome and received in a pleasent response.

They have a spa for massages, facials and a workout room with a great view on the 7th floor.

The front desk representatives are also very efficient. They will take time to explain in detail, the services offered, change monies to the local currency, explain your check-in
and check-out requirements. Great Staff !

We all know that someone can complain about someting after only one night in a hotel they have never stayed in before but this reviewer has stayed here, as stated before many times and If i were to use any hotel in San Jose I would reccomend this hotel with the highest recomendation/rating.

• Liked — The Whole Experience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank oceanfox88
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

This was my second stay at the Hotel Presidente and like the first time it was great. I booked a Grand Spa Suite with a view of the city. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful at all times, from the clerks at the front desk to the housekeeping service.
The stay includes breakfast at the News Cafe. Breakfast is buffet style with omelettes made to order, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, various fruit juices, delicious coffee, and a great view of the city. The staff at the cafe was also very friendly and went out of their way to make sure your stay was a pleasant one. I look fotward to my next visit to Costa Rica and another stay at the Presidente.

• Liked — The helpful staff and food
  • Disliked — Nothing that I can think of.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank LSU_MECH
Orlando,FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

Stayed from June 13 - 17, On the sixth Flr. Quiet no noise from street. The room was great (standard room) . The Breakfast was great. Location is smack middle of town. Perfect to work around.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank NYR123
costa rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

I would not recommend this hotel. My daughter and I stayed there for 2 nights prior a departure to another hotel. Presidente made the arrangements for interbus and they took us to the wrong city and the wrong hotel. Interbus looked at my hotel reservations fot the other hotel before departure as well and informed us after 3 hrs. of travel that they did not got to that location. They said Presidente made a mistake. I then had to get a Taxi and pay additional $50 and they took me to the correct hotel I called Presidente when I finally arrived at my correct hotel. I had to continue calling for 4 days and someone would always say they would call me back in a few min. They finally called back on my last day and said interbus was going to pick me up. They stated they would refund the $50. when I arrived back at the Presidente for my final night in Costa Rica they still needed to check into the return of the $50. They never refunded the $50 they said they would do. The rooms are OK and the walls are very thin. It is not a place you will get much sleep. The breakfast is the only good thing about this resort. My internet never did work in my room and we got a suite. The TV did not work as well which they replaced.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank bridgettravis
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

Better accomodations than most hotels in the downtown area. Restaurant was recently refurbished and very good breakfast included in price. Rooms are a little small but modern. Bringing in female guests can be a little tricky. There is no extra charge but if she is wearing a mini skirt or tanktop she will not be allowed in. The working girls know this but your legit girlfriend probably will not.

• Liked — modern hotel
  • Disliked — rules for guests
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends