“Not fancy but this place works”
Review of Hotel Presidente

Hotel Presidente
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This hotel is nothing fancy, but its location, friendly staff, and comfortable accommodations make it a good downtown choice. The only drawback to the hotel is its close proximity to gringo gulch and the goings on there.

The staff are very helpful. They helped find me a last minute rental car even comparing rates. The breakfast buffet was fine (perhaps not quite as good as the neighboring Bamoral hotel).

Overall I would say this is a good affordable choice, but watch out if you have your family to not accidentally wander into the zona rojo. ....or you may have to answer some interesting questions from the little ones.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better....less street noise
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mike L

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Well I don't know where to start. I stayed in 4 hotels in Costa Rica over 8 nights... While the first 3 were stellar, Hotel Presidente was a big disappointment.

Now I'll admit, I shoulder some of the blame for staying in downtown San Jose at the end of a trip to other magnificent areas of the country, but nonetheless, I still expected better.

I'll give Presidente props for nice rooms (the bathroom was superb), and the location (proximity to local museums, shopping, and restaurants). On the downside of the rooms - there was no coffee maker (really??? This is still Costa Rica, right?), and I had to ask for a fridge. Now, I normally wouldn't comment on a hotel's lack of a fridge in my room, but I just found it odd that 1-2 days prior to my arrival, I received an unsolicited email from Presidente confirming my reservation and stating in the first few lines, "All rooms come with a refrigerator." So...... naturally, I showed up with beers I wanted to keep cold.

I'll also say that the hotel's breakfast was lacking, and again, my least favorite of the 4 hotels' on my trip (by far). On the upside, the room service at 9 pm was pretty good.

My wife wants to add that she felt the overall vibe of the place was a little "cold." It just wasn't as warm and welcoming as other places we visited during our stay.

Finally, I'm still a little perplexed at this: I booked this stay at a pre-pay, non-refundable rate several months ago to get a better price. Now, conventional wisdom would lead me to think my card would be charged at the time of reservation (since even an immediate cancelation would result in a forfeit of the entire amount). However, they asked for my card upon check in (turns out I forgot to bring it - that's another story). I asked why we couldn't just use the card I booked the room with and the reply was, "Well we can if you have the card with you." So ok, no big deal, I gave them a different card. Then, at check out, I'm asked for the new card AGAIN. They told me they only put a hold on the card at check-in. Mmmmmkayyyy..... Stranger still, the hold they placed is, in fact, on the original card used to book the room.

When I told people I had 2 nights booked in San Jose, the common response was, "why??" Believe me, I don't care to go back. However, if I do, I won't be staying at Hotel Presidente.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Presidente for two nights at the end of November. Their customer service is excellent - prior to arriving, I exchanged several emails with Josue who accommodated our every need and even called to check on us upon arrival. We arranged for a taxi pickup at the airport, and they were there on time, which was wonderful. The location is excellent, right in the middle of everything, making us feel safe. The room was lovely, and the breakfast very good. I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone spending time in San Jose.

Room Tip: Higher floor may have better view and would avoid some street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank momusic
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our first stay at Hotel Presidente. We tried it because Trip Advisor offered a coupon to stay/pay for 2 nights and get the 3rd night free. Glad we did. Rooms were large and bed comfortable. Free WiFi in the room and breakfast was included. Great location for walking to sightseeing, shopping and restaurants. Staff was friendly and helpful. Husband and I both had spa services and agree that the massage was one of the best we have had anywhere. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Our 6th floor room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank pattib22
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The hotel is located exactly on a main pedestrian commercial center, Avenida Central. Walk out the front door and you are right in the middle of a stream of local shoppers, tourists and restaurant goers. There is a great variety of food, shopping, bustling cafes and pubs, even a well run casino.

Walk a few blocks to the National Theater area and the Gold Museum. A few more blocks and you are at the Mercado Central, a typical place where local shoppers go, hundreds of small stalls and shops. We had coffee, bought some trinkets, local sauces to take home. One night we walked a couple blocks to a park, where some local musicians were playing some hot dance music, and the young crowd was dancing and enjoying the evening.

The hotel itself was well run, clean, and the jr suite we stayed in had two big rooms, and an outdoor jacuzzi on a deck overlooking the mountains surrounding San Jose. Pretty spectacular view and unusual experience, hearing the street life below, but insulated in the relaxing spa. There is a tasty breakfast buffet, local specialties, nice ambience. Overall great place to spend a few days after hitting the rain forest and beaches.

Room Tip: The front has more noise from the Avenida Central, but it calms down after 10:00 and is a pleasant b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John R
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the start and end of our two week trip to Costa Rica - it was clean, comfortable, centrally located near restaurants and bars and had helpful staff - they offered to arrange a packed breakfast when we had an early check out. They also had coffee and takeaway cups ready for ourselves and several other travellers in the same position.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moods_Notts
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel is a gem! Located on the pedestrian walkway it is the perfect place to explore San Jose on foot. The room was perfect, we had a double and a single bed in ours, table and chair. Wifi is free and very quick. The breakfast buffet, offers a wide variety of foods and cooked to order pancakes or omelets. The staff are very friendly and definitely customer oriented! Our room was very clean and the bed spotless and extremely comfortable. We stayed a week and couldn't fault anything, service, accomodation, food, location, price- we felt we had a winner!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business