1,761 results
All reviewscosta ricacentral locationrooftop barpedestrian mallheart of san josenice hotelnational theatregold museumstreet noiseking bedyogurtlobby areastandard roomrental carfelt very safebreakfast was includedfew blocks
Reviewed April 10, 2008

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Presidente one night, on arrival in San Jose, then flew to the coast for four nights, then returned to the Presidente for our final three nights in Costa Rica. We arrived fairly early the first day, before noon, but were able to check in right away. On our return from the coast, we were also able to check in upon arrival even though it was well before the stated 3 PM check-in time. The hotel allowed us to check a bag at the hotel while we were gone at no charge (although I think this is a fairly common practice in city hotels). Based on a couple of the reviews about street noise, we had requested an upper floor when we made our reservations, and we were given a room on the 6th floor (out of 8) the first night and the 7th on our return. Street noise was about what you would expect from any hotel in the center of town...the a/c drowned the noise out. We found the staff very helpful in arranging for taxis (we took taxis three times and never had to wait, there was always one just outside the door in the back entrance area) and for a tour we took of a coffee plantation (the Cafe Britt tour, lots of fun). We ate at the hotel one night, an OK dinner...but the free breakfasts were great, with made to order omelettes and plenty of other choices. The rooms themselves were basic, business hotel accommodations, but everything seemed clean, which is what I look for given that I don't expect to spend my vacation time in a hotel room. The location is great, on a pedestrian-only street within two blocks of the National Theatre, the Gold Museum, and plenty of restaurants. Despite all the warnings you hear about petty crime, we never felt unsafe when we were out walking. However, if you're going to Costa Rica for the first time, don't plan to spend more than a day in San Jose, because the city itself is not particularly interesting. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in San Jose.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank ArlingtonTraveller53
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Based on reviews and the beautiful pictures, we decided to book Hotel Presidente. The location was great, amenities were nice too. However, when we were brought to our room, I was expecting something a little newer and nicer. This was because of the pictures they posted online. When we got there, the room looked older and tired, the bathroom as well. The bed didn't look as fluffly, the mattress looked small and thin and the comforters looked old. It appeared to be completely different from the pictures. We were looking forward to our stay and when we arrived, we were a little disappointed. Not as comfortable as they portray. However, in our short stay, we did enjoy the inclusive breakfast and the service was fine. I probably would not return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2008

THE BEST place to stay in San Jose. The rooms were VERY clean and comfortable. The bathrooms had granite countertops, nice floors, and a walk in shower with glass door and EXCELLENT water pressure. The location is unbeatable. Right in the middle of everything and just 2 blocks from the notorious Del Rey hotel. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in San Jose but the Presidente.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank RedskinsRule
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We chose the Presidente because of its location and reputation. We also had a recommendation from a friend in Golfito. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pedestrian boulevard, but wasn't noisey from the street. Unfortunately, they were trying to paint the bar that night (directly below our room) and the noise and odor was overwhelming. My husband had to make two trips to the front desk before they stopped the sanding machines. Food was fine and it was an easy walk to the museums and sites downtown. If we decided to stay there again, I would request a room on a higher floor and check about work going on before I accepted the room.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2008

My husband and I were in visiting CR for our honeymoon in 01/08, and stayed in Hotel Presidente twice: one night when we just arrived, and another night before our departure. For the first stay we got a room with two separate beds and when asked a room with one larger bed (it's a honeymoon!), we were told that the hotel was full. the room was OK, it was overlooking the walking strip, and was pretty noisy. Also, I woke up several times at night when our neighbors were flushing toilet in their rooms - it was that loud. The food was just OK (later I learned that the food was very good if you compare that restaurant to any others in the vicinity). We paid $89 plus tax for that room. Breakfast was included in the price. Breakfast is a hot buffer with a choice of eggs, sausage, rice and beans, and fruits.

For the second stay, they upgraded us free of charge to a larger room with king size bed and jacuzzi, as well as gave us a bottle of champaign and chocolates as a gist for the honeymoon. That was sweet! The manager Oscar was very helpful. The room was not noisy at all, and very clean.

The hotel is located in downtown San Jose, in the middle of everything. However, beware, that it is a famous pick-up place where old American and Canadian men pick up young and beautiful Costa Rican girls.

It was a nice stay, and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple