“Hotel is too noisy”

Ranked #6 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Pearland, Texas
“Hotel is too noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you have to stay in San Jose this is probably your best bet. The problem is that between the outside noise and no carpeting in the hotel, you hear every footstep and every piece of luggage going down the hall and up and down stairs. The staff was friendly and room was comfortable but we literally got no sleep due to the noise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Katherine C, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear TinaM56,

Please contact me to manager@hotel-presidente.com, so that I can follow up your claim, and take actions based on your feedback.

Katherine Carter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The rooms do not have a window, which I didn't really like. But, I did really like to just walk out the back door and be on the pedestrian mall that runs through San Juan. We had a great time walking all around, eating across the walkway for dinner, choosing a high balcony on the street for drinks, and visiting the bakeries for snack-time. The door is manned by two security guards, so it feels safe.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear KimandMitch,

Thanks for the nice review. I agree inside rooms are not as nice as city view ones, just few people request those rooms, mostly concerned about noise, but as soon as they try the city view rooms with sound proof windows, those rooms become favorites... In the future, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back anytime, please contact me directly or request city view on your reservation.

Hope to host you one day soon,

Snohomish, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed at the Presidente in the past and really liked the place. Last time I was there in 2007 they gave me an upgrade to a junior suite due to construction next to my assigned room, and it was really very nice. I just got back from a trip to Costa Rica a week ago, and I made a point to stay at the Presidente for one night even though it was twice the price of some of the other places I stayed at. It wasn't the same place as I remembered. I actually had to walk outside and look at the front to see if the taxi had taken me to the right place. Where's the restaurante? I really enjoyed being able to go down to the News Cafe for a drink or for dinner, meeting people at the bar. All gone now. The Casino is gone too. The hotel is very nice and clean, quiet, safe and a great breakfast in the lobby. A great place to get a good nights sleep before heading elsewhere. I had no real complaints, but I can list half a dozen places downtown where you can get a great nights sleep for less money. My past trips I spent multiple nights at the Presidente, but one night was plenty this time around.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a junior suite if they have a good off season price.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Nogoodscreennamesleft,

First of all, ple ase accept my apologies if your stay was dissapointing. Hotel Presidente has change its facilities since May 2011, that our News Cafe restaurant was closed and the new cafeteria was opened, however, the Casino Fiesta is still open and located in the same two floor building next door, and connected to hotel facilities at the second level as always.

I can see how you missed the News Cafe restaurant this time and respect your preferences, however, consider our hotel if appropriate and be welcome any time soon, it will be my pleasure to meet your person and hear how can our hotel fit your expectations.

El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had a very pleasant experience at this hotel. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Our room was nice as well as the buffet breakfast. We have no complaints about our stay. The hotel is centrally located in the capital of CR and is a great starting point for several tours that the always friendly concierge can arrange for you. Despite some of the negatives reviews about San Jose we found the Hotel Presidente to be safe and secure. We felt completely comfortable walking around the city. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and we wil be staying again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JandJElpaso_Texas,

It is very pleasant to hear you liked the location and change your mind about some San Jose bad impressions you read. I understand some people like cities, some people just dont like it and come to Costa Rica interested on the ecotourism only, but as you may saw, it is in San Jose where you get to know history, art and architecture. About our concierge, I just answered another review and mentioned that we are able to provide information related to one day tours, restaurants, transportation facilities, both private and public, same as information of lodging and attractions at other regions.

Thanks for suggesting our hotel to others, we look forward for a next visit and meeting you in person. Yours,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel through a travel agency. This is located in the center of San Jose. Cities aren't the safest, but felt very secure in the hotel. They have guards/gates, front desk was helpful, and awesome free breakfast (it is local food). Basic rooms/stiff beds, but some suites have softer beds and nice zen feel/jacuzzi tubs). Basic gym (an elliptical, treadmill, bike, mats, weights). Free wifi in lobby/ 2 computers. ATM and casino right next door. Grocery/market is a 5 minute walk and shops located all around. I would stay here again (but do stay outside of the city too! Costa Rica is about their greenery.)

• Stayed July 2012
Dear SFTravelbug3,

Thank you for your review, I will add that we do have a concierge desk, so our guests can book one day tours to those greenery or adventure tours that Costa Rica is famous for, as we are just 51.000 square meters. We are an official stop, so tours depart daily from our lobby. If checking in and out hotels of different zones is preferred, our concierge can also arrange rent a cars, shuttles and hotel reservations or provide information sites links.

West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

All in all, this is a very nice hotel. The rooms are clean and it has an almost South American feel to it--dark wood, white paint and marble. The only problem we had was that the room was hot and there didn't seem to be any way to turn up the air conditioner. When we tried to open the window, it helped with the temperature, but it was too noisy to tolerate for very long. Admittedly, it was Saturday night and as this hotel is very centrally-located, there were a lot of people walking around. They also seem to get up very early--the lottery salesmen began to sell their wares by about 6 o'clock, which seemed to involve a lot of yelling. I guess what I'd suggest is that you maybe bring a small fan with you, which is what I wished I had done by about 2;00 in the morning!
The breakfast, included with the room, was very Costa Rican, which I liked (gallo pinto, plantains) and there was a lot of great coffee available. The location is also pretty good for walking around as it's close to the main square with the Teatro Nacional and the Gran Hotel Costa Rica. The only problem really was the air conditioners.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Oolichan,

It is sad hearing your air conditioning was not working propperly, and if you reported it, you should have been offered a free up grade, if a quick technician visit did not solve the problem. If you did not received the mentioned attentions, please contact me to manager@hotel-presidente.com to coordinate the corresponding refund as I know that opening the window makes it impossible.... That is why we have soundproof windows in all lower floors.

Great you enjoyed the "Gallo Pinto" and plantains, same as the location, I hope you can come back some day so we can make it up for you.

Regards,

San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent 1 night at this hotel before our flight home. We had about a half day to explore SJ and wanted something central and nice. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. Our stay at this hotel topped off a great trip to CR and we left the country with nothing but great memories. We WILL return - to CR and to this hotel.

From the outside, the hotel doesn't look like much and we are glad that the shuttle driver knew where he was going - we don't think we would have found it on our own. One entrance faces the pedestrian street, the other is sort of a back entrance for cars. There aren't any large signs or anything outside to really let you know where the hotel is. Once inside though, the hotel is very nice. The open-air lobby is very comfortable. The bar and cafe are there too. It was a nice place to sit and relax, check internet, plan some sightseeing, etc.

The staff was great - the people at the check-in desk, in the bar and restaurant, and the doormen all took very good care of us. We really couldn't ask for better service. In fact, I have to say that just about everybody working in the tourist industry that we dealt with in CR was great - extremely helpful, gracious, upbeat.

Our room was very well-done - comfortable, nice decor, very clean. My only wish would be for a full-sized mirror and maybe a make-up mirror in the bathroom. The addition of those two items would make the room perfect. Wifi throughout the hotel would be good too - they have it in the lobby (free) but not in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank november_moon
Dear november_moon,

Thank you for the time writing this detailed review! I am glad you enjoyed the location and the hotel facilities. Thanks for your suggestions to improve rooms with better mirrors. Regarding WiFi in rooms, I am very pleased to announce that we now have that service in place!! New, high speed and free WiFi service is available in rooms, and all hotel facilities so that our guests can enjoy using their phones, tablets, and game devices all around.

Hope to see you soon, it a pleasure hearing you are coming back. At your service,