“A Place to Return” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Uvita, Costa Rica
“A Place to Return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have lived in Costa Rica since 1996 and have frequently stayed at the Hotel Presidente over the years. Recently, I had reason to stay there several times while I had medical proceedures at the Clinica Biblica. With the new Caldera Highway bypassing the city, it had been a while since I had been in downtown San Jose. Hotel Presidente made it a wonderful experience. The location on the pedestrian Avenida Central could not be better and the balconies give it a European atmosphere. The rooms are large and comfortable, yet private and quiet. In the early evening, you can hear the mariache bands while dining or sitting at the bar. The food is great and so is the service. However, the best thing about the Hotel Presidente is the employees. From the front desk to the maids, all of the employees are personable, attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. They go out of their way to make you feel like the most important person there. I love this place and the people who work there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank annieincrbuffy
, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Anieincrbuffy,

Thanks for your review and for your continuos patronage. I am glad you felt our staff provided good service and also that you enjoyed our restaurant. The menu was changed just a month ago, and it will be very much appreciated if you provide feedback to manager@hotel-presidente.com.

Also it will be my pleasure to meet you on your next visit to the city. Warm regards,

Katherine Carter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

We loved that this hotel was so close to everything! Dispite being right on the walk the hotel felt very secure.

, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Ashley,

Thanks for your review, I am glad you loved and enjoyed our location. Please be welcome to come back -hopefully soon-!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We arrived in San Jose at 4:30 pm on Sunday June 17.  We picked this hotel for convenience since we were going to be only two days in San Jose, before traveling deeper into the country, and wanted to be centrally located while in the city.  The hotel is about a 15 to 20 minutes ride from the airport.  Surrounded by many restaurants and eateries, stores and a pedestrian walkway.  The hotel has two entrances and they were both guarded, and there were  rather large presence of policeman on the pedestrian walk but honestly, I did not see a reason for security concern rooms are nice and clean.  The breakfast was Buffett style, plentiful and good quality.  The staff is very friendly and attentive and made us feel good specially Javier, he gave us a narrative of the surroundings and suggested where and how far we should go (teatro national, mercado national and shops) We highly recommend this hotel, and I know that we will definitely stay there the next time we travel to Costa Rica.

Juan & Dora Tampa Florida

Room Tip: We liked where we were, room 220, did not have a view, but we heard no noise.
, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Juan & Dora,

Thank for your detailed review, review readers will have a wide idea of our Hotel thanks to you both. Please contact me directly next time, it will be my pleasure to meet you and hear any suggestions you may have to improve our facilities or services. I already told Javier about your review and he is very grateful for you kind words.

At your service,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Staying here was a last minute addition to our trip but I'm actually quite glad to have had the opportunity to experience the San Jose culture and the friendly people at Hotel Presidente!

First, finding the place was a little challenging even with GPS and my friend used to live in SJ! If you're driving there a few things you need to know: #1) BR aware of the outrageous hold of funds on your credit card by the rental car companies (US$2000-$3500). #2) The roads are not in the best condition but reasonable. However, be prepared for crazy stuff like bus stops on the highway and cars to come right into your lane at any moment! #3) When you make it into SJ you will go to Calle 7 and Central Ave. the main entrance to the hotel is on central ave which is for pedestrians only. There is a side entrance off Calle 7 (7th street) but it isn't marked very well. There is a small white sign on the wall that says "Hotel Presidente Private Parking".

Other than that I have no criticism for anything else! The staff is all delightful and helpful! You can make change at the hotel for virtually the same exchange rate as the banco. They have complimentary umbrellas if it begins to rain.. The breakfast buffet was really great and they will even cook to order pancakes, fried eggs, or omlette. The room is very comfortable and modern. The bed was a little harder than I prefer but still did not keep me from sleeping through the night! Also, even though it was a Friday night and there was activity around the area outside, I didn't hear any noise while in the room. Last, the exercise room had decent equipment and a pretty good view of the city and mountains (7th floor).

I've stayed at hotels around the world and this is one of my favorites! By the way, it should be mentioned that San Jose is a BUSY and dirty city. However, I didn't experience any situation where I felt unsafe. I would not recommend you let down your guard because I'm sure there are bad people waiting to pounce but overall the people seemed generally friendly everywhere. Lastly, tipping isn't required because servers get paid a service charge. If you tip it should be small ($1-$2).

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Mark_25_25
, General Manager at Hotel Presidente, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear Mark_25_25,

I saw you have reviewed 16 times from 11 different cities, so it is very delightful to read such a nice review. I am glad you finally find us -I will add "improving sings" on my to do list- and that you enjoyed our facilities and staff service. Thanks a lot for so much compliments!

katherine Carter
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed overnight at the Hotel Presidente while on my way back from Manuel Antonio National Park in Costa Rica. After a week at the beach, experiencing the "Pura Vida" attitude and falling in love with the natural beauty of Costa Rica, I had to spend a night in San Jose before my flight home. Needless to say, coming into central San Jose after a week at the beach was a huge shock to the system. San Jose is dirty, slightly dangerous, and not very pleasant. But the Hotel Presidente helped to make my night in San Jose enjoyable and comfortable. First, it's incredibly central, which makes it easy to get to by cab and also easy to go out to grab a quick bite to eat. The hotel staff were very cautious about my friend and I going anywhere on foot at night, citing safety concerns, so we easily stayed close to the hotel with their recommendations. The next morning before my flight, I was able to easily and quickly do a little walking tour of San Jose to see the major sites - all within a few minutes of the hotel. Also, the staff were very accomodating and nice - and all spoke excellent English. The breakfast that is included was a nice touch, and the beds were incredibly comfortable. It was also great to have a nice TV with cable for a night after "roughing it" in the jungle. It helps to have a place to chill out when you don't feel super comfortable wandering the city at night and have some time to kill. The only downside is that the wifi is only accessible in the lobby, and to be fair the decor is a bit bland. It's definitely not a boutique hotel, but for what you'll get in San Jose, it's tops. And hey, it's a great price and you get a lot for your money. Definitely recommended for the (hopefully short) amount of time you have to stay in San Jose.

Room Tip: I'd suggest asking for a room NOT on the second floor, as there is a wraparound awning that made...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear JetsetNick,

Thank you very much for your objective review, even though we are not in the middle of the beach or the jungle, hopefully you pointed out our strengths as a city hotel and overall share good compliments regarding service, central location and amenities. It is very important for me to point out to future travelers, that we do have wired internet at room areas at this point, as our all concrete building has being difficult to connect 100% wireless, but after many people visiting our propperty, finally we have a WiFi solution that will be in place in less than 2 months. We really appreciate you recommend our hotel for San Jose stays, and regarding your concerns about security, well…, basically all staff is trained to provided proper and timely information, so our visitors can enjoy the city and avoid any inconveniences, so we prefer tourists do not walk alone at night -eventhough ourselves do that daily-, but nothing to be alarmed of, we do not have security issues at all into the hotel, so all room are secure even at the second floor. Cordially,

Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

The hotel is an excellent value as it is newly rennovated, very clean and has an excellent breakfast. On top of this, there is actually free parking in a secure area! I found the service to be superb and the accomodations nicer than my expectations.

The hotel is fantastic but I can't say the same for the area. Downtown San Jose is very dodgey altogether at night. We spent a night here on our Costa Rica adventure to check out the casinos at night and the muesum in the morning prior to departing to La Fortuna. The location is close to both of those attractions. If you are a gambler, I would suggest passing on that in Costa Rica unless you are looking for sexual company. The casinos were very small and full of prostitutes. I mean, FULL of prostitutes and their pimps on the corners, in the casino and all around. They harassed me in the street by rubbing me when I walked by and then wouldn't leave me alone in the casino. When I wasn't been propositioned by a prostitute, I was by a drug dealer. I would suggest leaving this area alone altogether at night unless that is the intent of your trip. Thankfully the Presidente has strict rules and great security, so none of the night time activity enters the hotel. Other hotels are not the same, so I seriously recommend staying here if you don't want that to ruin your vacation.

Room Tip: If you are driving, make sure you have a GPS and plenty of time to spare. San Jose is incredibly di...
Dear Bloveisfun,

I am glad your expectations were exceeded at our hotel but not proud of your Casino experience. For gamblers, I would suggest Casino Fiesta, there are like 6 in San Jose and surroundings, the best one is near the airport, and the atmosphere is not what you experienced. We have a concierge and he provides nigh life information and maps so you know exactly where to go and where not to go. Thanks for your comments and please be very welcome if coming back to Costa Rica. Regards,

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

We're truly miss them. We only plan to visit Costa Rica once but look like we will need to come back soon to see our new friends at your Hotel. Love the location, room and the staff. Love the free parking and the internet. Look forward to come back soon.

Freddy, All, Luis and Alexander...we miss you all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachan T,

Staff also remembers you warmly, specially Freddy. I hope you can come back soon, we will be glad to host you again. Warm regards,