“Impressed! but...”

Rincon del Valle Hotel & Suites
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I arrived late in the afternoon and check in was fast and the employees very friendly. I had booked (and paid for) the night before through Hotels.com and got a very good rate for a room described as a "Deluxe Room with a King Size bed." The porter took me to my room which was quite small but that was ok, except it had a queen size bed. I double checked my email confirmation and verified that it should have been a king size bed. I went back to the front desk and they changed my room. The porter took me to the new room, which was much bigger (apparently a room for disabled guests) but the bed was still a queen. He told me he would go back and take care of it, he came back and took me to another room. This time it was a spacious room with a king size bed and an great view of the mountains! While I was traveling alone, and a queen would have been fine, I had booked and reserved a king.

The first night, as it was getting late, I decided to eat at the Hotel Restaurant. The food was good though it's overpriced. Breakfast was included though with the room which was nice. They had eggs, cooked however you wanted, Gallo Pinto (black beans and rice, a Costa Rican staple), fresh fruit, bread & croissants, pastries, and cereal. Service at the restaurant both for breakfast and dinner were excellent.

The hotel itself is very nice and it's on a quiet street off the main road. They have a small gym with a treadmill, elliptical, and weight machine that works several different muscles. There is also a jacuzzi which I did not use. The rooms were impeccable. The staff were incredibly friendly. I arranged a tour through the front desk for Sunday to the beach and the next day the young lady who booked it for me asked how it was. Everyone from the wait staff, bartender, front desk, to housekeeping always had a smile and a warm greeting. The beds are firm but not uncomfortable and the linens are high quality. The rooms are nicely furnished and they do have an in-room safe. The curtains block out most of the morning light, though some came through at one end. If you wake early not a problem, unless it's for a tour or something I don't but I just covered my eyes with a pillow and all was ok. Wi-fi worked great in the room and in the hotel. They don't have "do not disturb signs" for the doors, I have one but it's in English only so they didn't understand it. Fortunately they don't come knocking very early in the morning :-)

My last night I inquired about transportation to the airport and was asked what time I needed to go, i said 12:30 PM and he said he would arrange it. I asked about the price, he said it was $30, I said I'd think about it. I thought I remembered seeing something somewhere about it being complimentary somewhere but couldn't remember where. I checked my email and it didn't say anything about complimentary service but then I checked the hotel information booklet and it did say they offered complimentary shuttle service. I called and asked at the front desk why I was told it was $30 when their information said it was complimentary. He said that they offer a shuttle which operates on a schedule at 7:00 AM, 8:00, 11:20, and 1:20 PM. I told him I wanted to take the 11:20 AM shuttle. Yes, it got me to the airport an hour earlier than I needed to be but it also saved me $30. I was disappointed that after such excellent service, other than the room confusion at first, he did not inform me when I inquired about getting back to the airport, that they offered a complimentary shuttle.

While I'd be happy to give the hotel a five, the issue on arrival with the room and the issue with the shuttle service were disappointing which is why I gave the hotel a four.

Room Tip: Get one facing the street so you get picture windows with a view of the mountains
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
RincondelValle, Gerente at Rincon del Valle Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear guest,
We are sorry to hear that at the beginning of your stay, you had a problem with the assigned room not having the bed size you requested. We are glad that the problem was solved promptly.

We also would like to apologize that at the time you reserved the transportation our receptionist forgot to mention the Free Shuttle’s schedules. Usually, they try to accommodate our clients in the schedule so that their wait at the airport is minimal.

Thank you for such a wonderful review of our staff and facilities, we use our guests suggestions and reviews to improve and change for the best.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Very accommodating staff. I rented a single, the hotel was busy, clean and the best was that the hotel provided a computer for personal use. The included breakfast was excellent. Dinner prices seemed to be rather high in price.

Room Tip: Rooms have windows, but some are not to the outside.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 42Keith

Dear guest

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay and that everything you needed was taken care of. We strive that our clients have everything they need, in advance, so that their stay is uninterrupted and hassle free.
Among our services, as you stated, is a free computer for guest usage; also, we have free Wi-Fi for our guests to use throughout the hotel’s areas and facilities.

We thank you for your comments; knowing of our guest’s experiences helps us to improve.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed for one night here, as we were flying out the next day. But next time we come back to Costa Rica we plan on staying here longer. The check-in was great--quickly done and a welcome drink with a handler for our bags. The room had a great A/C unit and we were quickly turning it off because it got so cold! The shower is HUGE, though you may need to call the front desk for additional towels (we only had one hand towel for a room that could fit 4 people). And we stayed in a room right next to one of the open air plant breezeways & thought that it was cool that you could open the window to get some fresh air.

And when we stepped out for the night, the front desk coordinated the taxi for us, making sure the driver knew exactly where we were going. And the free breakfast the next day was amazing. Rice and beans, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, cereal, cheese and ham slices, and hot coffee or tea. It was a great way to end our stay in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MsToni712
RincondelValle, Gerente at Rincon del Valle Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Client

It is very comforting for us to receive comments like this. We always try to make all our clients feel like as if they are home, seeing to their every need and trying to make their stay 100% stress free. We take all our guests comments to heart and always try to improve with every suggestions we receive.

We are glad your stay was as expected and we hope to be able to serve you again when your travel plans bring you to Costa Rica.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

But there was a female receptionist very rude. I paid for double accomodation but because on my online form I wrote my name, they took it as a single occupant. Yet when I tried to explain my situation, they charged me an extra $30 for my sister.
Bell man was very attentive, and nice to me. One thing I did observe, if you don't look european then good luck on getting a good service ( not just this hotel, but everywhere in Costa Rica ).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
RincondelValle, Gerente at Rincon del Valle Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Suzanne,

We are sorry there was a problem with your reservation. We are always looking for the comfort of our clients and we hope that we were able to fulfill your needs.

There is a fee when there is an extra person which was what was charged to you. This ensures that all the services provided to you will be given to the other person that is accompanying you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and would like to let you know that we will seriously take, into consideration, all of your comments about the services offered to you. Our main goal is to improve every day and that is thanks to our clients’ comments and suggestions.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel was a refreshing surprise. The service was wonderful (Allen at the front desk was outstanding), the restaurant and food was terrific and the room extremely comfortable.
My wife and I will will surely visit the hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank digitaldan111
RincondelValle, Manager at Rincon del Valle Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear client, thank you for your comments. We are happy your stay was very pleasant and above all that our staff made a difference. We hope to see you soon, so you can enjoy our newly remodeled restaurant and new dishes as well.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We met Alan ,one of the hotel staff who is friendly.very accommodating,professional,intelligent and more than willing to spend time with us and responded so well to all our questions regarding tour bookings.He is very helpful to orient us around ,very knowledgeable and has gained good rapport.including Luis and Alberto.We hope that alan and the rest will be promoted for a higher position.Rachel K and Claris

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for such good comments about our staff. We are happy to see they could help you with all you requested.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

A very nice and quiet business hotel, staff is nice, food (breakfast) is excellent.
It was a one night stay after our one week tour, just to sleepover...
Beds and pillows were great, very relaxing and a very good sleep
No amenities for family

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rafael M

Mr. Rafael, thank you for your feedback. We aim to please our guests and we are happy that we were able to please you. Thank you again for such candid comments.