I arrived late in the afternoon and check in was fast and the employees very friendly. I had booked (and paid for) the night before through Hotels.com and got a very good rate for a room described as a "Deluxe Room with a King Size bed." The porter took me to my room which was quite small but that was ok, except it had a queen size bed. I double checked my email confirmation and verified that it should have been a king size bed. I went back to the front desk and they changed my room. The porter took me to the new room, which was much bigger (apparently a room for disabled guests) but the bed was still a queen. He told me he would go back and take care of it, he came back and took me to another room. This time it was a spacious room with a king size bed and an great view of the mountains! While I was traveling alone, and a queen would have been fine, I had booked and reserved a king.
The first night, as it was getting late, I decided to eat at the Hotel Restaurant. The food was good though it's overpriced. Breakfast was included though with the room which was nice. They had eggs, cooked however you wanted, Gallo Pinto (black beans and rice, a Costa Rican staple), fresh fruit, bread & croissants, pastries, and cereal. Service at the restaurant both for breakfast and dinner were excellent.
The hotel itself is very nice and it's on a quiet street off the main road. They have a small gym with a treadmill, elliptical, and weight machine that works several different muscles. There is also a jacuzzi which I did not use. The rooms were impeccable. The staff were incredibly friendly. I arranged a tour through the front desk for Sunday to the beach and the next day the young lady who booked it for me asked how it was. Everyone from the wait staff, bartender, front desk, to housekeeping always had a smile and a warm greeting. The beds are firm but not uncomfortable and the linens are high quality. The rooms are nicely furnished and they do have an in-room safe. The curtains block out most of the morning light, though some came through at one end. If you wake early not a problem, unless it's for a tour or something I don't but I just covered my eyes with a pillow and all was ok. Wi-fi worked great in the room and in the hotel. They don't have "do not disturb signs" for the doors, I have one but it's in English only so they didn't understand it. Fortunately they don't come knocking very early in the morning :-)
My last night I inquired about transportation to the airport and was asked what time I needed to go, i said 12:30 PM and he said he would arrange it. I asked about the price, he said it was $30, I said I'd think about it. I thought I remembered seeing something somewhere about it being complimentary somewhere but couldn't remember where. I checked my email and it didn't say anything about complimentary service but then I checked the hotel information booklet and it did say they offered complimentary shuttle service. I called and asked at the front desk why I was told it was $30 when their information said it was complimentary. He said that they offer a shuttle which operates on a schedule at 7:00 AM, 8:00, 11:20, and 1:20 PM. I told him I wanted to take the 11:20 AM shuttle. Yes, it got me to the airport an hour earlier than I needed to be but it also saved me $30. I was disappointed that after such excellent service, other than the room confusion at first, he did not inform me when I inquired about getting back to the airport, that they offered a complimentary shuttle.
While I'd be happy to give the hotel a five, the issue on arrival with the room and the issue with the shuttle service were disappointing which is why I gave the hotel a four.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strategically located near La Sabana Metropolitan Park, the heart of the city of San Jose, you will find Rincon del Valle Hotel and Suites, ready to offer you a comfortable and friendly environment where guests can enjoy themselves of the peacefulness and security of the area. The Hotel is located just 1.2 Miles from downtown San Jose and 10 miles from Juan Santamaria International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Rincon del Valle Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rincon Del Valle Hotel And Suites
- Rincon Del Valle Hotel San Jose
- Rincon Del Valle Hotel & Suites Costa Rica/San Jose