“Great Location, nice property, fair value!”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Tampa, Florida
“Great Location, nice property, fair value!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have stayed here 4 or 5 times and have always had a good experience. Rooms are clean and well maintained. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Value is fair to good and location is the best! You can call and make a reservation over the phone if you prefer not to prepay through the website.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
Santa Rosa California
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Balmoral Hotel is within walking distance of some of the cultural heritage sites of San Jose. I especially like the second floor restaurant where people watching is great. The restaurant looks out on a pedestrian pathway, there are other bars across the street and lots of friendly banter goes on as the night progresses. The drinks are good and the food is very good. For breakfast, the lower level restaurant provided variety and good food. I was on a group trip and thought the the staff and amenities were a good value. Rooms were very clean. My only problem is that I had a room on the interior of the hotel on a night when the hotel had to repair the roof water tank. There was no water after 10:00PM (not a problem) but the construction noises went on all night. The men were shouting at each other and there were loud bangs and crashes as materials were removed and replaced. I should have been moved to a room with no access to the noise.

Room Tip: Find out if the hotel is doing any work and request a room away from the noise.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful but our room was a complete disappointment. Smaller than what we expected, with a constant, unfavorable smell and our only window opened to some kind of industrial exhaust shaft. The pillows reminded us of sand bags. And the bed linens didn't seem freshly laundered.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

New Jersey
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was my first trip to San Jose, and to Costa Rica. I traveled solo. I found the Balmoral to be a safe hotel in a good location. I stayed in the hotel for six nights. My room was spotless and comfortable. I believe I had a standard room. The only issue I had with the room was there is no chair to sit on. There is a type of padded stool at the desk in the room. But the stool has no back on it. Maybe as a suggestion, a type of chair can be placed in the standard rooms. The windows are not double-pane glass. My room was not facing the street. The windows were facing the interior of the building facing other rooms. On two occasions people were talking loudly in one of the rooms. They must of had their windows open. My windows were closed and I could here them very clearly. The hotel rooms are being renovated. I dont know for how long this project is taking place. But they start at around 7am and end at around 6:30pm. So you will possibly hear a lot of noise if you want to sleep late or come back to the room for a rest. And I dont know if it was just my room. But the air-conditioner is very noisy. This did not bother me, but could other guests.
As for the staff. I found them to be wonderful. They were so friendly and helpful. And I dont mean just the front desk staff. All the positions, including the restaurant staff.
In general I would recommend this hotel to people, and I would stay there again. The hotel itself is nice, but the employees at this property is what makes the Balmoral extra special.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

1 Thank swm52
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The location was perfect for all of your San Jose visiting needs. The staff was excellent and the accommodations were perfect. I'd stay again without hesitation. Walking distance to all of the major attractions. Taxi easy to catch. Very nice restaurant with free breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor. Elevators were very convenient and no noise to speak of.

Camuy, Puerto Rico
Reviewed March 21, 2014

we where there 2 years ago; the problem is not the hotel. the problem is it's location... during my first breakfast there (the restaurant is good) I learned that all the transportation routes converges in San Jose. Then, an impressive amount of people is continuously flowing in all directions; roads are terrifically crowded.
nevertheless it is easy to get tours to anywhere....

Room Tip: balcony to the road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I only stayed here on my last night in Costa Rica. My friends I and picked this place because they stayed a few days longer to explore San Jose. I had to leave early the next morning so I didn't spend much time in the hotel. The hotel was nice and clean. They offered me breakfast to-go becuase my shuttle for the airport left before breakfast started. The downside was that it costs $30 to shuttle to the airport. Since my friends stayed longer and no one else was going to the airport at that time, I had to pay it by myself. If you are staying in San Jose for a few days, it seems to be a good place to stay. If you are just staying one night before catching a flight, I recommend staying much closer to the airport.