“Perfect base for air travel in and out of Costa Rica”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed overnight in preparation to fly out early the next AM and to experience San Jose. Our room was modern, clean, spacious and featured lofty, pristine linens. The location is fabulous affording easy access to main downtown attractions. We had dinner in the restaurant and found the food to be generously portioned and wonderfully prepared. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Convenient location, it's within walking distance of the central market, Gold museum, National Theater, and a little bit further the National Museum. The front desk is very helpful with giving directions to most of the attractions as well. Rooms were clean and very spacious. I had one day where the hot water was out due to maintenance but other than that I would recommend this Hotel to anyone visiting San Jose.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside away from the main street would probably be better if you like to sleep in a lit...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night prior to leaving Costa Rica. I found the area around the hotel a bit intimidating at night but during the day it is very walkable. The room is large and very clean. I enjoyed watching the superbowl on the flat screen. The breakfast was fabulous with pancakes and eggs cooked to order. There are also shops in the hotel. I would chose this hotel if in San Jose again. I highly recommend walking to the central market just a few blocks away on central avenue. The front desk staff is helpful with calling a taxi and printing airline boarding passes. Great hotel for the price.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Upon arriving in Costa Rica we stayed here for one night. While the hotel is centrally located and the room is clean there was no hot water until the the next morning. I do not recommend this hotel and will be booking elsewhere for our last night in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I've stayed in numerous hotels in San Jose and other parts of Costa Rica, but this was my first time staying at the Balmoral, so I didn't know what to expect. It's one of the pricier hotels I've stayed at, but in my opinion, it was well worth what I payed. My room was spacious, well-kept, clean, and very comfortable. I never had problems getting hot water or good water pressure. All of the appliances worked; even the safe was easy to use. Friendly English-speaking staff. Nice restaurant on Avenida Central with a good atmosphere and fun for people watching. The included breakfast was decent, though it's a shame it ends at 9 AM and not 10 AM. This is the best hotel I've stayed at in San Jose for the price, and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We are staying at this hotel at the moment, arriving after 14 days in Costa Rica & Nicaragua on our honeymoon. We got these rooms for $112 a night and were excited to find a beautiful room to unwind in the city. What we found was a dated hotel with old couches and disgusting carpets. Stairs that lead to construction zones, noisy traffic and the smell of mold.
The reception girl was smug and curt. The food downstairs was decent but very overpriced.
Nothing authentic, clean, safe feeling or comforting about this place. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. We are stuck here now for another night and very disheartened.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Staying at the Balmoral Hotel was a great experience. Its location cannot be beat, just a block from the Museo de Oro and the main plaza. There are many convenient fast food restaurants right outside the door. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean, with quiet, nicely decorated rooms. We arrived in the early morning after a red eye flight, and had a quiet, safe place to wait in the lobby until our rooms were ready. We were in our rooms by 12:30. The food is excellent. The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone who is coming in to San Jose. The pharmacist in the downstairs pharmacy was also helpful. This is a great value for a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family