“The best location and service”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Excellent location, right on the Avenida Central. Quiet area at nights, and safe. Wi-fi is accessible from anywhere in the hotl. Great beds and nice, warm showers. The breakfast is great and food choices are wide. Service is top niotch, as to be expected in Costa Rica, which always proves their "Pura Vida" message and vibe. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Balmoral Hotel

Reviewed October 30, 2013

excellent location in downtown of san jose right in the middle of all shops, close to parks etc. very friendly staff, clean and big rooms, tasty breakfast, good restaurant for lunch or dinner, we had to leave at 3 am to airport, hotel - taxi was on time and breakfast to take out ready at recepcion. 100% recomendable

Room Tip: we prefer rooms with street view because they have more day light.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nelson l
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Great location right in the middle of San Jose, great price and big room! couldn't ask for more. It was half price when I booked which helped ~ $59, for which I had the smallest room. But it was plenty big enough for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Turns out San Jose hotels have a very strict guest policy. Which sucks if your traveling with friends looking for a good time. I met a friend in Tamarindo and traveled Costa Rica for a week together prior to reaching San Jose. The Balmoral had a friendly guest policy, was super clean, centrally located near shops, restaurants, had a gym, and a super friendly staff at a GREAT RATE. The hotel was safe and secured at all times of day, and offered everything I needed for my stay in San Jose. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Doesn't have a pool, and I didn't inquire about spa. room service was provided by an ajoini...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Neuva Balmoral is a pleasant surprises. Conveniently located in Downtown San Jose is truly a great location and the special reopening price is fantastic which is for 1 year when you register. For the regular visitor on business this is truly the best deal in downtown. The included breakfast is also one of the best. The rest of the meals are priced to be competitive. The meals are generous is portion but more importantly very well prepared and tasty.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just got back from a 9 day trip to Costa Rica. Stayed at the Balmoral Hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and one night at the end of our trip. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay both times! Stayed in a regular room the first 2 nights and thought the room rate was very reasonable, especially to be in the heart of downtown. The last night we stayed in a suite and again I thought the room rate was very reasonable. Made the reservations through the hotel's website. Ate at The Patio restaurant for lunch and dinner. Enjoyed the food. Try to sit close to the outside so you can watch the hussle and bussle of the main street (no vehicles other than police cruiser allowed). All the staff we came into contact with we great. The hotel is within walking distance to many attractions, although all our travels this trip were outside the city. I would definitely stay at the Balmoral Hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HucksMomRichland_WA
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Balmoral at the beginning and end of a private tour. I had developed a medical condition during our travels. When informed, the staff at the Balmoral immediately located emergency technicians, who came to our room, did an examination and attempted a treatment. The Balmoral staff stayed with us and provided interpretation, as we are not Spanish speakers. When my condition did not improve, the staff provided information about hospital services, and a person to walk us to a taxi just outside the door, and also facilitated our return. Fortunately, I was successfully treated and able to travel. Upon our return, the staff welcomed us and inquired about my condition and asked if there was anything I needed. We loved the restaurant there--beautiful environment and great Costa Rican and American food. Several beautiful shops, smaller cafes, lots of alcoves to sit in and visit or just read or relax, excellent and friendly staff everywhere. There is obvious security on site, even though this is a relatively safe part of the city. Great centralized location within walking distance of many attractions. Not fancy, but certainly very nice and comfortable. If I go back to San Jose in the future, I will definitely consider staying there again. Felt like home after being there for a week!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends