Balmoral Hotel
$129
$89
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose(San Jose)
$160
$155
$113
$85
$94
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$104
$62
$60
  • Breakfast included
1,503 results
All reviewscosta ricagold museumparking garagecentral locationpedestrian streetnice hotelheart of downtown san josebreakfast buffetfront desk staffmini barwalking distancesuperior roomnational theatredowntown areaenjoyed my stayshort stayrice and beans
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just got back from a 9 day trip to Costa Rica. Stayed at the Balmoral Hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and one night at the end of our trip. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay both times! Stayed in a regular room the first 2 nights and thought the room rate was very reasonable, especially to be in the heart of downtown. The last night we stayed in a suite and again I thought the room rate was very reasonable. Made the reservations through the hotel's website. Ate at The Patio restaurant for lunch and dinner. Enjoyed the food. Try to sit close to the outside so you can watch the hussle and bussle of the main street (no vehicles other than police cruiser allowed). All the staff we came into contact with we great. The hotel is within walking distance to many attractions, although all our travels this trip were outside the city. I would definitely stay at the Balmoral Hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HucksMomRichland_WA
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Balmoral at the beginning and end of a private tour. I had developed a medical condition during our travels. When informed, the staff at the Balmoral immediately located emergency technicians, who came to our room, did an examination and attempted a treatment. The Balmoral staff stayed with us and provided interpretation, as we are not Spanish speakers. When my condition did not improve, the staff provided information about hospital services, and a person to walk us to a taxi just outside the door, and also facilitated our return. Fortunately, I was successfully treated and able to travel. Upon our return, the staff welcomed us and inquired about my condition and asked if there was anything I needed. We loved the restaurant there--beautiful environment and great Costa Rican and American food. Several beautiful shops, smaller cafes, lots of alcoves to sit in and visit or just read or relax, excellent and friendly staff everywhere. There is obvious security on site, even though this is a relatively safe part of the city. Great centralized location within walking distance of many attractions. Not fancy, but certainly very nice and comfortable. If I go back to San Jose in the future, I will definitely consider staying there again. Felt like home after being there for a week!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The Balmoral Hotel is located in central San Jose..On Central Ave...Central Ave. is a street that does not allow vehicles..pedestrian traffic only...the rooms are pleasant...with in walking distance of the Butterfly Sanctuary...The Gold Museum...The National Theater..and the central market...the staff ia among the best in San Jose...The Patio restaurant is part of the Balmoral..and has Latino and American cuisine...Would recommend it for anyone..for families it is Ideal..and the free as you like it breakfast is great......

Room Tip: Check with the staff...you may just get an upgrade.....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Nice and comfortable room except every time i wanted to sit back against the wall on my bed, it would slide away a little :) and I had to push the bed back against the wall. Bathroom was clean and OK. Shower space was too little. Breakfast was excellent. Nice buffet. Cook can make on the spot anything you like to eat. Overall it was a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Balmoral - the facilities are totally modern and very nice. The wi-fi even worked as good as expected (for a hotel)

It really is a good location. The staff were all excellent we had no problems being gringo US english only people and were treated great by everyone.

The restaurant has really good food - the included breakfast buffet is great. For dinner the food is good -- but be prepared to pay US prices but it offers a great view of the pedestrian street outside.

I would stay again.