“Great Hotel”

Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise for use. Upon booking less than 24 hours in advance we got a great deal online at a hotel with plenty of ammentites. The pool area is beautiful and access to the Gold gym is included as well as free breakfast. The Cons are that it is a little far but not too far (20-30 mins) from the airport and there is nothing around the hotel that we saw. I would recommend this hotel for someone who wants ammenties and a more cosmoplitan hotel.

Room Tip: Guacamole Gazpacho is delicious!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Greetings from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

20106000

Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is an upscale conference/business hotel which I would have loved to give high marks to. I stayed there for three nights recently (separate nights: rooms 2004, 3008, 3007). It didn't work for me.

The plusses are evident. Rooms are very nice and quite roomy --- high ceilings, lovely decor with historical San Jose pictures on the walls and dark wood accents, fancy bedding with loads of decorative pillows, etc. My room had a King bed and the room had plenty of storage and a table/chairs for relaxing --- also a desk-type table and ergonomic chair. Wireless was available in the room and there is a 32" flat screen TV. I didn't watch it, but it is there. Bathroom looks nice (with all the toiletries and hair dryer, etc.) but the shower is impossible to control, with it going from super cold to super hot, without moving the dial. You could freeze or burn, in the same shower session. After it happened to me once, I was afraid to try it again and two other people in my group mentioned the same thing -- they obviously had different rooms.

Also in my room(s) --- 3 separate nights in 3 different rooms --- the Sleep # Bed controls did not work in any of them. Radisson promotes their Sleep # bed but if it doesn't work, you might end up sleeping on a very hard, uncomfortable bed as I did and some of my friends did. We were on a tour so we all compared notes.

The buffet breakfast in the morning (included) is good, healthy and varied. Oatmeal is watery but there is plenty of fruit and good yogurt and other egg and pancake and bread dishes. Even an omelet station. The restaurant and bar tend to be expensive for afternoon and evening meals, but it is a conference hotel so that might be expected, by some. The bar is WAY too loud to sit and eat in. We ate in the area outside the bar, attached to the lobby --- just for some quiet and ability to converse. Funny thing --- the bar is always empty, so maybe they should tone down the volume as it's repelling customers, rather than attracting them.

The hotel is isolated from other restaurants and shops ---- it backs up to a major highway (which can be noisy at night also, with the trucks downshifting right next to your room and your ears...that would be rooms 2004 and 3008) --- so it's not easy to walk to restaurants as an alternative to the hotel. I tried to go across the street to get some colones at a bank and the traffic was so bad, I almost got hit, though I was running fast. Not a comfortable area in which to walk. No place to walk to for a quick bite and no vending machines in the hotel for a snack. To me, it wasn't a user-friendly hotel for people without a car.

Also, note that you can't make calls out of the hotel (on an International Calling Card) without being charged an exhorbitant amount of $$ just for trying (going through the hotel operator, evidently). In my room, there were no directions in how to do this and no explanation that going through the hotel operator (on a FREE 800-number calling card) would cost so much. Watch out for that one.

Would I stay there again? Not by choice. Fine for locals with cars but not so much for tourists.

Room Tip: Stay away from the loud highway side of the hotel. Try to get a room over the courtyard, otherwise...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MarlySF
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Greetings from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed with relevant departments about the inconveniences you had during your stay with us and are taking the necessary actions so that such situations turn to give with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a very nice clean hotel with good facilities and large rooms located within walking distance of the centre of the city. Although by default this hotel should be a 4 or 5 star it just is missing the touches that make it good. For example our room was missing the remote control for the TV and this was a suite. Also breakfast was a buffet affair of pretty average food. Lastly room service took over an hour to arrive and we had to negotiate that charge off our bill.

Overall if you are having a conference then this is the hotel to go for in San Jose. If you are a couple like us I'd recommend a small boutique hotel instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlistairPeebles
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here in November 2012 and January 2013. Firstly, the rooms are quite spacious and clean. The room service is quite efficient. There is a special dining area on the executive floor with free flow of soft drinks, coffee and snacks 24 hours. The front desk is quite efficient and warm. It was a lovely stay altogether

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NarayananManoj
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Greetings from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

On behalf of all staff of Radisson, we would like to thank you for your choice and we hope to see him again when traveling to this area. Their suggestions are being taken relevant departments are taking the necessary actions in order to improve and exceed their expectations in a next visit, thanks again for your feedback.

Sincerely

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel from Dec 29th thru Jan 18th while having extensive dental work done at Meza Dental Clinic. We were given a very roomy suite on the 4th floor. I had some special requests when we arrived where the manager had to be contacted. She took care of all our needs to which we were extremely greatful. When you stay at a hotel for 20 days you really get to see what they are made of. The beds were the sleep number type which is what we have home so that was great. I spent much of my trip either at the dentist or in the bed while recovering from all the work I had done so a comfortable bed was a God send. The food was good although after 20 days we had our share. For breakfast they had a lot to choose from and there was an omlet station that was very good. One night when we had food delivered to our room. I believe his name was Carlos he noticed we had purchased a pineapple and a melon that day. He took both of them and cut them up for us so we could have them with our dinner. One day we asked the valet where we could get a rental car. He took it upon himself to call half a dozen rental agencies because he knew due to it being just after New Year's Day we we're going to have trouble finding a car. We were very impressed with the service. I noticed one person on this site complaining about valubles missing from their safe. We had valubles including cash in our safe the whole time we were there and nothing was ever missing. The one thing that drove me crazy was how much they honk their car horns in this country. It starts at 6:00 A.M. and pretty much goes all day with rush hour being the worse. You would hear this no matter what hotel you stayed at in San Jose. My advice would be to get a room away from the street or by the pool. At the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve we had a great surprise. Just about all of San Jose started lighting off fireworks. We were on the 4th floor so we were able to see much of town from our room. It lasted for about an hour and was quite impressive. We did have some time to travel around. The countryside is absolutely beautiful and there is plenty to do wether you're looking for adventure or just looking to drive around and sightsee. If you are staying in San Jose we would definitely recommend this hotel. I wish I remembered more names of the staff at the hotel because they do deserve to be mentioned here.

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a room toward the inside of the hotel. There is much less traffic noise...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert B
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The rooms were extremely spacious, clean, with a sizable bathroom. Plenty of hot water...the pressure was a little light, but that was common in most Costa Rican hotels. I was at several hotels during my last trip, but this was the most comfortable bed that I slept on! There was a remote control to the bed that could control the firmness of the bed, and the pillows were in abundance in both number and comfort. Needless to say, I slept very well at this hotel. From what I experienced, the staff seemed friendly and helpful.

The surrounding neighborhoods are a little sketchy, but that seemed quite common in San Jose. Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of San Jose itself, but if I had to stay in that city again I would definitely look into this hotel. It was a great value and only about 8 blocks away from the main shopping area in downtown.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lostonearth_13
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel sits near the university in san pedro. It is very nicely decorated and clean. The breakfast was solid and the hotel boasts a gold's gym which guests may use. It even at a aerobics room for classes. The hot tub wasn't working or the temperature wasn't warm which was a negative. Other than that I enjoyed staying here for 2 nights. Although the bartender didn't speak a lot English we were able to ask her in broken spanish the night life spots to hit up. She recommended jazz cafe and vertigo bar.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jonathan c
RD_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Jonathan: