1,523 results
All reviews sleep number costa rica executive floor indoor pool hot tub buffet breakfast room was large comfortable hotel close to downtown golds taxi conference cons pros country dollars neighborhood
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I spent 3 weeks here. This is not a 4-star experience!

POSITIVE ASPECTS:

Location is better than I thought, you can walk downtown in daylight in 15 minutes.

Staff (as everyone in Costa) is very friendly, but in many ways incompetent.

The laundry service. Reliable within a few hours!

Free wireless internet everywhere and it works decently.

As always, here my detailed breakdown of this hotel's problems. I hope the management will read this and consider my suggestions and improvements. Please feel free to contact me with a comment or response on tripadvisor.

—— PUBLIC AREA ——

Hallway music at 7am really loud, and at 23:40 on 25.12. Too loud to fall asleep. Again at 00:48 on Jan 3rd.

Leaf blower very loud and annoying: same result could be achieved with a broom.

—— ROOM & ROOM SERVICE ——

Lamps and many things in the room and bathroom are crooked or loose.

Both shower doors stuck in room 4038 (glas against stone - ouch).

Can't open windows in any of the suites (4038 & 4035)

No plugs next to bed!!

Toilet cover moves

All the times on the alarm clocks are totally off, up to 40 min wrong time.

The door between my two rooms suddenly locked - no idea hownt happens - can't get into my own bedroom! Had to call for help.

Cookies have not been refilled two days in the row.

Soap holder in 4035 loose, soap keeps dropping.

4035: empty mini bar and no cookies

4035: mini bar fridge very loud had to unplug it to sleep!

—— FOOD ——

First day breakfast: no one told me that half the stuff is missing because of some group event. Only scrambled eggs and rice with beans available, not even bread. I was shocked. From day 2 the buffet was expanded but the quality of everything is really bad.

In the restaurant I asked twice If orange juice is freshly squeezed, answer was yes, I still got syrup with water.

Cappuccino really bad

Breakfast: Only one kind of sandwich meat, and it's almost tasteless.

Oatmeal bad

—— GENERAL SERVICE ——

No one offered me to change room in the first week despite my multiple complaints about the bathroom (low water pressure and ugly). They said all the bathrooms are the same. Only in the second week I got a different room with a much nicer bathroom and ok water pressure. Why did they lie to me in the first week?

One time, the laundry was not picked up despite call to the reception and their promise.

I expected a guest, and they gave the guest a really hard time at the reception (almost to the point of harassment) instead of just calling me in my room to ask whether I expect someone.

Too much use of plastic for clean laundry! Not necessary and not environmentally friendly!

Why was I not informed only in the third week that I can put the hotel-taxi expenses to my room? This would have spared me a lot of handling of small change of colones.

3  Thank dgor82
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

We are unhappy to hear about the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. We have addressed the concerns you had regarding the quality of the food, the condition of your room, and the lack of service from the staff members with management in order to ensure we are taking the necessary measures to improve our property and our service so we are adhering to the standards of the Radisson brand. We value your feedback and we hope you get the chance to stay with us in the future so we get the chance to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel is well located if you want to be close to downtown but not quite there. There are not many things to do from a walking distance and although room rates are very good, restaurant prices are not. You can get nbetter rates outside, but this is expected at any hotel. However we had one of the best Chifrijos of our trip there. Everyone was very friendly and breakfast was very generous with local and "regular" food. We did not go into the swimming pools because they are not heated and only had time to go in the morning i.e. water was coold. We used wifi on our phones without having to pay extra. I really liked that besides shampoo and lotion they also provided a sewing kit, dental floss and a shower cap. I would stay there again.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
RD_CRSanJose, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel San Jose Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Greetingas from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

Dear Bruixita:

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Radisson Europa is a very quiet and peaceful hotel with a very accomodating staff. I stayed in a double with pool view and the room was quite large with at least 15 foot ceilings. I had no problems with the water quality or temperature. I was able to take hot showers any time of the day and brush my teeth without getting sick. The water is purified so it is safe to drink. The room has its own thermostat or you can open a window for some fresh air. Internet for your laptop is wireless and is free but you will have to pay if you use WIFI on your cell phone. The pool area is very peaceful with a vast amount of tropical plants, waterfalls and benches. The water in the pool is very cold because it is an outdoor pool and all outdoor pools in San Jose will be cold throughout the year unless they are heated. The water in the spa/hottub was hot and I spent a couple of hours soaking in it. After a long day it was good to relax in the pool area. The pictures on the Radisson website are up to date and match the hotel.

I did not find its location to be a problem. The hotel has a line of taxis out front and some are there 24 hours a day. We had a tour and needed to get a taxi to take us to the pickup location at 5:00 AM and there was a taxi ready as soon as we walked out of the lobby. In San Jose you do not want to walk around at night due to the potential for crime. The city is designed for taxis and they are everywhere. So don't hesitate taking one even if the drive is short.

If you like to work out Golds Gym is right next door and your stay includes access to the gym. It is the same size and quality as any Golds Gym in the U.S.A. There is also a casino next door if you like to gamble with Texas Hold'Em. If you need an atm there is a bank a short walk away. The distance to the bank is about half a block. You will get a better rate on currency transfer at the bank then using the currency exchange at the airport.

I ate only once at the hotel in the bar area and the food was very good. I had Cerviche and a bowl of Scallop Soup. Although they were listed as appetizers there was more than enough to make it a meal. No hotels in Costa Rica have vending machines. So if you want a soda you will have to order it from room service or go to the restaurant and purchase it. The room has a refrigerator so I would recommend getting a few sodas for future consumption.

The Radisson Europa is a great hotel and I will stay here again when I return to Costa Rica.

Room tip: I would recommend a pool view room to ensure you get a very quiet room. My room was on the second floor and I had no complaints with it.

Grettings from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

Dear David-bb63

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your bussines and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is amazing and it is in a good part of San José. Not in the center but near it. The staff was very kind and the room was really really comfortable. The pool area is cool and have different pools. I would stay there again but one thing I really dislike in the hotel. They have one employee that is a Taxi driver and always stay in front of the hotel. It is a normal taxi just like all the taxis in San Jose. I asked them to hire a taxi for me and they brought me this taxi from the hotel. The driver didn't wanna start the taximeter and said it would be 3.000 colones for the ride. Normally I pay 700 Colones for that ride. If the taxi was one business service or different from the other taxis it would be ok, but this was really upset. This is the worst way of taking money from a tourist, the hotel should take care of the guests not taking money like this. I was really sad with this case, because every time this happens in other cities I feel like robbed. I would stay there again because it is a good hotel but I will ask in the reception to hire me one taxi that won't fool me.

Date of stay: November 2012

Greetings from Radisson San Jose Costa Rica

Dear Vistor N:

if in fact we are already taking alternatives to modify the rates of taxis ls the appropriate apologies.

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

The Hotel is located close to The City Centre. Spacious room, good breakfast and Good value. Paid USD 109 for a Double including breakfast. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The Hotel Building Itself is a Bit Old.

Date of stay: November 2012