Lowest prices for your stay
$75
Tom F
Atlanta

Great affordable hotel in San Jose

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Aug 12, 2019
We spent four nights at Hotel Santo Tomas. It is very conveniently located. From the street it doesn't look like much, but inside it is the former home of a coffee Baron which has been converted into a hotel. The rooms are large. The breakfast was good. It is a nice change of pace from the chain hotels. The front desk clerk Omar was great. He helped arrange tours for us. I spoke with the owner, Thomas Douglas, who is interesting and had lived in Costa Rica for 30 years. This hotel had very much of a family feel to it which I liked very much.I will definitely stay there on my next trip to San Jose.
Date of stay: August 2019
5.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded Oct 6, 2019
Hi Tom, Great having you stay and really enjoyed our chat in the breakfast area. The original home was built in 1908 and, when I purchased it Nov. 23, 1989, the parking lot behind us was also trying to purchase it so that it could be torn down !! Omar is a great addition to ur staff and has been with us for about 8 years now, wonderful person. All of our staff are trained 24/7 and most of them speak English as well including all ofhte staff. Thank you so much for the fantastic review and highest score. Looking forward to your return.
Thomas, Heidy & Staff
P.S. sorry for the late response, I had a full knee replacement 6 weeks ago and it has been a bear, just now coming up to speed.
    $112
  • Lol.travel
0.9 miles from Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center
View more hotels in San Jose
1,216 results
All reviews costa rica hot tub old house ceiling fan few blocks charming hotel heart of san jose rental car secure parking national theatre downtown area rice and beans thomas santa tours country oasis
Selected filters
Reviewed August 9, 2019

We stayed at this hotel for one night before our flight back home. The hotel didn't have major flaws, but wasn't great either. The location was very convenient, right in the center of the city.

We had an upper floor "superior plus room". On the plus side:
- comfortable bed
- good water pressure
- fast wifi

Problems:
- tv high on the wall
- the room had no A/C, only a fan
- the only window facing the hallway where people were walking
- no tea kettle or coffee maker
- only one roll of toilet paper
- At breakfast we noticed that yogurt and jam didn't taste good. I mentioned it to the owner and he said they are probiotic made by his wife.

This worked for one night, but I wouldn't stay there again.

Date of stay: March 2019
3  Thank eugene_o
AdvisorHST, Owner at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2019

Hi Eugene, This is from Thomas the hotel owner, renovator, builder and on site operator for the past 29 years , along with my wife, Heidy.
I thank you for your review. I went thru your reviews posted, all 156 but with only 57 helpful votes. I found only a few hotels with 5 star reviews and all of them were expensive hotels except maybe one. Almost all were 4 dots or less and all with some type of negative comments. I urge readers to consider this when reading your reviews. I do appreciate your positive comments though, the three items you listed, are the most important for a traveler, so we scored big there with you!
In our listings, we do not say we have air-conditioning, but we do have 15 foot high ceiling with elegant fans in keeping with Colonia Costa Rica historical mansions. Be more than happy to give you more toilet paper, as in any hotel just call the front desk. No, we do not have coffee makers in the room as in the US chain hotels. However, we do have a fabulous Italian, 8 different beverage machine in the lobby which grinds the beans right then, Available 24/7. The yogurt, butter and Keifer is pro biotic and homemade, not the sweet commercial type sold in stores. I am happy to say that there are thousands of very high rated and positive reviews listed everywhere and we have been top listed in all the Costa Rica guide books now for almost 30 years. I apologize we did not meet your standards.
Thomas

Reviewed August 3, 2019

Or a hotel simply from its appearance from the street. Hotel Santo Tomas is on a somewhat gritty street on the edge of Barrio Amon and just a block from the central area of San Jose. From the street, you basically see a gate in front of the porch.
Once inside the gate, you'll find a renovated (and expanded) villa with high ceilings and tile floors everywhere. The courtyard with the pool and Jacuzzi are nice and welcoming. The rooms are large and clean -- more quaint than lavish, but they are certainly a good value for the price charged. The staff and owners offer great hospitality. It feels more like a large B&B than a hotel with the chance to chat with the owner at breakfast.

I liked the location. It is within walking distance of the museums and downtown, but we also walked to Barrio Escalante (the foodie district of San Jose) for lunch.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Bill G
AdvisorHST, General Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2019

Hola 266billg, Hey this is a great description of how the front can fool you! As this is a historical landmark property, I can't really change the front, just paint. Your description nailed it, thank you ! The original home was built in 1908 and as such has 15-foot tall ceiling, lovely wooden floors polished twice a day and hand made mosaic tiles as well. Over the past 30 years, we have added on loveling the pool, jacuzzi area, new second-floor annex, and the parking area. We are in the accommodation business not the lodging. So our staff is all trained to do that extra to make your vacation in Costa Rica memorable. Over a million guests have passed thru the front doors over the past 30 years. A great review, thank you so much.
Thomas, Heidy & Staff

Reviewed July 18, 2019 via mobile

We arrived to Costa Rica in the late afternoon and planned a one-night stay in San Jose before we ventured off on our exploration! The staff at Hotel Santo Tomas were incredibly kind and helpful, the rooms are no frills and comfortable (they gave us a free room upgrade, too), breakfast was delicious, the pool and hot tub were lovely, they helped us make a rental car reservation through their preferred vendor CR-Save (I don’t recommend the car company though), and they helped us communicate with the rental car company when we were having trouble contacting them during the end of our trip. This hotel was great to us, both during our stay and throughout our time in Costa Rica. We would absolutely stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2019 via mobile

Good breakfast and very great Service. I stayed a month and every day was good. It exceeded my expectations.
Front desk people and maid service was to a high standard.
You will be happy you booked Santo Tomas.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Javaman126
AdvisorHST, General Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2019

Hola Javaman, love the name! So happy we could accommodate you during the renovations of your condominium. It is a real plus having your cigar store and smoke lounge just 50 meters down the block from the hotel. I send clients there all the time that want real Cuban cigars. The ones the street vendors sell are just trash; never buy them, waste of money no matter how cheap. I did enjoy our morning chat every day over our Free breakfast, about a 6 dollar value per person across the street. It was very nice getting to know you a bit. Stop by any time for a cup of Joe with me Javaman
Thomas. Heidy and Our Staff

Reviewed July 12, 2019

Our party of 7 stayed here for 2 nights. We had 3 rooms, my daughter and her boyfriend checked in early when their flight arrived, and my husband and 3 other kids shared the other 2 rooms. The service at this hotel was superb!. My older son scratched his cornea, and we needed to see a doctor. The receptionist called ahead and got us an appointment with an opthamologist, and the owner's son-in-law who was a doctor, also agreed to take a look at his eye for us. Everything worked out fine, we ubered to the Hospital Cima, saw the doctor, and his eye cleared up in a day or two. Tomas the owner helped us set the GPS to our next destination, which was La Fortuna. The rooms have a lot of character, the pool is beautiful, and the included breakfast was delicious. There is a gate you have to pull up to, and your car is safe in the gated area. There are several restaurants and bars very close to the hotel. Highly recommend this hotel, it was fantastic!

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Momo, I am so happy that the eye was nothing too serious, a tough way to start a vacation in another country, my pleasure to assist.

Dr Alan Inman is our resident doctor, who is here 6 days a week attending to our Anti-Ageing Clinic, very handy for a reasonably priced touch-up! Most of our staff have been with us for many years and all are trained 24/7 to provide just what you stated.

A great idea is to Urber to the hotel and then allow us to assist you with your rental car, it will be delivered right to the hotels parking lot after the free breakfast. Saves, time, money and stress!

We have had many family groups over the years and I do enjoy a nice chat with everyone in the mornings. Hope the rest of your travels were exceptional but uneventful! Great review, thank you so much.

Thomas. Heidy and Staff