2 people are viewing this hotel
$56
Fully refundable before Wed, Apr 24
No booking fees
1,214 results
All reviews costa rica hot tub old house ceiling fan few blocks charming hotel heart of san jose rental car secure parking national theatre downtown area rice and beans thomas santa tours country oasis
Selected filters
Reviewed July 12, 2019 via mobile

Good breakfast and very great Service. I stayed a month and every day was good. It exceeded my expectations.
Front desk people and maid service was to a high standard.
You will be happy you booked Santo Tomas.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Javaman126
AdvisorHST, General Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2019

Hola Javaman, love the name! So happy we could accommodate you during the renovations of your condominium. It is a real plus having your cigar store and smoke lounge just 50 meters down the block from the hotel. I send clients there all the time that want real Cuban cigars. The ones the street vendors sell are just trash; never buy them, waste of money no matter how cheap. I did enjoy our morning chat every day over our Free breakfast, about a 6 dollar value per person across the street. It was very nice getting to know you a bit. Stop by any time for a cup of Joe with me Javaman
Thomas. Heidy and Our Staff

Reviewed July 12, 2019

Our party of 7 stayed here for 2 nights. We had 3 rooms, my daughter and her boyfriend checked in early when their flight arrived, and my husband and 3 other kids shared the other 2 rooms. The service at this hotel was superb!. My older son scratched his cornea, and we needed to see a doctor. The receptionist called ahead and got us an appointment with an opthamologist, and the owner's son-in-law who was a doctor, also agreed to take a look at his eye for us. Everything worked out fine, we ubered to the Hospital Cima, saw the doctor, and his eye cleared up in a day or two. Tomas the owner helped us set the GPS to our next destination, which was La Fortuna. The rooms have a lot of character, the pool is beautiful, and the included breakfast was delicious. There is a gate you have to pull up to, and your car is safe in the gated area. There are several restaurants and bars very close to the hotel. Highly recommend this hotel, it was fantastic!

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Momo, I am so happy that the eye was nothing too serious, a tough way to start a vacation in another country, my pleasure to assist.

Dr Alan Inman is our resident doctor, who is here 6 days a week attending to our Anti-Ageing Clinic, very handy for a reasonably priced touch-up! Most of our staff have been with us for many years and all are trained 24/7 to provide just what you stated.

A great idea is to Urber to the hotel and then allow us to assist you with your rental car, it will be delivered right to the hotels parking lot after the free breakfast. Saves, time, money and stress!

We have had many family groups over the years and I do enjoy a nice chat with everyone in the mornings. Hope the rest of your travels were exceptional but uneventful! Great review, thank you so much.

Thomas. Heidy and Staff

Reviewed May 29, 2019

Been to San Jose many times, and this is the only place I'd stay. Clean, good breakfasts, swimming pool, excellent gym, interesting architecture. Location a 15 minute walk to Central Avenue, and the area has supermarkets, souvenir shops, the best second-hand bookshop in Central or South America (a one-minute walk) interesting stores. All (in the low season) at around $40 a night. Best of all, a muti-lingual staff who go out of their way to help. I once (for curiosity) tried another place, but quickly zoomed back to this exceptional boutique hotel.

Room tip: First floor rooms have no window view, but accessible., Second floor have lovely views, sunlight, with public spaces for sitting, drinking.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Harolnick
AdvisorHST, General Manager at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2019

Hi Harolnick, Always lovey having you both stay with us. I am so happy that your dental work is going so well, also. We have many clients that come for all types of medical treatments. We are located only four blocks from Central avenue and most attractions are only a few minutes away. Also many of the principal bus stations are with-in walking distance as well or a short, cheap, Urber ride away.
Looking forward to seeing you both again in the near future!
Thomas Heidy and Staff

Reviewed May 17, 2019 via mobile

Great location, neighborhood feels safe and lots of good food around. Breakfast was ok, hot tub was very nice. Rooms were a bit dated and you could hear noise through the walls so bring earplugs. Friendly staff.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nadya R
AdvisorHST, Owner at Santo Tomas Hotel & Wellness Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2019

Hi Nadya, We have five different room types available and the new rooms upstairs are just a few dollars more. Our location on avenue seven is spot on for walking to most of the attractions and all tour companies pick up and drop right at the hotels front door. The original home was built in 1908. So we are only 110 years old now! Very nice posting, thank you .
Thomas , Heidy and Staff

Reviewed May 15, 2019

This is an older property and Thomas the owner has come a long way from the original Villa. A great alternative to the mass market hotels. The owner and his wife are great and we enjoyed our conversation. Omar and Jose at the front desk were extremely helpful and it was appreciated.
We were doubtful we would return until we met the owner and staff. Everyone went out of there way to help and accommodate us. The bathrooms could use a few more amenities then a small piece of soap. Rates are reasonable.
Well within walking distance of all areas of downtown. A good choice.

Room tip: Opt for an upstairs room. Quieter.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi Charles, What a nice review! Thank you. Yes, we have been doing it now for over 29 years. When I travel, I carry my own, Dove soap, and a shampoo / conditioner in one. I decided long ago that I did not want to pollute the planet with 4 to 6 thousand; yes, that is correct thousand plastic bottles every month from the hotel. In general, hotel bath items are not very good any way unless you stay in a 200 dollar a night hotel. That is why I manage the way I do. Let us Save The planet! Wonderful having you stay and thank you for returning!
Thomas , Heidy and Staff