“GORGEOUS HOTEL----Amazing staff and price”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Huntington Beach, California
“GORGEOUS HOTEL----Amazing staff and price”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My best friend and I, had been traveling through Costa Rica without having set hotel accommodations. I don't recall how we found this hotel, however, we couldn't have found a better hotel.

Hotel Santo Tomas was definitely the most gorgeous and least expensive hotel we had stayed at during our travels in Costa Rica. We were glad to have spent our last night before departing there. The architecture and designs were beautiful and detailed. The rooms were clean and of good size, property has a beautiful blue mosaic pool with a slide and jacuzzi. The staff was tremendously nice and attentive. They had a small, yet intimate and elegant restaurant onsite in which the chef made us feel like family. Breakfast was included in our price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hola Bramos1911, What a most outstanding review you have written, I just love getting all five dots ! Thank You ! Yes, we are not a cookie hotel and how nice it is that you noticed and enjoyed all of the details, its makes may staff and myself feel really good. It's a grand old home ( app. 9000 sq.ft.) built in 1908 and renovated several times and enlarged. Manuel our chef have been here many years and loves his work. Again what a most outstanding review. Warmest Regards Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Finnish first
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2014

The Hotel Santo Thomas is a hidden gem of a hotel with a private courtyard and beautiful pool area tucked into a gritty area of San Jose. We enjoyed the unique architecture with lots of detail and intricate decorations. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings.
The included “typical Costa Rican” breakfast was tasty and filling including rice and beans, eggs and toast. We had dinner one night at the hotel and were impressed with the quality and variety. The friendly and attentive service was our first introduction to the “Pura Vida” attitude that we enjoyed throughout our trip.
Prior to planning this trip, I had heard that there is not much reason for a tourist to go to San Jose and I didn’t listen… Although this was a charming and attentive hotel, the surrounding area was a bit rough and there wasn’t much to see or do downtown. We enjoyed attending Mass at the beautiful Cathedral and visiting the Gold Museum. Also the traffic getting out of town for excursions and our trip to Monteverde was a much bigger hassle than we expected. If I were planning this trip again, I would have stayed at an airport hotel for one night due to our late arrival and, then, headed directly to Monteverde. However, if I had a need to go to San Jose again, I would definitely choose Hotel Santo Thomas.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SCtoNC
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hola SCtoNC, Wonderful review and your description of the hotel is quite accurate. We strongly suggest to leave the rental car at the agency until you are ready to start your travels . Taxi or public bus in and then have it delivered here to the hotel in the morning after you have had a nice breakfast. We work with companies that do just that, saves time, stress and money . Some of the day trips are very efficient with your time as well, much more so that doing it on your own, you can see a lot in one day without stress and the cost is pretty good. We can assist with all of your tour and car rental needs. Traveling out of town is easy if you use Google maps on your smart phone. My staff and myself are also here to assist. Again a wonderful review , thank you so much, Safe Travels Thomas
Grand Forks, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights(May 6-8th,2014) The hotel is clean and the staff very helpful.
Breakfast was simple but filling. We thought the beer was too expensive, 4$ a bottle, unless you're there for happy hour. A fridge in the rooms is really needed. The meals at the restaurant were overpriced and need improvement.
The hotel is very quaint. The money exchangers at the airport really short change you so use the ones in town. The banks gave us the best rate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1travellers1
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hi 1Travlers1, Thank you for the review, yes we do have a great location. Only four blocks from central avenue, but at the top of the city , before it steeply goes down to avenue 11, a real plus if you are a bit older or have a physical problem. All money exchange services in the world at airports give a poor rate. You are paying for a service, just like having a nice quiet dinner by the swimming pool, been in the jacuzzi and not across the street in the noisy , open to the bus fumes soda or bar which is loaded with pork fat and salt , tasty yes, kosher and healthy no. Hey what can I say. Again Thank You , Thomas
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed 7 nights in Hotel Santo Tomas on our visit to Costa Rica.
Although Hotel Santo Tomas is not located in the most scenic part of San Jose, we felt safe walking around the area.
The location is in walking distance to San Jose City center.

Our upstair room was specious and clean with a TV, sitting area and a "safe" which was a night stand with a lock. The bathroom was nice with a very good shower with plenty of hot water; there is also a hair dryer and soap but no shampoo etc.

There are several very nice sitting areas, a small pool and Jacuzzi. The hotel is much nicer inside as you might think from looking at the ourside.

The hotel restaurant is in our opinion the only place which needs improvement including breakfast, we also found the choice of restaurants around Santo Tomas (not counting fast food) very limited and most close early around 8 - 8.30 pm. A mini refrigerator in the room would have been perfect!!

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful, we booked several tours through Santo Tomas and all were very good with timely pick up from the hotel.

Compared with other capitols, San Jose is not a pretty city, it lacks character but the people are very friendly. Costa Rica however is beautiful and there is much to see and explore.

ATM's are at the airport near the bagage claim, so is money exchange. A taxi from the airport to hotel Santo Tomas will cost $28-30 and can be paid in US Dollars, use the orange airport taxis.

Don't forget to pay the airport tax when you depart, $29 per person.
We also used "Costa Rican Trails" as our tour company, they were very proffesional and on time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flyingdutchmanblue
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hola Flyingdutchmanblue, Thank you for the very nice review, We were happy to have assisted you and family with some of your tour planning while here in Costa Rica. Many visitors stay in the hotel for several nights and do just what you did , taking some of the many day tours we offer. Pickup and drop off is right at the hotels front door, very convenient. The companies we work with all do a very good job. Again Thank You , Warmest Regards Thoma
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed here from 4/24/14 to 4/29/14 I had a great time the owner Thomas is very nice and helpful he lend me his personal cell phone so I can make a long distance phone call. Miguel was helpful and nice he told me about the city. Ricardo, Jose Mauricio and Eliomar were good people to talk to. The maid kept my room clean everyday with new towels and sheets. The bartender was friendly he wasn't loud when I was there I am going back probably in October

Room Tip: room 32 is a good balcony view room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Hola Emmanuel, Great meeting you and I really enjoyed our conversation about Boston, your home town! I will make sure my staff sees you comments, it's always nice when they are remembered by name. Looking forward to seeing you in Oct. Thank You so much for the excellent review, Warmest Regards Thomas
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We only stayed here one night at the end of our week long trip to La Fortuna so we would be much closer to the airport.
So yes, this place is difficult to find. There is a clearly marked sign but if you have your own car you will drive past the parking entrance gate and will have to loop around. It is always shut so you have to block traffic and wait for them to open it.
The hotel is super charming and the front desk is very helpful and very nice.
There is no air conditioning but the nights are nice and cool so all you really need is the sliding door open....and ear plugs.
Beware of a pool side room! The other guests during our stay were very loud and very obnoxious. Jumping in and out of the pool, yelling, laughing, and carrying on. Then I looked later and it was the BARTENDER trying to pick up two young women. He was the one being loud! We couldn't shut the slider because it would be too hot.
I literally needed to put in ear plugs to fall asleep.
The architecture is very beautiful and is kept very clean. The locked gates for both the hotel and parking is very assuring. I just wish I could've gotten sleep before our long trip home back to the states.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Hi nhanson, Thank you for your review. We have clear instructions on our reservations from about the parking and how it works, sorry you missed it. Great to know you found the property super charming, very clean and the front desk staff helpful and nice, very important qualities. The pool and restaurant area closes at 10 pm, not so late, sorry there was noise and I will be speaking with my bartender today about his behavior, thank you for that input. By the way, I always travel with ear plugs, just a good item to carry when you travel! Warmest Regards Thomas
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a lot but this time I was told I was given an upgrade and received a room far away in the corner. Traveling with my wife and baby I wonder if this was why? There was only one bed and I asked for two so we wouldn't be so crowded. This is my first bad experience. I hope it isn't the norm now.
This has always been a pleasant great place to stay.

Stayed May 2014
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Hi William, Thanks for being a regular guest, you having a baby has nothing to do with where we placed you . It sounds like you reserved the economy room and we gave you a free upgrade, something nice. As we have five different room types your best bet is to reserve the deluxe twin downstairs the next time. A few dollars more than the economy room, but hey the same thing happened to me when I had children and then again when they turned 12 and can't stay for free! Ouch , it does cost to raise children! Warmest regards Thomas