“Charming”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We only stayed here one night, but I would come back if I had too. The host/front desk was very friendly. He carried my girlfriends bag upstairs and let us know all that was going on (when breakfast was, etc.).

The room was small, but clean and looked great. The bed wasnt too firm nor soft, somewhere in the middle. The bathroom had a small pedestal stink with a large shower. There was a safe in the room (actually it was just a nightstand cupboard that locks. I would assume a hammer could pry it open). Outside our room was a nice little relaxing area with some sofas and chairs. Seemed like a cool place to have a cup of coffee and read.

The hotel has a restaurant on site. We went for some drinks and dinner. A little expensive for what you get, not too bad though. The food was good, nothing great, but we were tired from our flight and didnt want to venture out, and this hit the spot.

In the morning we had to leave before breakfast was ready (7am). So at 6:30am we went down and asked the waiter/service person if we could just grab a cup of coffee. He didnt have a problem with that and let us in to get a cup before we had to leave. Thought that was awesome. I need my coffee!

Nice one night experience. Nothing bad to write about. Cool little place if your not looking for anything too fancy.

Tip: The outside doesnt look like its all that when you pull up, but it gets A LOT better once your inside. I was a little scared when the driver stopped and said, here's your hotel. I was like "Seriously? Here?" But no worries, all is good once you are inside.

1  Thank Wurms
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Hi Wrums, Very nice and well written review - Thank You ! Lots of couples stay here and just chill the first there for four days, a few day trips and a long soak in the hot tub and you are ready for the rest. We assist in all types of travel arrangements , day tours, overnight Tortuguerro, rafting, car rentals, ect. and just anything you need , contact us us for assistance, it will be our pleasure. Great Review thank you again , Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed February 26, 2014

A good old hotel, reminds one of the high colonial period. The bed was old style, but comfortable. The people at the front were polite, respectful, helpful. Breakfast was tasty. The bathroom was not all that great. But still, for the price, quite a good way to start the vacation.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hola Hamfat, I would have thought you were a southern boy like me , with a TripAdviosr name like that, I love it, as Emeril the famous chef says, pork fat rules! You stayed in one of our economy rooms and they are a bit small, but as you said for the price - Hey!! I have five different room types, with different prices and room configurations and many have new bathrooms. Grab one of the new ones in the new, second floor addition located in the back of the hotel. Very nice review , Safe Travels HamFat- Thomas

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here during our week long adventure in Costa Rica back in August of 2013. After flying in and taking a shuttle to the hotel, we arrived at Santo Tomas. The check-in process was easy and we were shown to our room. The room was very spacious, and had all of our needs. The one oddity was that the bathroom had no "ceiling" and was open to the room since the room ceiling was quite high. The only issue this caused was that after a shower the steam took a bit to get out of the room, but no biggie. We quickly discovered the bar and bartender Carlos, who was excellent. He even made us dinner one night when we didn't feel like going out (and the chef wasn't available), and told us a lot about the country and city. The hotel was in a prime spot close to downtown, and we easily walked to the downtown market streets and the nearby park. Lots of stores / grocery stores / restaurants were very near by. We didn't venture out at night much, but across the street there are 2 good restaurants, and of course the mini-restaurant in the hotel. Can't forget about the full breakfast each morning either, complete with fresh fruit, gallo pinto & eggs. The hot tub was wonderful after a long day exploring the city or nearby nature exhibits. The front desk (and owner) assisted us multiple times in booking local tours, walking tours, and were generally very helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat if we come across San Jose again!

Thank you for everything Carlos, Tomas, and the rest of the staff!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms may be a little quieter, but overall you shouldn't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Buck, Man you are a great writer, super good review and you really covered all of the bases. I think perspective clients will be able to form a pretty good idea of what the place is like. Yes, you are correct our location is great for seeing the city, taking the many day tours we offer and just chilling, by the pool, long tall drink the hot tub! fantastic Review Buck, thank you so much for it. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were re-reouted last-minute through San Jose, and stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas in room 27. The hotel was easy to find, the wrought iron gates at the entrance are lovely (as opposed to what another review would have you think), and our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. There is a great restaurant down the street, the best gallery EVER - Galeria Namu - is just down the block...I just don't have anything bad to say at all. We'd go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Hi, NearlyJen, Very nice review - Thank You, We have many couples and families stay with us and enjoy the nice hot jacuzzi and pool. All of the wrought iron pieces were manufactured and imported from Italy. I did the layout and design and supervised the installation myself, something I am very proud of. Again Thank You for really seeing what it is. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Pros:
Pretty good location
Awesome pool/hot tub/bar area
Bar made great margaritas
Solid breakfast
Secure parking

Cons:
Management asks for the tips, I recommend giving the tip directly to the maid if you want them to get it.
Bedding seemed greasy/dirty
Hard to access parking

Visited Aug 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hola Beikaaa, Thank You for writing your review. Yes, our location is ideal, especially for taking the many day tours that are offered here from San Jose, we are Happy to assist with any to those arrangements, which someone may desire. Great to know that you enjoyed our Happy Hours from 3 to 7 with Adrian the bartender. Nothing like a tall, cold tropical drink in the jacuzzi ! Solid breakfast is just what it is , something to get the day started, thank you for that and it is Free. The parking is secure and way cheaper than any other lots in San Jose. In reference to your comment about the sheets, we change them every day, you may have had one of the older sets, which have now been replaced, since your visit of last August. I apologize for that. I am constantly replacing pillows, sheets, blankets and bedspreads. We urge any client to call front desk right away if any thing is not up to par. Again Thank You for your review , Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited San José, Costa Rica in October 2013 for the first time. I found the Hotel Santo Tomas through Expedia and Orbitz. The hotel is centrally located near down town and is conveniently near the park, restaurants, shopping, businesses and the mall. It's about a five minute walk from the clubs and night life. The hotel is very safe with a security gate, is extremely clean, is quiet, has free delicious hot cooked breakfast, Wi-Fi, fitness center, jacuzzi, a swimming pool and a free Internet center.

The staff are professional, cordial, helpful and are bilingual. They happily assisted me with helpful recommendations of local restaurants and the scenic city tours. The owner is Thomas Douglas. I've traveled world-wide and have not met any business entrepreneur who is as knowledgeable, smart, personable, humorous, and sincere as is this owner. I visited San José for my birthday and the owner graciously upgraded my room for a larger, luxury room as a courtesy on my birthday! I accidentally damaged my reading glasses and he repaired the glasses with a smile. I will return to San José and Hotel Santo Tomas is my hotel of choice. I highly recommend this hotel to singles, couples and family visitors.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have the best Wi-Fi and have the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Eugene C

Hi Eugene C. Hey I remember you , the glasses! My pleasure to assist and I am glad you had a Happy Birthday in the Hotel Santo Tomas. Most oust anding review, totally stands for itself. Thank You very much Thomas

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The owner, Thomas Douglas, has done a great job developing this hotel just blocks from the absolute center of San Jose. And he has kept the cost very reasonable considering the quality of the accommodations. We had a room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the lovely pool and jacuzzi and out over the city and up to the mountains. Yes, we had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to our room, but it was entirely worthwhile for the feeling of space and the view it afforded us. The breakfast was only fair, I would say. The staff were great, very helpful and informative. And Mr. Douglas, if you have a chance to meet him, is quite an entertaining character.

Room Tip: If you're comfortable climbing a couple flights of stairs, I'd definitely choose one of the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hola SeniorTraveler, Yes, nice views from our balcony rooms and hey, whats wrong with a flight of stairs! Don't over pack that bag to start with any way. Breakfast is free and is designed to get your day started, it is not promoted as an all you can eat buffet. Two Fresh made juices, small fruit plate, toast, jam, eggs cooked to order, gallo pinto ( A local Costa Rican dish) great spices to liven it up and fresh brewed Costa Rica coffee or Tea for Free , not toooo shabby! An $8.00 dollar value across the street.
Nice Review, Thank You , Warmest Regards Thomas