“Good location and great pool area, not sure how often bedding is washed”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
New York City, New York
“Good location and great pool area, not sure how often bedding is washed”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Pros:
Pretty good location
Awesome pool/hot tub/bar area
Bar made great margaritas
Solid breakfast
Secure parking

Cons:
Management asks for the tips, I recommend giving the tip directly to the maid if you want them to get it.
Bedding seemed greasy/dirty
Hard to access parking

Visited Aug 2013

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hola Beikaaa, Thank You for writing your review. Yes, our location is ideal, especially for taking the many day tours that are offered here from San Jose, we are Happy to assist with any to those arrangements, which someone may desire. Great to know that you enjoyed our Happy Hours from 3 to 7 with Adrian the bartender. Nothing like a tall, cold tropical drink in the jacuzzi ! Solid breakfast is just what it is , something to get the day started, thank you for that and it is Free. The parking is secure and way cheaper than any other lots in San Jose. In reference to your comment about the sheets, we change them every day, you may have had one of the older sets, which have now been replaced, since your visit of last August. I apologize for that. I am constantly replacing pillows, sheets, blankets and bedspreads. We urge any client to call front desk right away if any thing is not up to par. Again Thank You for your review , Warmest Regards Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Finnish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited San José, Costa Rica in October 2013 for the first time. I found the Hotel Santo Tomas through Expedia and Orbitz. The hotel is centrally located near down town and is conveniently near the park, restaurants, shopping, businesses and the mall. It's about a five minute walk from the clubs and night life. The hotel is very safe with a security gate, is extremely clean, is quiet, has free delicious hot cooked breakfast, Wi-Fi, fitness center, jacuzzi, a swimming pool and a free Internet center.

The staff are professional, cordial, helpful and are bilingual. They happily assisted me with helpful recommendations of local restaurants and the scenic city tours. The owner is Thomas Douglas. I've traveled world-wide and have not met any business entrepreneur who is as knowledgeable, smart, personable, humorous, and sincere as is this owner. I visited San José for my birthday and the owner graciously upgraded my room for a larger, luxury room as a courtesy on my birthday! I accidentally damaged my reading glasses and he repaired the glasses with a smile. I will return to San José and Hotel Santo Tomas is my hotel of choice. I highly recommend this hotel to singles, couples and family visitors.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have the best Wi-Fi and have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Eugene C
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi Eugene C. Hey I remember you , the glasses! My pleasure to assist and I am glad you had a Happy Birthday in the Hotel Santo Tomas. Most oust anding review, totally stands for itself. Thank You very much Thomas
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The owner, Thomas Douglas, has done a great job developing this hotel just blocks from the absolute center of San Jose. And he has kept the cost very reasonable considering the quality of the accommodations. We had a room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the lovely pool and jacuzzi and out over the city and up to the mountains. Yes, we had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to our room, but it was entirely worthwhile for the feeling of space and the view it afforded us. The breakfast was only fair, I would say. The staff were great, very helpful and informative. And Mr. Douglas, if you have a chance to meet him, is quite an entertaining character.

Room Tip: If you're comfortable climbing a couple flights of stairs, I'd definitely choose one of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hola SeniorTraveler, Yes, nice views from our balcony rooms and hey, whats wrong with a flight of stairs! Don't over pack that bag to start with any way. Breakfast is free and is designed to get your day started, it is not promoted as an all you can eat buffet. Two Fresh made juices, small fruit plate, toast, jam, eggs cooked to order, gallo pinto ( A local Costa Rican dish) great spices to liven it up and fresh brewed Costa Rica coffee or Tea for Free , not toooo shabby! An $8.00 dollar value across the street.
Nice Review, Thank You , Warmest Regards Thomas
South Carolina
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel when we first arrived while we got a feel for the area. They were extremely helpful in arranging tours. Before checking out we had an entire week planned. We ate at their restaurant our first evening, it was ok at best.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi JDinSC, Great to know that we were able to plan all of your travels for you while here in Costa Rica. Many times we suggest full travel plans and assist in arranging rental cars ( delivered to the hotel parking lot ! ) and all other day tours, right from the hotels front door!. I personally assist in doing this and have been active in it for the past 24 years. I apologize you were ok with our hotel restaurant , I do wish you had given me more precise details, it would assist me greatly to improve the dining experience. Safe Travels Thomas
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great staff. Decent rooms. Good price. The location is very handy. Parking is available at the hotel stop outside when you arrive and run in and they will open it for you. Hotel owner is great and friendly!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hola EcoGemma, Great having you stay and chat with you in the morning at the breakfast area. Yes that is correct the parking door is located before the restaurant and is a big roll-up silver door. Have your travel companion run in to sign in, while you wait in the car and then the rest is easy ! We also advise if you are arriving in country to taxi or public bus in from the airport and have your rental car delivered to the hotel parking lot the next morning after breakfast. Take care of the paper work and off you go, lots less stress, cost and hassle. We work with companies that do just this. I also have five different room types to fit different needs and budgets. Best Prices on our hotel web site, book direct and save !
Again Thank You so much . Warmest Regards
Thomas
Cartago, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Good Staff, speak English and the rooms are clean. Good service the kids loved the hot tub. Cost of taxis were cheep through the hotel. This hotel is good for older couples, newly wed couples, singles or family with kids.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Gregory, thank you for the kind words and great review. I know that you travel the world as an oil company respresentive and I really appreciate you selecting Hotel Santo Tomas as your San Jose hotel. My staff is more than happy to assist with taxis, day tours, car rentals or just about anything that we can do to assist. Clean rooms and reliable good service by my staff is really important to me. I will be sure they all see your fine review. Thank You Gregory! Safe Travels Thomas
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I am not someone that put review often or try to destroy an hotel reputation ! nothing is perfect in life but I want to mention something about this hotel that happen when I was there.I decided to do a break in my life and travel on my own to Costa rica and other place .I stayed at Hotel Santo tomas and I have friend that live In San Jose who came to visit me at the hotel during my stay! (Chimist professor at The university of San Jose)
When my friend arrived at the hotel around 4 pm in the afternnon I welcome him at the lobby to have a drink at the pool .Well guess what ! The front desk a front of people who were at the lobby look at me and said well if you want to have your friend come to the hotel you will have to show me an ID and paid $15 up front or it will have to stay at lobby ! I was in choke and said to him what its this policy? He responded to me that was the policy of the hotel ! I felt so embrassed a front of my friend and for me it was almost saying to me if you want to bring a hooker you have to paid ! I got so upstet that the next day I ask to talk with the owner of the hotel !
Well he responded to me that it's the policy of the hotel for security reason so I responded to him but you are already taking the ID of the person so why ask for $15 ? Its response was its the rules of the hotel and if you are not happy you can leave! thing that I did !
Well I can said that this hotel in my entire trip was the worst experience I had and the only thing they want its your money!
You have sign on the wall saying tips for carrying the lugggage ,Envelope in the room for the front desk ,for the housekeeper ..and not $15 to bring friend over at 4 pm .
Shame on you for embarrassing my Ticos friend .You are a $ digger and an embarrassement for the beautiful peope of Costa rica and their land.
And any web site or policy of your hotel its mention that you have to pay to bring a friend !
Shame ! Shame and Shame

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank manusobe
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hi Manusobe, First let me say that I am not ashamed of my hotel policy and or how I managed the situation with you. As I very patiently explained to you for quite some time, we don’t allow non registered persons in a guest’s hotel room for security reasons. In the past, my hotel and as most likely every hotel in San Jose has had clients robbed by ( friends in San Jose ) . Period it is that simple. The fee is to cover the Free Breakfast that is served in the morning if your friend spends the night. Yes, I do have signs asking to Please Tip for Bell Hop Service and the tip envelopes are in the rooms on the dresser. One is for the cleaning staff and one is for the Front Desk staff. These monies don’t belong to the hotel. It ALL gets divided equally amongst the staff once a month and helps supplement their salary and keeps all my staff working together as a team. If you ask my front desk staff to carry YOUR BAGS up the stairs and to your room, you should show your appreciation. No one has to tip for anything, I just find that sometimes clients are too cheap and abuse the wonderful kind people of Costa Rica, so a little bit of raising social conscious is a good thing. And yes after a long time of trying to explain to you the reasons for the policies, I finally suggested that if you were not happy to leave. Which you did and I did not charge you any early check out penalty. Most likely if I had spoken French, it may have been easier. You then threaten to post a bad review on Trip Advisor and here it is. I think that is called intimidation or something much worse, when a client pulls the Trip Advisor card. I must have standard policies for my staff to follow and as hundreds of previous reviews show we do a good job. I apologize we could not make you happy. Thomas