Hotel Santo Tomas
$89
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$81
$113
$94
$135
$84
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose(San Jose)
$190
Hotels.com
1,033 results
All reviewscosta ricahot tubbalcony roomrecommend hoteltile floorssmall poolhotel ownerwithin easy walking distancean oasisceiling fanfew blocksold mansioncentral marketheart of san josefelt safehome basehotel is centrally located
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were visiting Costa Rica for the first time to learn to surf when my wife suddenly fell seriously ill. After an emergency air-lift and surgery, we needed to find a place to stay for a few days to recuperate. I came across Hotel Santo Tomas and I am very glad we decided to stay with them. We immediately felt welcomed by all the staff and I knew we were in good hands. I met with the owner, Thomas, at breakfast the next morning and it was as if we had been close friends for years. He clearly treats his staff well and expects them to do whatever they can to make us comfortable because everything they did for us was done effortlessly, with confidence and without a hint of 'policies and procedures'.

The hotel itself is truly an oasis in the middle of hectic downtown San Jose. From the street, you have no idea of what awaits you inside the gates. Each room is a unique testament to the design vision of the owner and his attention to detail. They are so proud of each room that they leave the doors of unoccupied rooms open so you can explore the many polished hallways and let your imagination draw you in. I spend one evening catching up on my email sitting in a covered, open-air lounge raised above the fully equipped exercise room. The WiFi is strong throughout the hotel so you can pick your favorite spot to sit and listen to the waterfall or feel the cool evening breezes.

This was two days I will never forget. Thank you Thomas and your wonderful staff for turning a very unpleasant situation into a wonderful lesson in how good humanity can really be.

Room Tip: All rooms have unique charm
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael H
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hi Michael. I am so happy you had a happy ending to your ordeal, that is the worst , when someone gets sick during travels. What you described is what we have been doing for over 23 years here. I love what I do and feel as if I am an ambassador of good will for the country . Costa Rica has been very good to me and my family and is a wonderful place to be. Great review you have written and I genuinely appreciate it. I hope you learned to SURF !!! Always Safe Travels Thomas

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hotel Santo Tomas was an excellent hotel given it's location. The staff went above and beyond to help me while I was there, going so far as to keep a personal possession safe for a week until I could return. One manager even came in on his day off to deliver it to me. It was very much appreciated. That being said, just understand that downtown San Jose is not a good neighborhood by any definition. However, if you do want to experience it, Santo Tomas is a great choice.

• Stayed: October 2013

Hi Dshaw, yep we have had many guests that leave their IPads, cell phones, keys to their life, along with CASH and just an unbelievable amount of items in the hotel over the years. We always try to make sure these items are returned. It was our pleasure to assist you. Don Eliomar: I wish to give him a personal Thank You from me as well for the great service he rendered to you. San Jose for first time international traveler or non Spanish speakers can be a different, hey it is Latin America, that is why people come, to have a new experience. There are many beautiful parks, museums, pedestrian walk streets and just lots to see and do here in vibrant San Jose, many travelers really enjoy it. Again Thank You for the nice review ! Thomas

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Old world mansion refurbished to maintain it's charm while providing all the modern conveniences.
Safe, clean, friendly staff, location and reasonable rates makes it my favorite hotel in San Jose. I stay there everytime I am in town (4 -5 times a year)

Room Tip: Balcony over the pool is my favorite, but there a number of different rooms offering different rates. You will find your own paradise at the San Tomas!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Carroll C

Hola Carol, Outstanding, short, concise and very well presented , thank you very much ! This is a great guide for prospective guests and I really appreciate you always returning to stay with us. Warmest Regards Tomas

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was really well looked after in this hotel and it is located in lovely Barrio Amon. The owner takes time to welcome you and have a chat making sure that you have everything you need. I was too tired to go out for dinner and went to the restaurant in the hotel. I picked something from their menu but made lots of changes to, which they accommodated with no problems and delivered to my room.

Room Tip: I was staying in one of the old rooms and it has everything you need, they are just not very modern. I believe though that most rooms have been updated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MonicaCeDu

Hi Monica, Very nice review , than you so much. We have many single females stay with us , for dental work, day tours, ect. : they feel very safe here because of the friendly , personalized service we offer. You stayed in one of the original rooms, which are located in the main home. A historical , registered property, that's called character ! A great bargain at $52.00 US including a Free Hot Cooked Breakfast and Wi-Fi. My new section upstairs for a few dollars more are very nice , especially the twin rooms. Great to have you stay, hope you return again. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed October 6, 2013

the staff was excellent, even the owner welcome us and asked if he could do anyrhing else for us.ricardo was great help in giving us directions and advise.would deffinately stay there again and recomend my friends

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Hi Maria, lots of couples stay here and enjoy the happy hours ( 3 to 7) and jacuzzi. Great to know you will return and send your friends. All of my staff is trained to assist 24/7 in Car rental , tours or just anything you many need. It's always our pleasure to assist !
Safe travels Thomas