“Lovely haven in the capital”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Attentive, well-informed and helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms, great food and fun pool; what else could you ask for? Great for English-speaking travelers looking for a place to stay in the city, or a jumping-off point for tours around the country. Close to the central market, zoo, children's museum. The street it is on looks sketchy, but it perfectly fine. We traveled with our six-year-old daughter and never felt nervous.

Room Tip: Try a room off of the main second-floor lounge; it can get noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hi Eric, wonderful having you and your family here and I am happy everyone enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi and other areas we offer. Avenue 7 does look sketchy at first to persons not used to Latin American , but as you said it is fine. Great review thank you so much! Thomas Please come again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Santo Tomas

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here twice during my trip, once in a larger room with my daughter and once in a smaller room alone. Both rooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The location is good--central and close to sights. I would definitely stay there again. The Colombian restaurant across the street is a plus.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Howdy N W , Thanks for staying twice , that's a good sign. Next time I hope you will give my restaurant a try , The Oasis, located by the pool. We serve healthy , nice sized portions at a fair price. Low in salt and nothing fried unless you order it. We also prepare special plates for our clients having dental work done. That is not what sodas serve most of the time. They use pork lard and lots of salt , taste great. but bad for the ticker. You also missed our happy hours with Carlos in the restaurant, next time maybe. Cheers Thomas

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed two nights in Santo Tomas hotel. I enjoyed the beautiful historical building with the nice tiles, furniture, antique aspect. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The hotel is making a good use of its space .The staff is friendly. I had dinner once and the food was good. (The restaurant is unfortunately closed on Mondays ). The location enables to walk easily to the various museums, shopping streets,...However, walking at night is not recommended around the hotel.
I was able to leave my backpack for several days at the hotel while traveling to another region of Costa Rica. I appreciated very much that service.
Good experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for the Handicapped room: it is more spacious than the others.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Anne, Lovely review you have written , Thank You so much for it. Your descriptions are spot on and I am glad you found a place to unwind and relax at the start of your trip. We offer free secure, baggage storage for our guests and many use the service. There are many different types of rooms to fit many budgets , I suggest don't be cheap and do like you and go for a nice room, it's only a few bucks more and worth it ! I hope you can come again please: Thomas

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was there July 23/13. It was clean, safe and in a good location. However, the WiFi doesn't work in all areas, which is frustrating. I noticed right away that it kept struggling to connect in my room and couldn't stay connected for more than a few seconds when it did connect. I went to reception and was told that WiFi has had issues there for a while. I managed to get it to work near the pool (as per reception's advice) but as I informed him...I needed privacy. Anyways, that and a bit of a smaller breakfast portion made for an 'ok' review vs. a good review.
The owner came by the next day and I informed him of this concern, and he said he wasn't aware of it but that he'd look into it.
If you're not in need of guaranteed WiFi in your room or a completely filling breakfast, then no worries.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hi H B, The Wi-Fi was troublesome for three days. I apologize you were there at that time. After you told me about it, I set right away to find the problem and it took me that long to solve the issue. I have four different routers in the property and a 10 mega speed. One of my routers was not entirely bad , so it was difficult to pin point . It has been changed and everything is back up to speed. Everyone else did just fine with the other three access points. The Free hot cooked breakfast is not advertised as a buffet. It consist of fresh coffee, tea, two fresh made juices, toast, jam, eggs cooked to order , gallo pinto ( local Costa Rican dish ) a small fruit plate along with sauces and spices to season. NOT TOO BAD FOR FREE !! Toss in a room for $52.00 and it's a great deal. Thanks a lot for the review. Tomas

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked this Hotel due to good reviews. I was very pleased with this choice. There was a misunderstanding on the reservation for the first night but they were able to accomodate us for one night. We left to tour the country and came back to depart from San Jose. The second time the room was downstairs, room #1, which was too noisy, our first room was upstairs and it was wonderful!! The staff is welcoming and very nice. I must say that Thomas the owner has this place running like a Hotel should be run, everything is so welcoming and very clean; the ambience is like being in grandmom's home, relaxing and peaceful. One nice note is that the owner, Thomas, greeds hs guest in the morning and afternoon, which is very refreshing. This Hotel won my heart.

Room Tip: Email Hotel after online reservation. Make sure you choose the right type of accomodations. This Hot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Shout out to Houston ! Won your heart, nice that makes it all worth while. Who doesn't like grandma's home. Your review is fantastic and I genuinely thank you . We'll just keep on trying to make it happen. Please come back to visit again. Safe Travels Thomas

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My friend and I were really impressed, we were made to feel really welcome by Mauricio on the front desk as soon we walked in and he then helped us over the 2 days we stayed there, with a tour booking and with general information. The hotel is in a good, central location, minutes walk from the city centre but it's very safe as the building has security gates and is a peaceful little haven amongst the hustle of SJ.
Our room had 2 huge queen beds, lots of space and a big bathroom with large walk in shower. Its was excellent value for money and located on the first floor. The little garden and the breakfast/restaurant area was a great place to get fresh air whilst eating the delicious breakfast. All of the staff were friendly and the place was spotless.
You would be very happy staying here compared to a corporate, chain hotel with no personal touches.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Louise, Very nice review and I am happy we could help you relax and recharge at the start of your trip. Clean is something many clients mention. Lots of guests, especially Europeans stay three days or more at the beginning , just to adjust, take a day tour or two and use our information services for planning and arranging travels for the rest of their trip. All of the info overload on the Internet can be over whelming and a person may only need a little bit of guidance to make a big different in their travel experience, something we love to help do, just ask. Your description is outstanding and very pleasant. Thank You very much for the kind words. Thomas

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had to make a fast hotel reservation on a Saturday night for a Sunday night stay. We had no knowledge of the area. But, what luck we had to choose Hotel Santo Tomas.
The decor was welcoming. And everything from floor to ceiling was spic and span. We still have no idea how they keep the ceilings so white.
The staff was attentive and helpful. The drinks and food were excellent.
This is a fine oasis in the middle of an interesting part of San Jose.
I would have no reservations recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike R

Hola Mike, Love your title, speaks volumes about the hotel . Thank You ! Spic and span, I got the genie in the bottle hidden in a closed and he comes out at night to clean. I will be extra sure my cleaning staff sees your comments. Fantastic we could please you , please come again. Thomas