“Better every time”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times, the last in May, 2013. When I return, they greet me as tho' I'd never left. Thomas and the staff (Miguel and Ricardo, especially) care for the hotel like it is their home, and treat the guests like they were guests in their home. It is spotless clean, a delightful pool, and well situated.

I will always stay here when I'm in San Jose. What a great place!

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking the pool are my favorite rooms (#25, 26, 27)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FranW17
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Hola Fran, Wonderful that you continue to return and I thank you for the kind words about Miguel and Ricardo, I will make sure they read your review. All of those new rooms upstairs are nice and we know that spotless clean is about the number one item on the list ! Toss in the Free Hot cooked Breakfast and Fast Free Wi-Fi and hey, ! That just about wraps it up. Again Thank You for your kind words. Safe Travels Thomas

There are newer reviews for Hotel Santo Tomas

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We just needed a place to stay the night before our flight to the US. We arrive in SJ around 3 and I was relieved to find this wonderful hotel. The rooms were very big, clean, and classy. The staff was professional and helpful. The price was great. The area is very lively and seemed safe compared to what I had read about San jOse before arriving. There was a bar across the street owned by a guy from Chicago with cheap Pilsen. If we go back to SJ we will stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dcal254
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Hi Dcal254, Hey I like that word wonderful you used for the hotel Thank You! You were in one of our Deluxe Plus rooms , 12 or 15 foot high ceilings and either mahogany or hand made mosaic tile floors , that must be the classy part. Toss in the free hot cooked breakfast, jacuzzi, pool, happy hours and the fast free WI-Fi and clients go away happy . Please come again. Thank You so much Thomas

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great location within a few blocks of downtown business center. Pretty setting inside with cool lounge areas and pretty pool, although hot tub was not hot. Staff was very helpful. All in all great value option.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Hola to Washington DC here from Thomas in Costa Rica! Wonderful you found the location great, we are on Avenue 7 , just four blocks from Central Avenue and right before San Jose steeply goes down hill to the river Torres. This is really important if you are movement limited or a senior person with any health concerns. No fun walking up that steep hill in this hot tropical sun! Thanks so much for your concise and positive review, especially the part about ( Great Value Option ) I see you booked directly from our web site for that best price.
I have inspected the hot tub and it appears some one was messing around with the timer. I have placed signs in two different ares to not touch and readjusted the timer schedule . Thank you for that information, it helps to make us do a better job. Hope you return in the not too distant future and try the Hot tub again ! Safe Travels Thomas

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas about 5 times now, occupying rooms on the lower floor on each visit. On our most recent 2-night stay, we were in Room #1 which was spacious and comfortable. We also found this room quiet and well adapted to my husband's limited mobility needs. The beds were comfortable and cozy with very nice linens. The ceiling fan speed is adjustable by a switch between the beds, and there were not just one, but TWO, reading lights on each side of the 2 beds. There is hard-wire internet access available in the room, but I found the Wi-Fi speed to actually be faster, with a good strong signal (at least for my laptop - my husband's tablet was less successful at connecting to the internet, but it's not a great tablet anyway.)

We live in Costa Rica, but we find the location of this hotel to be very convenient for us when we need an in-town place to stay, especially when we need to be somewhere early in the morning. It's easy to step out front and get a taxi to wherever you need to go, or the front desk will arrange for a taxi to be there at an appointed time. (This is what we asked for this time and it worked out great.) We continue to see friendly, familiar faces from visit to visit, implying to me that it's a stable business that treat its people well.

Side note: now that San Jose has recently installed street signs on corners, it's easier for taxi drivers to find the hotel on Avenida Tres!

Room Tip: I wouldn't advise this hotel for wheelchair-bound guests - too many steps.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Hi Connie, We have many local clients that stay with us and do exactly what you did. Wonderful that you are a repeat client, I genuinely appreciate that, Thank You ! You are correct we have five different room types to fit most clients needs and price range. They are all nicely explained and best priced on the hotel's web site and you receive an instant confirmation for your reservations from our live system. I have installed great wireless Internet service through out the hotel with four different routers and signal boosters. This along with the Free Hot Cooked Breakfast is something most clients really want. Hope to see you both again soon. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here for one night on my way to other parts of the country and was perfectly satisfied with the service/amenities. This hotel is a fine place to stay if you're in San Jose for a night or two. I appreciated the email with instructions on how to get there a day before my stay because I got in very late at night. The man at reception (I forget his name- sorry!) was very helpful in making sure I knew where to go the next morning to catch a bus to Monteverde and had arranged for a taxi to pick me up at 5:45am.

The rate is reasonable for what you get (I think I paid $60 total) and it was a fine place to sleep for a night. I didn't get to eat breakfast there, and I also didn't get to even see the pool, but I did see that there was a basic workout room which I'd have definitely used had I been there for longer. It's not a high-end hotel, but it had pretty much everything I could have needed for a night! My one (minor) complaint is that the room didn't have much charm/deco and the whole hotel felt a bit "abandoned," but the second thing probably had more to do with the fact that I was there during the low season and thus there weren't many people there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

HI Danielle, Perfectly Fine ! Hey I think most clients would be happy with that. Glad we were able to assist you with your travel needs. You were in one of our Economy rooms and hopefully the next time if you return, I suggest one of our new rooms upstairs, the Superior Plus is a nice value also. The hotel is app. 15000 sq. feet, yes that is correct fifteen thousand and this does not include the pool/ restaurant and parking area. ! There are around 50 guests plus 10 staff members on average in the hotel at all times. It's just that the way the property is laid out, what with all of it's nooks and unique design, you won't run into large groups of people. Unless you go to breakfast from 7 to 9 am, you won't see many people at once. Everyone is going on tours, walking around or sitting in one of the different areas we have to enjoy the views and property. Hopefully you will return and give me a chance to let you really see and enjoy what other clients write about. Thank you so much for your review . Thomas

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Thomas the owner emailed me back within about an hour of inquiring about a room for the next night.. Not only that but it was pretty late the night before. Anyways he got us in and made everything very easy! Big rooms and great location.

• Stayed: May 2013
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hi Adam, my pleasure to assist you , yours was a last minute inquiry and I know how important it is to have quick answers for last minute travel decisions. It's great you stayed in one of our Deluxe Plus or Superior Plus rooms upstairs, a few dollars more than our economy room, but worth it , great rooms at a great value. Thank you so much for your recommendation about the location, we are just 4 blocks from Central Avenue , the heart of San Jose and an easy walk to all sights. Wonderful you had a great time here in the Santo Tomas. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Deciding to stay at Hotel Santo Tomas while in Costa Rica for dental work was a solid choice. Although traveling alone, I was never lonely as there were always nice people around the pool/restaurant area who were happy to share their travel experiences. During my two stays, I conversed and dined with folks from all over the world, and the diversity of the guests was just one of the highlights of my visits.

The staff is simply awesome and readily available to assist in any way possible. Owner Tomas mingles with the guests at breakfast, and Carlos is not only is the nicest waiter you could ever ask for, but he also makes some awesome frozen rum concoctions!! Breakfast (a choice of three options, all of which include wonderful Costa Rican coffee, fresh fruit and local juices) was very good, fresh, and served promptly. I was never at the hotel for lunch, but every dinner meal I had was outstanding in taste and presentation. Plus, they were more than willing to accommodate special requests related to my dental work.

As for the rooms, although somewhat dated, they are exceptionally clean and offer all the conveniences one would expect from a much more expensive hotel -- free breakfast, flat screen Sony television, free WiFi, refurbished bathroom, ceiling fan, beautiful tiled floors with area rugs, and a super comfy bed!! While there is no air conditioning, the high ceilings, fans, and placement of the windows made for an extremely comfortable temperature throughout the day and night. The lobby areas are beautiful with wood molding, high ceilings and tile floors, and the place is full of charming nooks & crannies, fountains, balconies, and sitting areas for those times when you want to sit back and enjoy the hotel's ambience.

In terms of convenience, Hotel Santo Tomas is centrally located. As a woman traveling alone, I never felt the least bit unsafe or uncomfortable when walking throughout the neighborhood. My only regret was that there was no supermarket close by. Other than that small inconvenience, I would wholeheartedly recommend Hotel Santo Tomas to anyone looking for a great hotel at a reasonable price. Rest assured, between the staff and the quaintness of the hotel, you'll have found the ultimate home away from home!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Krdragonfly

HI Krdragonfly, Wonderful review , Thank You ! We have many many single female travelers and medical patients that stay with us. Just a note there is a large supermarket just two blocks south on calle 3 , you must have just missed it , it is called Automercado, next time. Our original rooms are just a bit dated , they are 105 years young. But as you stated , clean, renovated bathrooms, flat panel TV and free wireless- so not tooo dated just the hand made mosaic tile floor ! Again thank you for the outstanding review and I am Happy you had a great travel experience while here at the Hotel Santo Tomas. Warmest Regards Thomas