“Absolutely wonderful place to stay”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am a 63 year,old female who would be travelling alone to San Jose for dental work. I was looking for an affordable central hotel and came across the Hotel Santo Tomas. I read all the reviews on trip advisor and decided to book my 8 night stay there. I immediately received a confirmation from the owner Tomas along with some information on Taxis and coming in from the airport.

Absolutely everyone who works at this hotel were friendly, kind, and went out of their way to accommodate their guests.

Every morning at breakfast, Tomas, the owner of the hotel would come down and visit with each guest. He would answer any questions you might have about the country and sightseeing. He had time for all of his guests and made everyone feel at home. I guess that's the way I could describe this hotel, it was like being at home.

My day would not be complete without my visit with Omar who worked at reception. He always gave me a warm handshake and we would sit for a few minutes while I learned Spanish and he learned English.

After my dental surgery everyone was so helpful. Manuel made me soft food to eat, Carlos the Bartender made me fresh fruit freezie drinks and the rest of the staff would make sure I always had ice at hand.

The accommodation itself is very very nice. The beds are very comfortable and my sheets were fresh cotton. Each room has a new Sony flat screen TV. There is also a ceiling fan in each room. No air conditioning required. The bathroom had a huge shower and the cleanliness of the room was superb. Remember folks this is not the Hilton, and thank goodness for that. This is the real San Jose.

So to everyone at the Hotel, from the owner to all of his staff, I want to say thank you for the most enjoyable, comfortable stay I have ever had throughout my travels.

See you all in the fall.....

1  Thank Jane R
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

HI Jane, WOW , what can I say except a big Thank You ! Wonderful to know you ( Felt Like Home ) That is what we are striving for every day with each and every client. I love what I do and presenting some thing that is a truly San Jose, Costa Rica experience is my pleasure. The original home ( 9000 sq.ft.) was built in 1908 and is a registered historical landmark property. For travelers that want a taste of old colonial Costa Rica , this is the place. Again Thank you and see you in the fall. Thomas

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed there one night before we left next morning to the airport. The pool and bar area are surprisingly nice - remember you are very close to the center of San Jose. The room was small and a little bit dark, but shower and room itself are clean and really ok for one night.
In my opinion San Jose is not a "must" site to be visited. Hence, the next time I would select for accomodation closer to the airport or a coffee plantation with accomodition on the nearby hills.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael S
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Hi Michael, ( The pool and bar area are surprisingly nice- remember you are very close to the center of San Jose) Yes we are one of the only hotels in downtown and the only one in this price range that offers all of the amenities that we do. When I designed the garden areas, covered and open terraces , I left space just for that reason and did not fill up the entire property with rooms. I want this to ( (Feel Like Home) everyone sits around tells stories about their travels and adventures and many many friendships have been started here in Hotel Santo Tomas. Also your comment about the hotel being a “Good value for your money” is something most customers are looking for in these days of tight money. Thank you very much Michael . Hope to see you again in San Jose , Thomas

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is exactly what I had hoped for when booking my first trip to Costa Rica. After reading reviews and viewing pictures I decided to book a more authentic hotel and am so happy I did!! Maurecio one of the hotel employees was so helpful and kind. I appreciated his interest in our activities of each day. The entire staff was amazing. It was nice to share our experiences and get advice. I never felt unsafe in the area despite some of the other reviews. The owner was at breakfast every day I was there and there was plenty of delicious fruit, coffee, eggs, toast, and black beans and rice! The rooms are clean and spacious. The history of the building has been maintained and is beautiful! I will never stay anywhere else in San Jose. All the tours we booked picked us up from Santo Tomas and it is a 5 min walk to Central Ave and most of the parks and museums. Carlos is the night time bartender and server and makes the most perfect drinks – pina colada and coffees were my drinks of choice. Sipping a cocktail by the pool after a day of adventure. This hotel is perfect! Thank you Hotel Santo Tomas - I will be back soon.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a balcony room! It was one of the best upgrades I have made in my travels (all have a p...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Hola Brooke ! WOW Is all I can say about your great review and kind words. Your title along with all of the details you mentioned are just what we are always striving for. Your are correct the upstairs balcony view rooms along with the other new ones for just a few dollars more are really worth it. Thank You especially for that comment. I also really appreciate the positive feed back about the breakfast. Whats also interesting to me are that clients who book our cheapest rooms at around $58.00 for two including the free breakfast are the ones that make negative comments about the free breakfast- go figure ! Great to know that you enjoyed the fantastic drinks made by Carlos at Happy Hour from 4 to 7 pm and most likely in the Jacuzzi ! Again Thank You Brooke and looking forward to your return. Safe Travels Thomas

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I spent the last few days of my vacation at Santo Tomas. The place was great. Tomas was a big help. Mauricio was terrific great stories about San Jose. The staff was exceptional. I'm going back next year. The people I met in the hotel were very nice. My stomach got a little crazy and the showed me the nearest farmacia. All in all a very positive experience. Very comfortable, very safe, good location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hi Tmac1949 ! Thanks so much for posting your review and I will be sure Mauricio sees your positive comments about his service. It's always great for my staff to be mentioned.
Wonderful to know that we finished off your Costa Rica vacation on high note. Your comments about comfortable and very safe is really important. With respect to the location , we are only four blocks from central avenue and you don't have to climb any hills, a real plus for our senior clients and or anyone that has medical problems walking ! Safe Return to Costa Rica next year and again Thank You - Thomas

Reviewed April 17, 2013

we always stay at Hotel Santo Tomas when passing through san jose: the hotel is in a good central location and the premises are safe, clean and well equipped. the staff is always friendly and very accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hola Smashley12- from Toronto/Samara, Hey you've got the best of two wonderful places in the world. I genuinely appreciate you being a repeat customer and nothing speaks higher than a recommendation by a single female in reference to the hotel being , Safe, Clean, well equipped along with friendly and accommodating staff. That is exactly what we are supposed to be doing. I'll be thanking you in person in the breakfast area upon your next visit. Please tell me it is you as I can't tell from your Trip Advisor ID. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The property itself, looks to have been at one point a private residence, the rooms are quite large with very high ceilings with large comfortable beds. The room fixtures were in good repair, however the tiled floor was showing its age. The Wifi signal in the room was good, although somewhat unstable near the pool area. As we arrived late in the evening and had no place to go, were won over by the extremely nice and courteous staff who did whatever they could to make our stay a pleasant one, and in fact were the determining factor in choosing this hotel. I especially commend the young Costarrican receptionist with the spiky hair for being efficient and anxious to please. The amenities are par for the category and type of hotel and the location was right in the middle of everything within minutes of Parque Morazán and the pedestrian only streets. The decor is of a different era, which is fine although I found the breakfast nothing special and the pool rather small. I did not use the spa, but could see that it was located above the pool. The gym was decent, definitely a bonus. We visited about 4 hotels before deciding on Santo Tomas and felt that it provided good value. We did not have any problems with outside noise leaking in and had a restful experience. Most hotels of this size i.e. small do not have parking. Santo Tomas does have parking for an extra fee which is fair considering the very narrow streets and general hubbub. All in all, we are gratified that the ownership and staff hold customer service very highly and would not have any qualms about staying again in the future. We would also like to thank the owner for his attentiveness and for taking the time to personally accompany us to the right freeway exit. I would like to stress that all things remaining the same, it is the details that end up making the difference. The staff of the other hotels we looked at would do well to follow the example of Santo Tomas. A sincere welcome and can do attitude can often do more than a big pool!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Hola Chachalaca in San Marcos, WOW that's a very comprehensive review, with many outstanding comments , Thank You ! I like and really enjoy , being a host and it's my pleasure to assist our clients in having a positive Costa Rica travel experience. Again Thank You , Hope to see you again on your return to Costa Rica Thomas

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here on my first night in San Jose. Staff were all very pleasant and helpful from management & front desk to cleaning staff. Thomas upgraded my room. It was huge, very clean and comfortable. After travelling very basic for a few weeks, this was very welcome and the hot fast shower wonderful. I do prefer a room with a window to the outside and mine was internal, but that would be only negative comment. Garden area is pleasant and a nice surprise in a rather dirty city. Location is good; an easy walk only a few blocks from the city centre and with a nice park around the corner. Im staying here again on my last night in Costa Rica after travelling the country.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

HI Christine, Great to know that you are coming back to the Santo Tomas after your travels. Many clients use us just for that , we do have free baggage storage and turn around laundry service, wash and fold in about 4 hours. We charge a very reasonable price per kilo/ 2.2 lbs and we are happy to help. Lots of clients also start their trips off with a couple of day tours out of the hotel, it's a nice way to adjust to the change of country and culture.
Again Thank You so much for the fine review. Warmest Regards Thomas