“charming and quiet”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights but really didn’t spend much time in the hotel, we were very busy. We left early on both mornings so didn’t even get to try the breakfast. However, the building was charming inside and the room was nice . The staff on reception were helpful and spoke good English. There was free wifi which was useful and also a computer available to use in reception. The room was quite small and basic but fine for a short stay. I’d stay there again if I was in downtown San Jose for a short stopover.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Hi Gemma, thank you for the kind words and positive comments. Great to know you found the hotel charming and yes lots of my staff speaks English well. Many clients did what you did and use us for their home base for exploring . We are located on Avenue 7 at the top of the hill, so our older clients or clients that have any type of walking or breathing difficulty find us to be a super location, no big hills to trod up and down. There is great free and fast Wi-Fi in the hotel and the lobby computer is free also. Again Thank you very much Thomas

There are newer reviews for Hotel Santo Tomas

Reviewed April 1, 2013

As I've seen other reviews say, this really is a bit of a hidden gem in San Jose. The outside looks a little intimidating as you approach it, but the inside truly is an oasis. The rooms are clean and perfectly comfortable. The outside spaces within the hotel are absolutely lovely, and they provide ample opportunity to meet and mingle with other hotel guests. I enjoyed the breakfast options and the bar options by the pool. Though the hotel itself is nice, I would have to say that the service was what made my stay with a friend truly exceptional. Tomas, the owner, helped us to pick our excursion for our short stay in San Jose and was extremely helpful in every way. Additionally, the front desk staff, particularly Omar, were all extremely helpful, courteous, and friendly. The location is good if you like being within walking distance of attractions in the city, and basically all of the tour companies will pick you up at this hotel. The ride from the airport wasn't horribly long either.

In a slightly funny coincidence, my friend and I traveled from San Jose (and Hotel Santo Tomas) to Jaco where we participated in an excursion in which we met two other people who had stayed at the same hotel! They also had only positive things to say about their stay in San Jose at Hotel Santo Tomas. I believe the hotel was even willing to store their luggage for them while they excursioned out to Jaco for a few days.

1  Thank springdove42
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hola Springdove42, WOW no need for me to say anything but a Big Thank You ! Your above review just says it all in a short , concise and honest manner that other travelers will find useful , I am sure. Again a heartfelt thank you from Thomas. Warmest Regards

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel is owned and run by Tomas, an American who has been in Costa Rica for many years. I have stayed there four times and love it. Staff are excellent. Great breakfast comes with your room. There is a small pool, whirlpool, and slide from whirlpool to pool perfect for adults and children. It's location is just three blocks from the Jade Museum (my favorite), five blocks from the Gold Museum (I'm not a fan of jewelry but even guys like me can appreciate the craftsmanship), and a 15 min walk to the butterfly park (small but organized beautifully). Central Market is a pleasant 30 min walk and is a GREAT place to eat, with dozens of interesting shops and small restaurants.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a balcony room that has a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert M

HI Robert, Thanks for the great review and being a steady return customer. The tip on the balcony room is correct , it's a great price for a great room. And yes that leisure walk to everywhere is a fun thing to do. Also all day tours travelers are picked up and dropped off right here at the hotel front door !! Again Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you again soon in the future . Thomas

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is the best place to stay in San Jose. They have a pool/hot tub to relax in. We stayed here one night while waiting to catch a plane back to the US. All of the staff is very friendly. Their breakfast was excellent. They have a bar and happy hour which is nice so that you don't have to go out if you don't want to. I think the price is right. I would absolutely stay here again if I had a layover in San Jose.

1  Thank LifesABeach619
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

A Big Hola To San Diego ! Fantastic to know that you had a most EXCELLENT Stay in San Jose and that you used the pool and hot tub. Just like you did many clients toss in a few righteous drinks made by Carlos our bartender at happy hour from 4 to 7 and just chill. And thanks so much for appreciating the free hot cooked breakfast. This is a real added value to the room and most clients are happy to have it. Looking forward to your next visit in Costa Rica ! Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Santo Tomas, and am pleased to share my positive experience.

Thomas, the owner of the hotel, is very personable. He warmly greeted me upon my arrival. I was particularly impressed that he took the time to accompany me during my walk to Parque Morazan (where I was meeting a tour group) to help orient me to the city.

His front desk staff was professional and helpful.

I found the hotel's location to be convenient, and close to interesting sites in the city.

My room was tidy, comfortable, and charmingly furnished.

The included breakfast made the morning of my checkout more convenient.

I belive that Hotel Santo Tomas offers excellent qualities at a very attractive price. If/when I return to San Jose in the future, I would gladly stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank jtambot
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Hola Jtambot, Thanks so much for the nice review. I hope your tour went well and was enjoyable. Your comment of ( Hotel Santo Tomas offers excellent qualities at a very attractive price ) is something potential new guest will appreciate . Hope to see you again in the future. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at your hotel. It was so quaint, pretty (loved the colors), and the staff was very friendly. I was so glad that I didn't stay at the big box hotel a couple of blocks away. Location was perfect. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt safe there and I appreciated the 24/7 attendant at the front office. Breakfast was good, and the price was extremely reasonable. I took pictures and sent them home to friends, who asked for contact information, which I was happy to send.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Betty S
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Hola Betty, Wonderful review and my staff sends their thanks as well. We have many single women travelers for just the reason you commented on, safe, clean, quiet and bilingual staff on site 24/7. I really appreciate your comments about the price, value and breakfast all being extremely reasonable. And rest assured we will take good care of you referrals !
Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this lovely hotel for two different weekends during my travels through different regions in Costa Rica. The charm of this historic building in addition to the hard-working and helpful staff really make this hotel a wonderful value for travellers who do not need all the 5 star amenities and gloss of larger chain hotels. You can easily settle into this very homey hotel, enjoying the adorable little pool and the good food from the kitchen. The rooms are clean, if slightly out-dated, but are well cared-for.
The location is central and within an easy walk to several famous tourist sites, including museums, Avenido Centrale with all its shopping, and the extraordinary Teatro Nacionale. As for the staff, Carlos, Miguel and the rest of the staff are the real gems of this hotel and really do go out of their way to do anything they can to help their guests! Thank you again for a wonderful stay, and for all your assistance with my travel plans. I would gladly return and am happy to recommend your hotel. Pura Vida!! Catherine Finlayson

Room Tip: Main floor rooms are the original house and the upper floor is a fairly recent addition, so it just...
1  Thank Ktsf57

Hola to Toronto and Ktfs57, Miguel , Carlos and the rest of the staff have seen your comments and send a big thank you! Your short , concise and accurate details of the hotel, services and amenities are outstanding and I am sure will be of great assistance to other travelers. I hope you can return in the near future. Safe Travels Thomas