“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Santo Tomas

Hotel Santo Tomas
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We spent two days at Hotel Santo Tomas while flying down to Bocas Del Toro, Panama. Can not say enough about the staff they were great. They were very willing to talk to use and answer our questions about the area. They had several suggestions for us whenever we asked about what to do, eat and where to visit. They did not make suggestions that seemed to be only for the money making benefit of tourist companies that they may have a connection with. This is San Jose, Costa Rica. A great city with very liberal views concidering that we were very happy to see the cleanliness of our room and bedding. We spent three days here on our travel back the the United States and that stay was equally enjoyable and we even met the owner Tomas. He made sure we were treated well and showed a personal interest that our stay was as good as it could get. This hotel is for those who want to feel the full charm of Central America and San Jose, you will be smack dab in the middle of it. Highly recommended and I will return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott C
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Hola Scott, I think your last two sentences really sets the tone for how a visitor should approach San Jose. You have demonstrated that you have an open mind about traveling and are non judgmental. I try to do the same when I travel, just observe and think OK, so that's how it is here. Then you will have a fine cultural experience and most likely a great vacation. Your very positive comments about us , what we do and that we are genuinely interested in our clients is spot on. I try to set the example to all of my staff that we are Costa Rica good will ambassadors and it's crucial that clients go away feeling that we care. Hope you have a lovely Holiday Season. Thomas

There are newer reviews for Hotel Santo Tomas

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay. The hotel is a historic building, which is built very strongly and really nice inside. The staff were wonderful and upgraded our room for free because it was empty that night. They arranged a taxi for us in the morning and made our trip easy without knowing a lot of spanish. The food was also delicious and reasonably priced. The layout of the hotel is very nice and seems much more private and romantic than most hotels. I recommend this place.

1  Thank Kristofer H

Hola Kristofer, Wonderful to hear that you had a great experience here at the Santo Tomas. The layout of the hotel is different to most in San Jose, as fortunately I have been able to add nice open air and covered view terraces along with balcony rooms , something which most San Jose hotels don't offer along with a jacuzzi and pool by the restaurant. All on these items help to make it romantic. Your comments about the restaurant are most appreciated by me as some clients think that hotel restaurants are not good. My chef, Manuel is 58 years old and has worked in such places as the Marriott and the Intercontinental to name two. We work hard here to provide healthy plates of food with good portions at a reasonable price . Carlos the bartender also serves up some very tasty Pina Coladas at HAppy Hour 4 to 7 pm ! Again Thank you so much for your great review . Happy Holidays to you and family Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I had no plans when we landed in CR. I booked this hotel because in the reviews it mentions that the owner and hotel are great when helping with travel plans. This is 100% true! Thomas the owner gave us great perspective and advise. He convinced us to hire a car and it was the best decision we made. This is a great place to have as a base when traveling CR and a lot of the guests did exactly that. This allowed us also to get some great advice from other travelers. The hotel is clean and the staff are helpful/friendly. We took advantage of the Jacuzzi especially since it can be a bit chilly at night in San Jose. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Tip: San Jose is very unimpressive and I suggest to spend your time traveling the rest of the country

1  Thank travellaklb

Hey A big Shout out from Thomas here in San Jose ! Thanks for the outstanding review and I think you are right about us being a great San Jose base hotel. I have many travelers that do just that by staying here 3 or 4 nights and taking some wonderful combo day tours. It's pretty hard t do them by yourself efficiently even with a rental car. By the time you add , gas at 6 US per gallon, park fees, lunches and just not knowing where to go the tours really do turn out to be a pretty good bargain. We can assist everyone 24/7 in all of these matters and then , just as we did with you ! I hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season and thanks so much for taking your time to write such a nice review. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed at this gem of a small hotel for about 3 weeks in Jan. 2010. (Procrastinated to write a review, but never forgot the hotel.) I got to know the superb, friendly and efficient staff. ( Miguel, Doris, Mauricio and others). I met the owner, an American man who has lived in Costa Rica for years,

It was a delightful stay. The location is supeb; right in the heart of downtown, just around the corner from the more pricy Holiday Inn. You can walk to almost any downtown destination from here. (Although, taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.) The hotel is not luxurious, but it is basic, very clean, and well run. The breakfast buffet is varied and delicious. The courtyard is a nice outdoor oasis and relaxation space. I felt quite at home for a longer stay. And, I would gladly stay here again, when I return to San Jose.

Helen S. from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: Better to choose a room which is not facing the front of the hotel and the street. It gets a bit noi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Helen131313777
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Hola Helen from Thomas here in San Jose, What a genuine and most rewarding surprise that after almost a year of having stayed here, you remembered and presented Trip Advisor with such a warm and wonderful review. My staff has already seen your kind words and sends a heartfelt Thank You ! Geezz ! what else can I say about your comments , except a big thank you from me personally and I hope you have a safe and joy filled holiday. Looking forward to your next visit in Costa Rica . Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The staff here make ewverything easy. Muricio, Migual and Hosea do every thing thet can to make your trip great. The hotel is in the middle of the hussel bussel but desinged to make you feel like a your on a quiet and private vacation. Work on your tan by the pool or have a romantic encounter with your wife in the private hot tub. They have a well stocked work out room and a private room for parties. I stayed there on my first trip and return to visit often.

Room Tip: They have rooms of all sizes and prices. Choose the one that is right for you.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JohnnyDarkness
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Hi Johnny, Thanks so much for you most excellent review ! That's great that you named some of my front desk staff and we should include Doris there as well. They all work as a team 24/ 7 to provide information and arrange tours and car rental services. You title just says it all and it is the experience that you had that we are constantly striving for our guests. Most guests say from the entrance it is very deceiving , but once you are inside, the courtyards and covered view terraces along with the hot jacuzzi and pool side / happy hour and dining help to provide one with pleasant restful, surrounding after a day of walking, traveling or touring. Johnny thanks again so much for the outstanding review . Warmest and Happy Holidays from Thomas

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I spent a great week at this hotel earlier this month. It is truly an oasis and a great bargain in the heart of San Jose. The facility is immaculate, the pool and hot tub are wonderful, and the restaurant and food are great. The owner Tomas is a gringo who has lived many years in Costa Rica and Doris, Mauricio and the rest of the staff are very courteous and knowledgeable of the area.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the stairs, request one of the newer remodeled rooms on the second floor with...
2  Thank dyhastings
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Hola Mr Hastings, thanks so much for taking your time to write this great review. That is how I see the hotel property , a small gem in the heart of San Jose that needs to be continually polished. It's really nice that you mentioned my staff. Miguel, Doris, Mauricio and Jose are my front line team here and they all work together to make it happen each and every day. All of them are trained in tour and travel planning along with car rental services and it is our pleasure to assist with making this happen , just ask 24/7 . Many other clients agree with you about it being a bargain and this is one of the things we strive to present. Again thank you so much for your review and I am happy you had a wonderful experience here in Costa Rica. Warmest Regards Thomas

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here twice, once at the start of our trip for one night and again at the end for two nights. Our first stay was ok - we had booked a superior room and it was fine for what we needed after a long flight but nothing special.
However, our second stay was a nightmare. We booked a superior room again and the room we were given failed to meet the description. The bathroom was tiny and the room was dingy. It was right at the front of the hotel and suffered from the worst of San Jose's very heavy traffic. We managed to sleep through one night as the traffic eased off after 10pm and my boyfriend had to be up very early for a rafting trip the next day.
However, the noise started up again at 6am, getting progressively louder. By the second night it was unbearably noisy at almost 11pm with the bed and windows actually shaking when bigger vehicles went past. As we had to get up at 5.30am we got so frustrated we went to see the night manager who was extremely unhelpful and actually lied to our faces saying the hotel was fully booked even when we could see empty rooms with their doors open. He tried to say that other guests were arriving late before admitting he was only waiting on another two couples when we could see at least three double rooms free on the ground floor alone. After becoming very surly he finally called senior management and we moved to a different room - not a superior one which we had paid for but it was a little quieter.
Otherwise, location was fine but breakfast was basic. There are better places to stay in San Jose - especially if you like your hotel staff to be friendly and welcoming or you like getting a good night's sleep.

4  Thank Ria-on-the-road

Hi Ria from the UK, This is from Thomas the owner and I do apologize for obviously failing to have you leave as a happy customer , something we do on a very high percentage basis, as almost all reviews testify to here.

The room that you stayed in during your second visit was another standard room just different from the first. AS we are a historical landmark , the rooms are not cookie cuter in size or design. My new section upstairs for only a few dollars more, are more uniform as I was not restricted by the government on design.

The senior management person you mentioned was me , Mauricio, my receptionist has been on staff for over 9 years and normally does a good job. He did not lie to you about anything, we were very full and I had very few options to choose from. I would gladly have put you in my best room in the hotel if it was possible. I spent at least 10 minutes trying to find a room that would be quiet and also please you. Checking the computer system who could we change around and what could we possibly do. Alas to no avail I failed , but it was not for not trying or caring. It is very common for us to have check-ins at all different hours of the night. We leave the doors open for rooms not checked in as it give the clients a chance to view them and maybe make an upgrade decision.

Most clients appreciate and find our FREE Hot cooked breakfast consisting of fruit plate, two fresh juices, toast, jam, coffee, tea, eggs cooked to order, gallo pinto ( a local Costan Rica dish) and wonderful sauces to liven it up a great Freebie ! This is at least a $7.00 dollar breakfast across the street. I again apologize it was not sufficient to make you happy. I fully understand you were angry and had every right to be so, I hope you will give us another chance in the future to change your mind about the Hotel Santo Tomas. Happy Holidays to the both of you . Thomas