“We would return...”

Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Halifax, Canada
“We would return...”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We would return if we are ever in San Jose overnight again. Our flight got in late and we were a bit concerned driving through what appeared to be a run down part of town but were met at the door and welcomed to the hotel. As others have said, we discovered the next day that we were within walking distance of everything we wanted to see, the Jade Museum and the Gold Museum. The owner came and introduced himself while we were eating breakfast our first morning. Very welcoming. We stayed a couple of nights. We asked for a car rental recommendation when we booked online and were very happy with C and R Save Car Rental. We enjoyed our stay and recommend Hotel Santo Tomas.

Room Tip: We had an inner courtyard room which was quiet although on the ground floor with a window looking ou...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skibinski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Finnish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Friendly, helpful staff and owner. Beautiful garden/pool area, great little gym outside. Perfect for a short stay in San Jose.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Chance31310
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Hi Chance, thanks for the short , concise and clear appraisal of the hotel and myself. That's what we serve up to our clients. Please come back and send your friends !! Thomas
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My two sons and I stayed here for the last two nights of a great 10 day vacation. What a great happenstance find! We wanted to experience being right in the center of things, chill out in the "big city" and see a museum - which is right around the corner and not to be missed. It's the museum dedicated to Costa Rica's interesting currency history and has fabulous pre-columbian antiquities and artifacts locked behind massive bank vault doors.

Back to the hotel… This hotel is on the top of my personal favorite CR accommodations list now. I have been to CR twice and will return again - and Santo Tomas is where I'll stay when in San Jose.

The room was excellent: large w/ two comfortable beds (perfect for 3 family-related guys), clean, large screen TV, working wi-fi, good shower - and very quiet. The decor was very tasteful, loved the obvious attention to detail throughout the entire hotel - the colors, nice wood and tile. The hotel's outdoor areas include not only a small but nice courtyard pool with hot tub/jacuzzi, but two comfortable terraces (also equipped w/TV's). The adjacent bar/restaurant area is great and drinks are good. Good place to hang out and meet other guests if one is so inclined (my sons and I are this type of traveller). The kitchen is decent with some dishes excellent - try the Ceviche.

San Jose is a wild n' crazy Big City and as such makes for an interesting transition for eco-tourists, whether at the front-end or exit part of a visit. I like it being the latter, a good place that wasn't too far from the airport and quite literally (as described elsewhere in these reviews) a literal "oasis."

One other item to share:I want to generously thank Thomas, the owner for helping this gringo find his way to the main road- no small feat in SJ as many will attest. As I was about to depart the hotel, my GPS FAILED. With sweat rolling down my forehead at 8 AM in the morning from the semi-terror of having to negotiate a tight time-run to the airport, Thomas jumped into the car and personally guided me through the labyrinth of one way and pot-holed streets! He graciously wished me Bon Voyage - a full mile and a half away from his hotel. How's that for personal service and going the extra, literal mile?

Thanks Tom. I'll (we'll) be back- hopefully soon. Keep the Imperial's cold and please make sure your kitchen has plenty of that super Ceviche!

Room Tip: Go for one of the quieter inside rooms if available; a few extra colones is still one of the best ba...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank hollowneck
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Hi Hollowneck, This is a personal Thank You from Thomas. Thanks so much for your positive comments about the hotel and myself. I remember well the look on your face that morning and the sweat rolling down. Hey what's a guy supposed to do !! These type of incidences are what make my life so enjoyable at the hotel. It was truly my pleasure to get you down the road and in the right direction. I hope potential clients reading this take to heart your comments and realize there are some fine things to do here in and around San Jose. We are more than happy to assist with tour, car rental and travel planning in the hotel. We have been doing it for the past 22 years. Once again thank you so much for you kind words. Warmest Regards: Thomas
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This place has got it all. Great beds, quiet rooms, large screen TVs, library with three lounges for reading, one with a view of the city. Swimming pool and spa. You can walk to three days worth of entertainment including a zoo, gold museum, House of Jade (archaeology) and tons of great shopping. You are within a block of the Holiday Inn which charges about 6 times more for poorer rooms. Three great parks close by and 50 cents will take you ten miles any direction on the buses which stop close by---every 5 minutes, if you can believe it. Rating AAAAA+++++

Room Tip: Chose a small cozy room or a large one with views. They are all great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MickeyDesMoines
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Hi Micky, This is from Thomas, the owner and I wanted to say personal big thank you for your comments on the hotel. In one small , concise and accurate paragraph you have summed up what , we have attempted to do on an everyday basis for the past 22years. We do have all types of rooms for different budgets from $50.00 US to about $90.00 including lots of extras, many guests comments on our free hot breakfast and WIFI. The location is just as you described it and the new rooms upstairs are worth the few extra bucks. Again thank you Mickey and I hope we may serve you again in the future. Thomas
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff, the lady in the morning helped with travel plans and the man at the front desk in the afternoon was so great and really went out of his way to help us.
Rooms were clean. Location was perfect for everything.
We liked it so much we came back to stay a second time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle83_12
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Hi Jane, thank you for your comments and yes San Jose is the capital city and as such a busy place , full of the everyday life of Costa Ricans along with many parks, museums, shopping, day tours and many other activities to enjoy. A real cultural experience can be enjoyed here. And yes we are a great location to enjoy these many attractions. Again thank you from Thomas .
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed June 4, 2012

lovely little hotel. great staff. perfect location. Unfortuneately San Jose is a noisy place and with the windows in the room open, it was a little too noisy. None the less, I highly recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jane s
AdvisorHST, Owner at Hotel Santo Tomas, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Hi Isabella, This is from Thomas, the owner and I really thank you for your review. Your one short sentence sums it up pretty well ! Please recommend us to your friends and come again :-)
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

My family and I loved this lovely hotel. My kids enjoyed the pool. I was very happy it had its own parking facility within the complex of the hotel. It is very clean and has beautiful tiled floors! The owner Mr. Thomas, who's is an American, and the staff made us feel at home. The hotel is a block away from an ATM and two blocks away from a super market. We will definitely go back! Ohhh....the coffee machine is GREAT!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family