Lowest prices for your stay
Delta Hotels
Bill Buster Charters
Saint Helena Island, South Carolina
15 years
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jun 24, 2019via mobile
Hotel has changed staff again.
I’ve stayed here for 15 years. Use to enjoy knowing everyone. Now every time new staff.
It’s just not the same.
Breakfast is okay Could be improved .
Well takes care if even with new staff.
Date of stay: June 2019Trip type: Traveled with friends
    $121
2.5 miles from Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola
View more hotels in San Jose
1,159 results
All reviews costa rica business center downtown hotel floor bellman morazan tours country neighborhood
Selected filters
Reviewed June 5, 2019

I wanted to base my touring of Costa Rica in San Jose and be able to walk around downtown when I had a chance. I booked the Holiday Inn Aurola and was very glad that I did. If you are looking to be able to walk to the main part of downtown San Jose and be able to walk to the National Theatre in 5 minutes, I would recommend this hotel. The staff was nice and I had a great view of the city from my 12th floor room. Although you are a few blocks off from the main part of downtown, I felt safe and the hotel had a nice park right in front if you wanted to visit. I had booked my stay with a breakfast buffet every morning which was nice on the mornings that I could have breakfast. I was not able to have breakfast on two of the mornings as my tours picked me up at 5:30 am before breakfast started. All my tours picked me up and dropped me off at my hotel, which I also liked. Overall a very nice hotel, which I would stay at again, if I visit San Jose, Costa Rica again.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Katherine May M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2019

We are satisfied to receive comments like yours, this shows us that all our staff does their work conscientiously making our guests have a wonderful experience during their stay at our Hotel
If in the future you visit San Jose please take us as your lodging option will be a please to serve you

Sincerely
front Office Manager

Reviewed June 2, 2019

Even though most people gave me a "face" when I said I wanted to see San Jose, it was worth it to see how the city folk live. There are lots of things to see, even though (understandably) it's a somewhat typical city and people don't go to Costa Rica for the city. This hotel is perfectly located - walking distance to EVERYTHING we wanted to see. They serve a big complimentary breakfast. And, their mojitos are really GREAT!

Date of stay: May 2019
Katherine May M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2019

This is the reason why every day we work hard, is so that all our guests can experience the best of the stays in our Hotel,

For us will be special if you choose us as your lodging preference in your next visit to our country , we will be glad to serve you

Front Office Manager

Reviewed May 30, 2019

What I find sad about this place is the following experience. Whilst standing at the reception, an American couple approached the desk and asked for the corner room. The reception guy said it wasn't available. The lady then passed him a $20 bill and the room became vacant within seconds.I won't mention the guys name because I don't want to cost him his job, just point out the hotel attitude! We had a room with a 'locked' minibar, to get it opened we needed to hand over our credit card! Dual standards and a nasty taste.

This event perhaps epitomises the entire hotel. The breakfast desk was just as unhelpful. Nothing happened at this hotel without 'palms' being greased.

The room was fine, but a standard Holiday Inn room, this one with a locked minibar. The aircon was freezing and the bellboy told us the only way to adjust it, was to turn it off.

The breakfast was nice and the position of the hotel was good.

We wouldn't return without a few $20 bills in hand.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Katherine May M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2019

As you have brought this matter to our attention , we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to make improvements for all our guests.

We apologize for any dissatisfaction during you stay and hope that you will consider returning to our Hotel and see all our improvements

Best Regards

Front Desk Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

Situated in a bad area and apparently this has rubbed off on the staff.
Very few speak English and the ones that do are quite poor. They tell you yes when you ask for a service but then they never deliver on it.

Facilities in poor shape and breakfast is so-so, I’d never go back for the price they are asking.

Probably worst hotel experience I ever had and I backpacked through Cambodia.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Katherine May M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2019

Each comment we receive adds value to our work and the efforts we make to make the stay of our guests spectacular experience.
For this reason we thank you for sending us your comments about our Hotel, these are taken into consideration for the implementation of improvements
We would like to extend our apologies if had faced any inconveniences during your stay with us
Thank you very much for your comments Our team will work hard to make our guest stay as pleasant as possible

Sincerely

Front Office Manager

Reviewed May 22, 2019

The Holiday Inn Aurola hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica displays 5 stars next to their front door, but it is a 2 stars hotel at best.

The building is really old and in bad shape; the shower barely provides hot water, the toilets are old, and even the pillows and mattress smell.

I e-mailed Katherine May, the Front Office Manager, twice prior to my arrival, but she never responded. When I checked-in on May 12, 2019, I left her a written message with the Front Desk staff asking to talk to her, the following day I stopped by again to remind them of my request, but Katherine never got in touch with me.

If safety is an important issue to you, beware that this hotel is located in a bad neighborhood in Downtown San Jose; daytime is kind of OK to walk around, but after dark is very dangerous especially due to al the brothels gathered one block away from the hotel, which attracts the wrong people; it is common to see drug addicts walking up and down the nearby streets.

For comparable rates there are many other hotels in San Jose that offer better service and have better facilities.

Room tip: All rooms are noisy very early in the morning due to heavy bus traffic around the hotel; windows are not soundproof.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Katherine May M, Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2019

Best Regards