“Holiday Inn Aurola”

Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola
Ranked #24 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 17, 2014

All in all it's a very nice facility. The staff were very helpful and had no problem with English. Clean and well kept. May have been a five star hotel a few years ago but is beginning to show some signs of wear and tear. Carpets are a bit frayed and thin. I had the Presidential Suite and it was a tremendous bargain. The first morning I had no hot water and the shower was certainly "refreshing". The second morning it was luke warm but manageable. By the third morning I had more hot water than I ever wanted. The flush button popped out on the floor which left the toilet running but was repaired post-haste. It was interesting that there was no soap dish in the shower. Had a good looking jacuzzi and sauna but I didn't have the chance to use them. I went down for breakfast one morning and the pans in the buffet were empty so I opted out. The Palma bar was friendly and the staff very helpful. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who is not looking for lush luxury but a good clean hotel with a helpful staff. The prices were very good.

Room Tip: Not sure if the breakfast is included if you don't have a suite. Also the WiFi. It was include...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear btwatsvc;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Aurola.

We do appreciate your comments and feedback since it gives us the chance to improve our services. We do apologize for the issues you had with hot water and breakfast. I will follow up these items to the engineering and food and beverage managers in order to guarantee similar situations won’t happen again in the future.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you next time you visit San José Downtown. Once again, thanks for your review.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I can't say enough about our stay at this hotel. The Valet staff, particularly Toni was amazing during our two week stay he went above and beyond to ensure our family had everything we needed, he heated up my sons left over pizza at 10:00 at night after being in the pool and on our last night I was in the pool with my kids and came up to say goodbye, really nice guy you don't see this often. The housekeeper took great care of us gave us everything we requested and more. On one of the nights we came to our room and it reeked of cigarettes my husband called the front desk and quickly someone came up and offered another room and did a building check to locate where the smell was coming from since it's non-smoking rooms; bottom line the issue was addressed immediately. The pool is really nice, very clean and always stocked with towels. The gym is not top of the line but sufficed for a decent workout. The location is ideal center of San Jose and I would recommend two restaurants for breakfast La Crollita and Azafran really good breakfast in walking distance. I also had one of the best pina colodas made by bartender Orlando, it was amazing delicious not too sweet and not strong. My family loved this hotel and we would stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: If possible I requested a room in the upper levels 12 and up the view at night is beautiful and it w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
AurolaHolidayInn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Eyleen C;
We do appreciate your kind comments about your recent experience at Holiday Inn Aurola.

I’m so happy to hear our staff took care of your family and they loved the experience during your two week stay. We’ll definitely look forward to welcome you again next time you visit San José.

Thanks for your review and pura vida!!!!

Front Desk Manager.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location near downtown San Jose. Rooms are clean and rates include breakfast. A casino on the top floor with free buffet as well as a 4 star restaurant. Also a nice bar upstairs from the lobby. City park across the street makes for a picture perfect setting. It always helps to speak a bit of Spanish but not required.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a great view, day or night.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Randall H;

It’s great to hear you have a nice time discovering our city and enjoy our locations in San José Downtown.

We appreciate the time you take to share your comments and we hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you next time!

Pura Vida!!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel July 4th weekend and was insulted by the rude and unprofessional staff. I meet someone at a nightclub the evening before and that person came back to my room but did not spend the night. The next evening that individual called and wanted to meet at the hotel and go to dinner. This hotel has one those elevator systems where you need a room key to use. I had to meet the individual in the lobby. We were stopped by the staff returning to my room and they demanded that I pay a visitors fee of $70 for my guest. This was in the lobby in front of everyone. I told them to add the amount to the bill and they refused. I was told I have to present them with a credit card now, they had no card on file. My friend had to remain in the lobby. Do you know how embarrassing the staff made us feel. When I checked out of the hotel they somehow found the card on file to bill for other items. Other than the rude staff the hotel location is good but the furniture looks like it's from 1982. The rooms could use a little sprucing!

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Jefforl;

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola.
I do apologize you felt embarrassed by our staff. I will like to know more details about your stay.
Would you please contact us directly at gfernandez@aurolahotels.com.

We do appreciate your comments and hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I had a great experience during my business trip to San Jose staying at the Holiday inn Aurola in June 2014. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and treat me like family. The downtown hotel is walking distance to shopping areas and they have taxis right there waiting for you. The top level restaurant provides great views and superb cuisine. Highly recommend it.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Nelly0711;

We are so happy to hear you felt like home during your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola.

I will past your kindly words to our staff and appreciate the time you had take to write your review!

I hope you can come back in the future and have some time to discover our city as well.

Kindly,

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Holiday Inn Aurola had very efficient and good service. The checkin took no time and my 12th floor room faced the mountain that was excellent to wake up to. Amenities were good and bedding was very comfortable. Fast wifi.

There is the Grayline tour desk as well as another one by the front entrance. Both were excellent in terms of getting tours or if you simply want to venture out on your own (ask Grayline for a local map.) The Grayline tour desk recommended La Criollita that had tasty and filling breakfast and where most ticos go to! As I always recommend, when traveling, try immersing into local culture and ask for suggestions.

And like many other hotels in the city, they would store your luggage if you have checked out already.

Location wise, while it is a couple blocks north of the major streets, it is separated by the Parque Morazan, which is not safe to walk around at night. So instead of wandering out for dinner on a Sunday night when most places close at 9pm (you could cross the street and grab an ice cream), I decided to eat at Tropicana Restaurant inside the hotel. The fish dish was good and the drink was strong.

In addition, they also included a complimentary drink at the La Palma Bar which was decent too.

They also got me the local red cab to the airport. Generally many said only locals would take it but since it's from the trusting hotel, I was pleased to have a good ride and it was cheaper than what I paid for when taking a shuttle van at the airport to the hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Ginn2902, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear TaminatorSF;

Thanks for share your kind comments and words about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Aurola. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the heart of San Jose, the local culture and typical food.

We hope you continue to choose Holiday Inn Aurola next time you visit our country!! Once again, thanks for your review.

Pura Vida!!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Booked via IHG for 79$. Arrived late evening to a lobby which was partially closed up for a cleaning of the carpets (not inviting at all). Check in was OK, not particularly friendly, but polite. Benefits provided to Gold members is a free drink per night at teh bar, no breakfast or bottled water.

The room itself was decently sized with plenty of window, decent view of SJO, good king bed, nice clean bathroom, free wifi. The TV is old school CRT with decent selection of channels. The aroma of the room was unpleasant, musty, light cat pee, maybe due to tropical clime. Air conditioning helped a bit with attenuating the odor.

The gym was decently appointed with ellipticals, treadmills, some weights. The pool was nice but again, some renovation work made the area unappealing to the eye. The Jacuzzi was OK.
The location is good, with plenty of dinning options around (ask the bellboys), Auto Mercado is 2 blocks away for groceries...the immediate area is OK to walk at night (Morazan park is lively with youths hanging around) but if you walk to far, it can get a little iffy (you do get a warning). I did not partake in the breakfast at the hotel (15$ buffet). I did use my free drinks and the young lady serving me was very pleasant...go for the Pura Vida (anything with a lil. guaro is good).

If this hotel could get some reno work and updates, it would be a really good option...I still recommend it.

Room Tip: book direct with IHG,...take advantage of 5000 points offer for 20$ more.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Lubiere

Dear Lubiere;

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experience at our Property. We do apologize our lobby were partially closed by your check in time and our hotel were under some renovations. It is important to us to consistently provide good quality in order to guarantee a nice and pleasant stay.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you next time you visit San José Downtown.