“Nice escape”

Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola
Ranked #24 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 20, 2013

as soon as we arrived at the Holiday Inn, we felt taken care of. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help. Whether it be by recommending places to visit, or ensuring that you're prepared for a 3AM trip to the airport (Not just a wake up call, but providing someone at your door to help take luggage for you).
Carlos was at the front desk for most of our stay and he was very informative about the area. Very nice and always had a smile. He even told us where to go to see a piece of the Berlin Wall!

The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. Perfect for a good night's rest after a full day flying. The rooms were nice and cool. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

the breakfasts were extremely good. I loved that they provided a lot of authentic Costa Rican meals. They were fantastic! Make sure to eat at the restaurant at least once. Prices are fair and the portion size is awesome!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LindsayD820
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Our staff loves to take care of our guests and we have been working very hard on the restaurant and are thrilled you enjoyed your meals.

We hope you come to see us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here in December 2011 for 3 weeks. It is by far the best place to stay in San Jose for business. I was in a corner suite on an upper floor, and the furniture was in great condition - the room was welcoming and nice to come back to after a long day out. The room had 2 large TVs and 2 bathrooms, plus a nice dressing room. I was having terrible trouble with the internet, to the point that I had to go in the lobby to get a decent connection. The staff noticed (I didn't have to complain) and they said, "A businessperson staying with us for 3 weeks should not have to come to the lobby for internet." They ended up putting a router directly in my room and it worked perfectly. During that time I did look around at other hotels, and I felt that for the money, this was by far the best choice. The staff were fantastic - really pleasant and helpful. We had a minor earthquake when I was there and since I was on a high floor, I felt the building sway. It freaked me out, but the manager explained that the building was built to earthquake standards - it was built on rollers so that it would sway instead of crack during an earthquake. And indeed, they had earthquake safe zones on every floor.

The location is also great for tourists. You can walk to a lot of the attractions in downtown San Jose. Yes, it's not particularly safe outside at night, but I don't think anywhere in San Jose is particularly safe outside at night. In addition, there's an American-style grocery store about 2 blocks away and I loved going there to get all sorts of Costan Rican foods for a lot less than the hotel restaurant. In fact, my only real complaint about the hotel is the room service. I'm allergic to nuts, and I can't tell you how many times they gave me nutella ice cream instead of chocolate ice cream. They got my order wrong more than right, from breakfast to dinner. But they were good humored about having to fix my order all the time.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Holiday Inn for the great rooms, the location, and the fantastic staff. The value for money is outstanding and you're just not going to find a better deal anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank everglades_gal
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We really enjoyed having you as our guest and we are glad we were able to provide you with what you needed for your stay to be comfortable, and productive.

Thank you for your great review, and we really are sorry about the nuts.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hoilday Inn was good. The hotel is in a great location right by Main ST. The staff was great, they got me into my room in minutes. The room was clean and just great. The taxi from the airport is $27 to the hotel. The taxi from the hotel to the airport was $30.

The only con about the holiday is that it did not have a ATM in it or close by.

Room Tip: Get a high room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank roncee12
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and our great location. We hope you will come back to San Jose soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions and recently stayed again in a corner room on the 7th floor. Very nice room, excellent view. I also was upgraded to the Executive lounge, which has a small, free breakfast with fruit, cereal, pastries, juice, coffee, etc as well as drinks and snacks in the evening.

I was also able to use the small conference room on the 15th floor to work and conduct some interviews.

Check in was fast and very friendly.

Rooms are large and the beds comfortable.

Room Tip: get a corner room or one as high up in the building as possible
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BruceinFlorida
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our conference facilities worked for your interviews. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My BF and I stayed her for a few nights recently. We were on the executive floor, had a beautiful Corner room with an AMAZING view. The room was clean, nice bathroom and shower, and the bed great. The pool area was pretty, relaxing, and both times we used it, we were the only ones there. The only downsides were that the jacuzzi was NOT warm enough, it was the same temp as the pool. However playing ping pong was miserable after a few minutes due to the fact that the room was probably at least 85 degrees. Fine for the jacuzzi and pool, not good for ping pong.

The downsides: The executive center was a JOKE. The food at breakfast was not good at all. Milk was sitting out, lukewarm, yogurt too. Bread was not fresh. In the evening, it was supposed to be light snacks from 5-7. If you got there much after 6pm you were out of luck.

My BF's daughter came to visit us the first day we were there, she is a student in San Jose. We met in the lobby and then we decided to go upstairs to show her the awesome view in the room, but were stopped and were told we would have to pay $85 dollars to have a guest in the room. We were like, we just want to go up for 5 or 10 minutes.... nope, no can do! So his daughter explained that they thought she was a hooker, that right across the street is the Del Rey, where dozens and dozens of working girls ply their trade each night and lots of guys bring girls back to their hotel rooms and so I guess the hotel is trying to get their cut.

Having said that, a few days later as we were sitting in the lobby waiting to speak to the front desk agent about another matter we see a girl come in who was dressed in such a way that anyone in their right mind could see that she was a hooker, she walked over to the bellman, handed him something and then he put her on the elevator and accessed the executive floor with his key and sent her on up. Now I am not sure what exactly transpired in this transaction but my guess is that she was smart enough to bypass the front desk fee and apply it elsewhere. Whatever.....

I would probably not recommend this hotel actually.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tammynnc

We reviewed your comments carefully and are glad you found the hotel was clean and relaxing. We are sorry the Jacuzzi was not warm enough for you and that the pool deck was not cool enough for you.

Although prostitution is legal in Costa Rica between consenting adults, we discourage guests from inviting prostitutes to their rooms and use the fee to turn them away "nicely", without insulting them. It is not the city, or the hotel, but certain guests that come to San Jose for this type of activity. Regardless, no one at any time insinuated your friends daughter was participating in this activity and if she felt that way, we are very sorry indeed.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Once again I stayed at this hotel, this time to celebrate my birthday. Since I arrive they make me feel at home. The Bellboys are great. Carolina and Carlos do a great job at the Front Desk and they always welcome me. The room at the Executive level was nice and clean and as I always forget my toothpaste they always send me one when I request it. I think the executive level needs to have more variety of snacks. I love the breakfast buffet here but I think the variety has decrease. As always I recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: upper rooms have a great view of the city
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
norman2, Marketing Director at Holiday Inn San Jose Downtown Aurola, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

We enjoy it when you return to stay with us and are happy we could be a part of your birthday! We appreciate your business and your recommendations for our executive lounge and breakfast buffet. We are trying out new items in our breakfast to offer something different each day for our guests.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here twice in one week, in the beginning and in the end of our trip. Both times the staff was helpful and friendly, the food was good and the rooms were clean and ready for us way before the official check-in time. The pool is a nice feature. The location is convenient if you want to walk around central San Jose, although the city itself is not all that great for exploring beyond the very center. Overall, a really good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for choosing us for your 1st and last night in Costa Rica! Please visit us again soon!