“Quaint and Friendly Hotel in Barrio Amon” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hemingway Inn

Hemingway Inn
Ranked #41 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Quaint and Friendly Hotel in Barrio Amon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed at the Hemigway a number of times over the past five years, most recently in April 2012. The hotel consists of a number of old houses which have been skillfully connected together. The result is some quirky hallways, and the occaisional abrupt step uo or down. But the place reeks of charm and one can almost expect Papa Hemingway to show his face at any time. I believe there is new management. The front desk staff are certainly new and are extremely courteous, helpful, and friendly. I arrived very late at night and he postponed the checkin procedure until after I had a shower and time to run out for a quick meal. That was a nice treat after a 12 hour bus ride.
The breakfast area has been renovated quite a bit and is more pleasant, and the breakfast more substantial. Internet access from the lobby is very good. They also have the most flexible check-out time in san Jose.
The neighbourhood is very quiet so noise is not really an issue in any of the rooms.
Generally the beds are very good. I had a single the last time which wasn't the greatest but the 2nd bed in the room seemed better. The bathrooms are generally very good. My room seemed a little musty this time, unlike previous visits. But the price, the friendly staff, and the atmosphere all made the place worthwhile.

Room Tip: If you get a room that isnt to your liking, ask for another. The management aims to please.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Diverdan28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

The place to be in San Jose, Hemingway himself is right there, just perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeeJackson--1970
Oneonta, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

It is rumored that Ernest Hemingway, spent the night on several occasions at the Hemingway. The guests to this day are just as interesting as they were when the coffee magnet built the mansion. I arrived in the middle of the night exhausted from my flight. The friendly staff was more concerned with getting me to my room than doing paperwork. The next day I was given my choice of rooms where I spent a week. The staff made sure my stay was comfortable and at times went out of their way to help me. The hotel is walking distance to parks, shopping, museums, theater and bus stops. My room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great every morning. I salute Calvin, Ellis and all the staff for creating this unique environment. MC, a solo woman

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marie C
Grafton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Just got back from my stay. I was here 3 nights, and stayed in two different rooms. The first night I stayed by myself in a 42.00 room. It was small, and the bed was hard. I got into town late, and just needed it to hold me over until I could catch my bus out to Montezuma the next morning.

Calvin directed me exactly how to catch the bus, and the next morning the staff called me a cab and she told the driver exactly where to take me.

After my stay in Montezuma- where I met my brother. We decided to go back to San Jose to catch a whitewater rafting trip before we left. We booked a double room with two seperate beds for $60.00. It was a lot nicer than the first, but still small for American standards. But it had everything we needed. Also the staff was very helpful, and booked Whitewater Rafting trip for us, then gave us to tips on some good places to go while we were in town.

They have a guitar in the Lobby, and my brother was playing the guitar- it was alot of fun. We had some great conversations in the little common area with Ellis, and two ladies from New York who were artists.

If you want a unique experience stay here, if you want a typical "american" experience stay in one of the American Hotel chains. This is a different culture, and in order to really experience it you have to take the good with the bad. There were some things I really like about their culture, and some I really don't, and you probably will see or hear things that you are not used to, but to me that is the fun of travelling!

My advice is to anyone who wants to venture out of the hotel is to find Calvin or Ellis, and tell them EXACTLY what you are looking to do there for entertainment -and they can direct you. They will also advise you where you should take a cab, and where you can walk to.

Also they do have nice rooms, and basic cheap rooms- again you have to explain what your looking for.

My other tip is to have the front desk staff arrange any cab transportation, we got taken advantage of by some cabs we booked on our own- but have great experiences with the ones that they called in for us!

Room Tip: You have to tell them what your expectations are for a room, and who you are travelling with etc. I...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank timmay_12
Seabrook, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Quaint older B&B, good value, interesting guests. Calvin is making improvements to an old place that is worn, and Ellis is great manager. They go out of their way to accomodate guest's requests. Yes, it is older, smoking is allowed, there is lots of street noise (San Jose is a busy city) and somewhat dangerous outside at night. Staff is very nice, cat hangs out in lobby to ignore guests, a couple of raccoons haunt the kitchen area some nights, but very nice open courtyard, and guests are quiet. Locals do come and go, and great place to practice your Spanish.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Rich T
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We took a bit of a risk staying at the Hemingway after reading some of the reviews but put our trust in the new management. We were not disappointed. Ellis is doing a great job of turning the place around and has lots of enthusiasm and energy, he's also a pretty cool guy. The ambiance of the main communal, outside area (with the now working hot tub!) was just as I had pictured it in my head with a really relaxed and slightly surreal feel and the guitar left out for anyone to play and free Wifi connection is a nice touch. We had a pretty stressful journey to San Jose, missing our connection flight and arriving a day late but the management at the Hemingway were especially cool about this, re-booked our taxi from the airport and gave us plenty of space to wind down on arriving. Ellis even tried to get Interbus to reimburse our payment for the journey to Cahuita that we missed and helped us arrange travel on the local bus, which turned out MUCH cheaper. The location is spot on if you wish to sample a bit of the madness that is San Jose but my one bit of advise is do not visit the nearby zoo if you love animals! Seeing these beautiful creatures in such small cages is madness when you have the rest of Costa Rica to explore and see them in the wild. What were we thinking?
This hotel is work in progress but I believe it will progress very quickly with Ellis at the controls and look forward to returning some day soon. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: next time, instead of booking two separate rooms I think we will book the suite (which has two separ...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ninoooor
pahrump,nv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

--stayed at the Hemingway first time last weekend on our first trip to Costa Rica. Was very impressed with the staff and management , who went out of the way to make us feel welcome.

--some necessary refurbishing is under way which didn't affect our stay at all --the new murals were especially fascinating --look to almost be in 3-d .

--we were very impressed, both with the Hemingway and with the rest of Costa Rica and are looking forward to a return trip--

Room Tip: --second floor was fine--little street noise and good bed--
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
#44 of 85 in San Jose
Hostel Casa Del Parque
Hostel Casa Del Parque
#3 of 104 in San Jose Metro

Been to Hemingway Inn? Share your experiences!